Cleaning the roof

slmayor

Founding California Northern Chapter Leader
I'm not sure what the actual limit is, but Ray weighs about 230# and has no issues? I'm not a real light-weight either and I'm usually the one to go up as I'm more comfortable with heights. (actually I think it's because he doesn't want to scrub the roof) :) I haven't had any issues either.
Be careful and use a good rubber non-slip shoe. It does get slippery up there, even with just water.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
I can attest to at least a 290# limit. Lin & I have both been on the roof at the same time. I'm the 290, I won't say what Lin is cause I want to live to see tomorrow. Let's just say we're both above average. I scrub, she handles the rinse. I don't use the ladder on the back though. I know it's rated at 300 but why take chances. I go up an extension ladder.

katkens

Founding Illinios Chapter Leader-retired
:D
No problem with us on the roof together...........190 + 6 lbs, I spray and bebe mops

Forrest

Forrest bet your using watered down gravy in your spray bottle , great idea. Since we have 3 critters would truly take less time ,now to figure out the easiest way to get them up there.:D....Kenny

pmmjarrett

Not just tired..... RETIRED!!!
I wouldn't worry about the roof.

It's the ladder on the back of the trailer that is more likely to give you a problem. I have seen a rather large man have one peel off while he was climbing it for some unknown reason. Didn't get hurt but his eyes were big as saucers.:eek:

mike3fan

theres a picture in one of the sundance brochures with a pickup truck sitting on the roof to show how much it will hold,so I would say you're probably ok ;)

tcbrady

The rear ladder is rated for 300 lbs. - I would say the roof could handle a little more but since the the ladder is rated for 300 lbs I would limit the roof capacity to 300 lbs.

thanks, Coley

RVFun4Us

Another question on cleaning the roof of my Bighorn. On my last 5ver, I used the Protect All rubber roof cleaner and rubber roof treatment with UV protection after noticing mold spots. Prior to using those, I just used a mild soap to wash the rig. When I covered the rig in storage with an ADCO cover, it evidently created the mold underneath, even though the ADCO covers are supposedly breathable. I don't want to make the same mistake with our new Bighorn. The manual says to use a mild soap and that other roof cleaners and treatments are not needed. I don't want to have the mold problems again so what do you all suggest. I did purchase a new Aqua Shed ADCO cover since it will be stored on the rainy side of Oregon. Thanks for any suggestions.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Personally, I think covers are over rated. I bought a cover for a brand new Class C we bought in 1995. It lasted 1 winter. It may have been because I didn't put it on right or tie it down good enough. I don't know. I also understand covers have probably gotten better since then. Before we went full time, I just closed up the rig and opened the vents under the max air covers and let it sit. Never had a problem with snow or anything. It's just my nickel. Kind of like slide toppers. You either love em or hate em.

RVFun4Us

Cleaning the Roof

Thanks Ray. What about the actual cleaning of the roof? Mild soap or the Protect All products? Also, as far as putting some type of wax or protective coating on the fiberglass siding, I looked at a bottle of Nutone in the automotive section today and it says it can be used on fiberglass boats and RVs. Is that the only product safe for our RVs or are there other wax-based products safe for fiberglass?

TXBobcat

Fulltime
We went to the Life On Wheels (LOW) and there was a class about cleaning the roof and awning from Protect All. I have not cleaned the roof of my 3400 yet but what I did on my previous 5er was use laundry detergent and then used the Protect All to seal it and protect it.

If your intrested you can contact Protect All at 800-322-4491 or Pat Huber, pathuber@protectall.com . They are a small company and easy to talk to.