w/d option and dishwasher

Rick and Michele

Fulltimer in 2007
hubbie and I have agreed on almost all options for our future full-time RV; except washer-dryer and dishwasher. Comments/opinions on washer dryer stackable versus all-in-one unit? Also, dishwasher (especially how much goes in it; water use; loss of space...)?

fireflipper

EX-Travel Bug
Fireflipper

HI
The one thing that my wife insisted on when we went full time was a washer/dryer. I wanted a unit that was already preped and equipt with a generator, but I don't have to tell you who won. The combo was the only one that fit in the Heartland due to space, but she uses it all the time. She hated the thought of going into a laundermat that may be dirty and expensive. The biggest draw back I have is that it does rock the trailer and she tries not to use it at night, as it is in the bedroom. Also you have to get use to doing small loads, as compared to what you may be use to. On the upside it has saved us alot, and she tries not to wash at night.

BigBlue

BigBlue
We had a washer/dryer combo unit in our Montana. We used it twice in two years so when we traded in for our Landmark we decided not to get one. As Fireflipper said it takes a long time to do small loads and because it's a combo you can't start a second load while you're drying the first. If we ever decide to get one in the future it'll be a stackable one to help on the time factor.

BluegrassMan

I can't remember what the dishwasher option was when we ordered our G.C. Is it in a drawer like the motorhomes? We ordered last Dec. late.

phranc

We had a dishwasher at home we were going to take with us in the RV,.But it got older and deceided to go to college and move away from home..

Rick and Michele

Fulltimer in 2007
The one we saw was a drawer type and was in place of the oven. With the convection oven we thought we might not need the gas oven also. Essentially the options boil down to either extra storage, a gas oven, or the dishwasher. Any thoughts or experience on any of these?

Cheryl

I don't have a dishwasher in the camper, but from the pictures, it seems like it won't hold very many dishes at a time. It seems like it would take more time to load/unload it than it would to just wash the small amount of dishes it would hold. I usually have the dishes washed and am letting them air dry before Nelson gets the grill cleaned and put away. Plus, I like the extra kitchen storage.

BluegrassMan

Dishwasher etc.

Hi Guy's:

I see there are a few of us on here at the same time tonight.:) I guess the dishwasher is OUT for us. We ordered the optional oven even though the micro is convection. My wife likes to do "Southern style" Biscuits & Sausage Gravy, she demanded that the oven was there.

We also ordered all the appliances in stainless steel. All of these tied in with the stainless sink and the faucets and drawer pulls etc. looks Very Nice ! It's just the 2 of us, and our Baby "PUG", so we don't get THAT many dishes dirty.

nemo45

We have an Open Road 357RLDS with much the same arrangement in the front wardrobe for a combination washer/dryer. We decided we weren't going to purchase one because of the small capacity. In place of the w/d, we purchased a small (3 cu. ft.) 120V freezer. The freezer fits in that spot perfectly and only weighs 50 lbs. empty which is about 1/2 of the w/d combo. I have talked with people that have done this and they say that having just a 120V freezer has not been a problem. They simply make sure that after traveling during the day they run the freezer that night. Nothing thaws out during their travel time. I should add that the reason we purchased a freezer is we will be full-timing within two years.

Last edited:

Midastouch

After reading the info/thoughts on the washer/dryer, to have or not to have .... I would like a stack washer/dryer and after looking at the units in person this past weekend, I am now trying to decide on what unit to order. I can see why most like the Grand Canyon as it felt very comfortable and cozy! I also liked the layout of the Monticello and now that it's between one or the other ... I saw only a space in front for the washer/dryer combo you've all referenced. Is the Monticello the only one that I can get a stack washer/dryer in? Exactly how much can you put in those things, example: shirt and pants ... a couple towels ... what? It will only be me for awhile and I really would like an idea about those combo units. I heard the clothes come out really wrinkled and have read that they smell burnt after drying .... operator error, maybe?

jbeletti

Midastouch,

All of the current production floorplans for Landmarks come with what they call their "suites" style bedroom. This new style did away with the front-right side corner position for a combo W/D. It now includes a full-height closet just past the commode room, for the W/D (stackers etc.). The sink was moved to the off-door side between the shower and the bed. This new arrangement seems to be the most popular way of handling the W/D and the sink across several other brands in this price class and higher. Here's a link to the current Landmark floorplans. In it, you'll see where the W/D and sink are now located. Note too that all Landmark models arranged identically in the bedroom suite. Current differences in the Landmark floorplans are from the bedroom back (livingroom/kitchen area).

Happy shopping!

Jim

PUG

Pug
We have the Cyclone 3950 with the combination washer dryer in the garage. The wife uses it daily to keep up where it does small loads. This has worked out fine especially in trl parks that are providing electricity and water. In the garage we have strung some pull out clothes lines to hang clothes on along with using clothes hangers attached to the beds that lower and raise from the ceiling. This works good to do more drying naturally and save time drying in the dryer itself. Quite a sight sometimes with clothes hanging, and three motorcycles.