Tow Vehicle

MallardHead

Who else tows their Travel Trailer with a Ford Expedition...If so, year make and model of Ford and trailer brand, model....

2004 Eddie Bauer....5.4L 2WD....
2017 Mallard M32

Kevin & Kandy Jones
HOC Member #3501
2017 Mallard M32

Oregon_Camper

Do you have the factory Heavy Duty Tow Package? If so, you're Expedition can tow 8,950lbs....if not that drops to 6,000lbs.

Your trailer, with NOTHING in it (no LP gas in tanks...no battery...probably no awnings) has a listed weight of 6,700lbs

Toss back in the items from above as at 400lbs.....add food & clothes & camping stuff at say another 500lbs (yes...it adds up FAST...an average case of beer is 40lbs)

Now...do you ever carry water in tank? Your tank is 36 gallons a ~8lbs a gallon....tack on another 288lbs.

6,700+400+500 = 7,600
Add in water +288 = 7,888

So, if you don't have the factory Heavy Duty Tow Package, you're already way over for that rig.

IMHO.....Even with the two package, you're very close to what that rig can tow safely

Capture.jpg

MallardHead

Do you have the factory Heavy Duty Tow Package? If so, you're Expedition can tow 8,950lbs....if not that drops to 6,000lbs.

Your trailer, with NOTHING in it (no LP gas in tanks...no battery...probably no awnings) has a listed weight of 6,700lbs

Toss back in the items from above as at 400lbs.....add food & clothes & camping stuff at say another 500lbs (yes...it adds up FAST...an average case of beer is 40lbs)

Now...do you ever carry water in tank? Your tank is 36 gallons a ~8lbs a gallon....tack on another 288lbs.

6,700+400+500 = 7,600
Add in water +288 = 7,888

So, if you don't have the factory Heavy Duty Tow Package, you're already way over for that rig.

IMHO.....Even with the two package, you're very close to what that rig can tow safely

View attachment 49086
Yes....has the heavy duty tow package....never carry water (never boondock) never carry gray or black... always dump...

Kevin & Kandy Jones
HOC Member #3501
2017 Mallard M32

MallardHead

These are the specs per my VIN and owners manual.....
fa8ef2d8894d37b3b5e7366ed9da63ed.jpg

Kevin & Kandy Jones
HOC Member #3501
2017 Mallard M32

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
We usually carry about 1/3 of a tank of fresh water.

For bathroom stops and lunch prep while on the road . . .

And for those times, like at the HOC National Rally in Vegas this past October when the park unannounced had to shut the water off for a couple of hours . . . and let me just say that having that water in the tank allowed us to take our morning showers and brew that pot of Joe!

MallardHead

We usually carry about 1/3 of a tank of fresh water.

For bathroom stops and lunch prep while on the road . . .

And for those times, like at the HOC National Rally in Vegas this past October when the park unannounced had to shut the water off for a couple of hours . . . and let me just say that having that water in the tank allowed us to take our morning showers and brew that pot of Joe!
We are definitely upgrading TV in the near future to a Ram 2500 , F250 or 2500 chevy/gmc... trying to get wife's ride paid off first since the price of a larger TV is outrageous even for the used ones ... my saving grace is right now we only travel to places no further than 3-4 hours away but usually 1-2 hours... we hope to venture farther regions soon tho

Kevin & Kandy Jones
HOC Member #3501
2017 Mallard M32

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
We are definitely upgrading TV in the near future to a Ram 2500 , F250 or 2500 chevy/gmc... trying to get wife's ride paid off first since the price of a larger TV is outrageous even for the used ones ... my saving grace is right now we only travel to places no further than 3-4 hours away but usually 1-2 hours... we hope to venture farther regions soon tho

My Chevy 2500HD pulled our previous Heartland Trail Runner with out any problem . . . and stopping . . . I couldn't even tell it was back there.

That Trail Runner was about the same specs as yours (maybe a little heavier) . . . my old Dodge Ram 1500 pulled it no problem (although the mountains were a little rough) . . . but it had a hard time stopping with the trailer in tow.

All it took for me was that one white-knuckle-almost-didn't-stop-in-time event . . . and that was the last time the Dodge ever pulled the Trail Runner.

EstesPark-IMG_2845.jpg SunCityRV-IMG_20150122_173556536.jpg
First shot taken in Estes Park, CO 20 minutes before the white-knuckle stop, second shot leaving Sun City RV Repair Shop in Mesa, AZ.

MallardHead

My Chevy 2500HD pulled our previous Heartland Trail Runner with out any problem . . . and stopping . . . I couldn't even tell it was back there.

That Trail Runner was about the same specs as yours (maybe a little heavier) . . . my old Dodge Ram 1500 pulled it no problem (although the mountains were a little rough) . . . but it had a hard time stopping with the trailer in tow.

All it took for me was that one white-knuckle-almost-didn't-stop-in-time event . . . and that was the last time the Dodge ever pulled the Trail Runner.

View attachment 49099 View attachment 49100
First shot taken in Estes Park, CO 20 minutes before the white-knuckle stop, second shot leaving Sun City RV Repair Shop in Mesa, AZ.
I'm a bit partial to the dodge body style and a bit partial to the chevy interiors...... now if toyota would come up with a 3/4 ton tundra ...oh man I would trade today

Kevin & Kandy Jones
HOC Member #3501
2017 Mallard M32