Hot water for first few seconds of running the cold water in 3210 - ideas?

davelinde

We have a new 3210 and only camped it a few nights bringing it home from Ohio. No time to really figure it out yet... but one annoying thing. The kitchen sink cold water will run a little hot first. During the PDI the only switch they showed me for bypass was outside but a on a quick peek under the sink it looks like there are bypass valves on the HWH too?

Any ideas why I'm getting a little hot in the cold each time I run it?

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
The only thing I can think might cause that would be the bypass on the water heater being partially open. This could allow hot water to blend in with the cold? If you can look at the HWH you'll see 2 white hoses coming off the back. There is a bypass hose in between these that has a valve that should be off for normal use. the other 2 should be wide open. I hope this helps.

pmmjarrett

Not just tired..... RETIRED!!!
If it's not your valves..... If you are using the water hookup at a campsite, the water in the hose gets hot when baking in the sun too. Takes a bit to flush it through the hose to get cool water.

Pulltab

Yep, those are the only 2 explanations I can think of. If it only happens one time in a short period I would say its the water in the line heating from the sun.

flyfishing48

I don't have a Cyclone, so I don't know the layout. Just thinking out loud with my keyboard. It is funny it is only the kitchen, not the other areas. If there is an outside shower and it is near the kitchen plumbing, the valves for the hot and cold might not be turned off, but the push button on the shower head is off. This would allow hot and cold water to cross, but I would expect it to last longer than just a few seconds.
I am thinking you may not have used the other faucets, showered in the campground showers, and it's the sun heating the water hose, like the previous posts mentioned.

davelinde

The only thing I can think might cause that would be the bypass on the water heater being partially open.

That's what I thought too - I just haven't wedged my head under there to examine the valves. What had me confused is that I asked the PDI kid... "are there valves at the HWH for bypass" and he said "no, just this valve outside.

Initially I thought it was sun heated water in the hoses too, but then it was just a bit too consistent and immediate at the sink.

THANKS! If there's a regular three valve bypass setup I'll bet that's the solution. Will check this weekend.