no 120v power when on batteries w/o shore power

Jimnkarens

recently I replaced my batteries with four 6v yielding 800Ah. But when I switch off the shore power, I do get power to all of the 12v lights but not to the 120v receptacles and appliances. My resi refer is being powered. But, I thought that the inverter would send power to the receptacles allowing us to use 120 from the battery.
any ideas as to why my 120v receptacles are not hot?

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

Reset the little back button on the side of the circuit breaker row in the front compartment

Never mind I miss read that :/

I just stopped to read the whole thing and see I was way off.. LOL

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

danemayer

Hi Jimnkarens,

The inverter associated with the Residential Refrigerator is dedicated to the refrigerator and supplies just enough wattage to run the refrigerator. There's not enough output to run additional stuff, so it doesn't power any of the other outlets. Adding batteries will keep the refrigerator running longer without shore power, but that's all.

If you want to use your batteries for other outlets, you'll probably have to add a separate inverter and sub-panel. The additional inverter would supply power to the sub-panel and you would move some of your circuit breakers into the sub-panel to manage the other outlets that you want hot. And of course you'd also have to have a connection between main breaker panel and sub-panel, with another transfer switch to switch the sub-panel between shore power and battery power. I think there may be combination devices available that include the sub-panel, inverter, and transfer switch.

A simpler, but less elegant solution, would be to add the 2nd inverter and use it to power a single outlet that takes power only from the inverter. When you want to run a 120V appliance, you'd just plug into that outlet.

Jimnkarens

thank you Dan. I suspected that you knew the answer and the solution. Dont know where this forum would be without you.

- - - Updated - - -

Dan, any suggestions of manufacturers of the combo sub-panel, inverter, transfer switch units?

Jimnkarens

Re: no 120v power when on batteries w/o shore power-SOLVED!

Ok, replaced my 120v AC panel with a split-bus AC panel from Progressive Dynamics. Half is for non-inverter loads, half is connected to the new Xantrex 3000w inverter that I installed. Moved several of my 120v AC circuits over to the inverter side of the new panel. Now everything works on shore power, of course, because the inverter passes through power to the inverter side of the panel. But I am delighted to say that when shore power is disconnected, the inverter supplies 120v AC power to the circuits in the inverter side of the new AC panel.
Not an easy project but works very well and very satisfying that it works and I did it myself.
Next...solar panels.

Jimnkarens

Wow, over 500 pounds of batteries. Good thing your TV is a dually. You running all steel ply G rated tires? Chris

SNOKING,
yes I recently replaced my tires with Michelin LTX M/S2 tires, all around. Dont even notice the extra weight.