2017 Goshen Rally - Technical Presentations

jbeletti

TECHNICAL PRESENTATIONS

We're lining up vendors, trainers and teachers to present up to 25 Technical sessions on the various products and systems on your coach. Plan to make several of these sessions to learn more about care, use and maintenance of your coach.

What "RV Technical" matters/subjects would like to be presented at this rally? Post a reply to this thread with your thoughts.

Follow this link (PDF) to view the "latest" version of the Technical Presentation schedule. A final version will be included with your rally packet.

szewczyk_john

Sorry Jim, I already posted on the main thread but if an ONAN rep could be there for discussions on their products, trouble shooting, and repairs, it would be nice for those of us with that option. There has been more posts and complaints on the forum regarding the Onans.

jbeletti

Sorry Jim, I already posted on the main thread but if an ONAN rep could be there for discussions on their products, trouble shooting, and repairs, it would be nice for those of us with that option. There has been more posts and complaints on the forum regarding the Onans.

Hi John - I saw your other post and I am working with Heartland Procurement to obtain our Cummins-Onan rep info. Once I have that, I will start working their system to see if we can get a technical rep to put on a Repair and Maintenance seminar.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
I'd like to hear about how the Whisper Quiet system is supposed to operate and what to look for if it's not cooling efficiently. We all know how ACs work, and the challenges of RV ACs. But this new system, its hard to tell if it's working properly since there's no access within the coach. I don't know if that's Dometic that can do that?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jbeletti

I'd like to hear about how the Whisper Quiet system is supposed to operate and what to look for if it's not cooling efficiently. We all know how ACs work, and the challenges of RV ACs. But this new system, its hard to tell if it's working properly since there's no access within the coach. I don't know if that's Dometic that can do that?

Great suggestion Erika!

I'm not at all confident that I can find anyone that is an expert on tihs system from a maintenance and improvement perspective. But I have made inquiries :)

pegmikef

Since Lippert is probably going to be there it would be nice to maybe get a briefing on the level up and slide hydraulics systems as to things like how they work, what each of the components do and their general locations (i.e., control panel, "brains", manifold, control valves, pump); an overview of the general routing of the hydraulic lines and what the lines are used for (i.e., pressure line, return line, etc.); and possibly some tips on diagnostic procedures that owners could perform. I have had to figure most of this out on my own by reading the manuals and discussions with Lippert and Heartland tech support. . . .

brianlajoie

Roofing - what to look for and how to patch for beginners? There are posts about water leaks on the forum. It would be good to know how the address patching various scenarios (like cap seems, rubber roof holes, etc).

klindgren

Retired Virginia Chapter Leaders
Roofing - what to look for and how to patch for beginners? There are posts about water leaks on the forum. It would be good to know how the address patching various scenarios (like cap seems, rubber roof holes, etc).

I really like that idea Brian. Especially the "what to look for and how to patch" idea.

mthompson

General electrical, how the 12 volt and 110 volt systems work and inter-link with each other. Also, how using your "50 amp" rv on a 30 amp service can effect things, and how to not overload the circuits.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
We won't be able to attend the rally (we'll be cruising the Baltic), but would it be possible to have any available print-outs of the presentations scanned and added to the forum?

jimpav

It would also be helpful to get advice as how/where to hardwire a power management device like Progressive Industries makes. It can get a little bit tricky with our inverters and transfer switches.

General electrical, how the 12 volt and 110 volt systems work and inter-link with each other. Also, how using your "50 amp" rv on a 30 amp service can effect things, and how to not overload the circuits.

TajMyhaul

Just saw thread on coroplast removal & replacement so I believe that would be a good topic.

Here in Deming NM last three days & wind really flaps the automatic shade covers over the slide outs on our Landmark so maintenance on them would be of interest.

A clear understanding of placement of all tanks in belly so if repairs are needed you know where to start since leaks generally are not visible where the problem is- have to remove lots of screw in Coroplast to find!

Bob Beck - TajMyHaul

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TECHNICAL PRESENTATIONS

We're lining up vendors, trainers and teachers to present up to 25 Technical sessions on the various products and systems on your coach. Plan to make several of these sessions to learn more about care, use and maintenance of your coach.

What "RV Technical" matters/subjects would like to be presented at this rally? Post a reply to this thread with your thoughts.

Follow this link (PDF) to view the "latest" version of the Technical Presentation schedule. A final version will be included with your rally packet.

Hi Jim

I know your looking for thoughts and ideas for care, use, and maintenance of a coach. But any thoughts on how you arrive at floor plans, what studies and data supports plans and designs. How does interior designs and pattern are picked. What things behind the scenes are studied to make the decision for the floor plans and designs. What things makes the coach designs successful in sales or not. What determines items on the coach as a standard equipment VS and option.

Again, just a few ideas and thoughts. Hope everything is going well.

jbeletti

Hi Jim

I know you're looking for thoughts and ideas for care, use, and maintenance of a coach. But any thoughts on how you arrive at floor plans, what studies and data supports plans and designs. How does interior designs and pattern are picked. What things behind the scenes are studied to make the decision for the floor plans and designs. What things makes the coach designs successful in sales or not. What determines items on the coach as a standard equipment VS and option.

Again, just a few ideas and thoughts. Hope everything is going well.

In 2013 and 2015, we ran a tour of our Design Center where attendees were able to interact with our lead interior designer to gain insights on how interior design/decor is chosen. We're not offering that tour this year but are considering it again for 2019.

In terms of how floor plans and designs are determined, there are no presentations planned. Decisions on these items are made by the General Managers of each brand. They are influenced by what they are hearing from retail buyers and dealers and to a degree, what the competition is up to.

In terms of how decisions are made on what equipment is standard vs optional, there are must-have items/features that nearly all RVers want/need/demand. Things that make it an RV. Then there are items/features that are nice-to-have, that "some" RVers want/need and those items tend to be optional. Then there are a good many items that are nice-to-have but have a very low adoption rate that we decide we will not offer and allow the aftermarket to offer those. Washer/Dryers come to mind. Since Heartland's inception, we've offered washer/dryers as options in many of our brands. This is one of those options that is ordered 5% or less of the time and recently, Heartland decided to discontinue offering them and allow the aftermarket to handle them for those few buyers that want them. Certainly an inconvenience for that 5% that want them, but to the benefit of production efficiencies at Heartland (less inventory, less material handling, faster production etc.)

So that's the only insight I can give. I encourage you to ask a question of two during the Q&A portion of our Executive Address during lunch at the RV/MH on Saturday, June 17.

jbeletti

It would also be helpful to get advice as how/where to hardwire a power management device like Progressive Industries makes. It can get a little bit tricky with our inverters and transfer switches.

Jim - I have asked Terry Cooper, the fellow doing our Electrical seminar to speak to surge protection products / installation.

jbeletti

Just saw thread on coroplast removal & replacement so I believe that would be a good topic.

Here in Deming NM last three days & wind really flaps the automatic shade covers over the slide outs on our Landmark so maintenance on them would be of interest.
Working on getting Dometic to the rally to discuss maintenance of the A&E brand of awnings and toppers.

A clear understanding of placement of all tanks in belly so if repairs are needed you know where to start since leaks generally are not visible where the problem is- have to remove lots of screw in Coroplast to find!

Bob Beck - TajMyHaul
Tanks are all over the place and vary by brand and by layout. Not going to be able to get anyone to cover this. Sorry. Best to work with customer service directly with regard to your specific rig to better understand where the tanks are.

jbeletti

Mark, our presenter on this, Terry Cooper, should be covering this. Please attend his session and be sure to ask any questions there you feel were not addressed in his presentation.