Cleaning the dishwasher's interior and filters

TxCowboy

After a year's use, the interior of the dishwasher is pretty discolored and the filters are not nearly as clean as when they were new. Of particular interest is the FINE filter (about two inches in diameter) since it seems impossible to clean the interior of the little filter because of the housing it sits in.

What do you use to clean the interior of the dishwasher and filters?

TIA. :)

Rhyph

Heh, I was going to go there as well. :rolleyes:

I'm not sure which dishwasher you have, but the interior of ours is stainless, so no discoloration issues there.

To clean the fine filter...

wait for it....

Take it home and run it through the dishwasher in the house if you can. Comes out brand new like, and squeaky clean! I haven't had to toothbrush it first, like the one in the house, which, guess what? My dishwasher must be cannibalistic, because it likes to clean it's own filter out too after a good toothbrushing in the sink under really hot water. Then I run it through itself with an Affresh tablet in there on a empty short wash cycle.

Skywrench

Full Timer
Cleaning your dishwasher with something that removes lime like CLR or vinegar might help. Contacting the folks that make the dishwasher would be a good idea to see if they can recommend something you could run a wash cycle with.

TxCowboy

Found an online video that used a combination of vinegar during one cycle, baking soda overnight in the bottom of the dishwasher following by a cycle of hot water only. It did OK. Not stellar by any means.

Gonna try the CLR next. :)