Propane valve

Question for my own curiosity.
I have (2) 40# propane bottle in the '12 Key Largo. If I fill one of the bottles and the other is almost empty...turn the selector valve to the middle position so both tanks are connected to supply....do the tanks:
(a) Equalize?
(b) draw from the fullest (or emptiest) tank?
(c) draw equally and therefore eventually empty the almost empty tank?
(d) ?

Thank you!
Retired and travelling since April '16.
Loving the RV lifestyle.
'12 RAM 3500
'12 Landmark Key Largo
DW Linda
Kitty Joy

Sent from my SM-T550 using Tapatalk

danemayer

Hi kthompson57,

I think it will pull from the full tank since that's got higher pressure than an almost empty tank. I don't think the tanks will equalize.

If you keep both tanks open, you should anticipate running out of propane at 3AM on a cold night.

carl.swoyer

I always have one tank closed. This allows me to have a full tank. When one goes empty I have time to refill , but still won't be without propane.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

TedS

If you have an automatic switching valve, point the valve at the nearly empty tank. Open both tanks. The system will draw from the nearly empty tank. When that tank is empty, the auto switch valve will switch to the full tank for propane. You can disconnect the empty tank for refill.

dlw930

If you keep both tanks open, you should anticipate running out of propane at 3AM on a cold night.

And specifically on a Sunday or Christmas Day when all the propane retailers are closed. And if your park sells LP, it charges 3 times the going retail rate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lou_and_Bette

Ted's, how are we to know when it changes over?

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

There should be some sort of indicator on the automatic change over valve to show the tank that the switch is pointing to is empty. My valve has a window that turns red when the tank is empty. I then rotate the valve selector to the other tank, turn off the empty tank, remove/refill tank, replace and reconnect to the system,and open the newly refilled tank valve. Repeat this process each time a tank gets empty.

TedS

There should be some sort of indicator on the automatic change over valve to show the tank that the switch is pointing to is empty. My valve has a window that turns red when the tank is empty. I then rotate the valve selector to the other tank, turn off the empty tank, remove/refill tank, replace and reconnect to the system,and open the newly refilled tank valve. Repeat this process each time a tank gets empty.

What Lou_and_Bette said.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired

carl.swoyer

Thanks that is why I always keep one tank valve closed. When it runs empty I still have time to refill propane.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Thanks for all the responses. We have a manual valve and like Carl, I keep one tank closed and when necessary just change over so I never run out.

A neighbor said he kept his in the middle position and that got me to thinking...and being the curious, engineering type...what would happen if I put the selector in the middle and opened both tanks?

I believe (not positive) the valve that attaches to the tank has a check valve that will not allow the tanks to equalize if connected together. I am not sure how the selector valve works, other than being a simple ball valve, to draw from one tank or the other. Since the pressure in both tanks is close to the same whether full or 1/8 full, if the selector is in the middle then both tanks should drain at the same rate. HOWEVER! You would not know when the 1/8 full tank is empty.

I will stick with the manual selector and open one tank at a time. I may have to get up at 3AM on Christmas morning to change over to the other tank...but I will never run out!

Sent from my SM-T550 using Tapatalk

mlpeloquin

We have not had good luck with ours. Do you try to set the tanks on those tiny green feet? Nearly impossible. How do you get the tank raised up enough to read properly? Our tank stands have a solid metal base.

For my Big Horn the rubber spacers provided with the sensors worked because the tanks are mounted one one each side and strapped around the diameter of the tanks. My friends Big Country has then mounted together on one side held in place by the top. He used 2" X 3/16" thick aluminum bar stock purchased at the local hardware store to space the tanks higher so that the sensor clears the bottom shelf. Both work well. You could use Iron bar stock as well painted with Kryon spray paint. This leaves clearance in the center for the sensor.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
For my Big Horn the rubber spacers provided with the sensors worked because the tanks are mounted one one each side and strapped around the diameter of the tanks. My friends Big Country has then mounted together on one side held in place by the top. He used 2" X 3/16" thick aluminum bar stock purchased at the local hardware store to space the tanks higher so that the sensor clears the bottom shelf. Both work well. You could use Iron bar stock as well painted with Kryon spray paint. This leaves clearance in the center for the sensor.

We have tanks on either side of the rig. But there's the trouble of getting them up over into the tray without knocking those green things off. It just never works with a full tank! We have tried wood spacers in each side to raise the tanks and we still have the sensors stop reading. Now we need to replace the batteries, (we've had them about a year) and try again.

I so want them to work but have been very frustrated.