It Went Boom!!! Today

JIMnMICK

Fulltimming Workampers
:eek:Well it happend to me today while traveling on I-90 east at sturges SD the left front trailer tire went boom. We were lucky there was no damage to trailer the tire had good tread and the right air presure. needlless to say i put the spare on and then went right down the road to Rapid city . There we looked up a Goodyear store and put 4 new fillgoods on the bighorn. I decided to put the goodyear marthons on it they know make it in a "E" rated 10 ply. Time will tell how good they are but i fill better for now. The alum rims were only rated at 80psi so they recamended not to go with a "G" rated tire. Goodyear has just started making the marathon in a 10 ply. The guys at the store were great they got me back on the road in less than 2hrs. We are on our way to Townsend Tnn. to work at the KOA there..

kakampers

Past Heartland Ambassador
Glad you had no damage...but if I was running E load tires, they'd be Michelin XPS ribs. Expensive...but worth every penny!!

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Jim, I noticed you said your aluminum wheels were rated for 80psi. What year is your Bighorn? Your #571 leads me to think it's an 06. We were lucky with our wheels as they were 110psi rated so we put on the G614's We were also lucky to find a bubble before it went boom. I think the Marathons should do you well. At least you have Goodyear behind you instead of an "import". Travel Safe!

ccd001

bad tires

Are all the tires Heartland puts on their trailers junk? I have a 2008 BH 3055 with some off brand tires called Unicorn. I haven't had any tire issues so far but you'all are making me a little leery. A few years ago I had a Forest River 5er with Carisle tires and had 2 blowouts. I want top quality
tires on my BH so I guess I will shell out some big bucks on the Goodyears
for the piece of mind. I wish Heartland would put a better tire on their units. I know most people would be willing to pay little extra for a better grade of tire. I know it's an industry wide issue. A buddy of mine bought
new Sandpiper 5er with generic tires. :eek: See ya'll . CD

busted2341

I can't tell ya'll how the Marathons make me feel. Replaced all four Kenda tires and now drive comfortably down the raod without fear or just staring in the mirror waiting to see the pieces fly!!

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Are all the tires Heartland puts on their trailers junk? I have a 2008 BH 3055 with some off brand tires called Unicorn. I haven't had any tire issues so far but you'all are making me a little leery. A few years ago I had a Forest River 5er with Carisle tires and had 2 blowouts. I want top quality
tires on my BH so I guess I will shell out some big bucks on the Goodyears
for the piece of mind. I wish Heartland would put a better tire on their units. I know most people would be willing to pay little extra for a better grade of tire. I know it's an industry wide issue. A buddy of mine bought
new Sandpiper 5er with generic tires. :eek: See ya'll . CD
CD, I think all brands use cheap tires on most of their trailers. Heartland is no different and I believe they have started putting Goodyears on the Landmarks. I don't think it's because they don't want to use better tires. I think it's more of an availability problem as well as a cost issue. I got 2 years and 12K miles out of my Karriers before I got a bubble. I've been down some pretty miserable roads and can't imagine the abuse the tires receive carrying max weight all the time. Shop around for the G614's you should be able to find them for $225 ea.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
I would recommend a tire pressure monitoring system. While at the Escapade (3 wks ago) we purchased the Doran Tire Pressure monitoring system. (Doran used to make the Pressure Pro system and now make their own). While traveling through New Mexico we ran over debis that fell from an 18 wheeler which cause a puncture in one of our tires. (another story). The low pressure alarm sounded on the monitor and we got the tire changed before any damage to the rig occured. Without the Doran who knows what might have happened.

snuffy

A friend of mine just had tire come apart on his Forest River product. He said they were Carlisles made in America. The inside portion still had 62 pounds of air in it. He put on a set of Marathons for the remainder of the trip (9000 miles) and had no more trouble or cupping as before.

elwaller39

Evans & Lana
Hot sun on any tire is a problem that is parked for months at a time. Paved roads in hot hot sun and couches traveling well over 60 miles per hour will add to blowouts because the tires become very hot! Not a good mix at all. You can travel the same paved road in cooler weather and travel 65 plus and do just fine because the tire will be much cooler. This is true of any tire you have on your coach.

vtwin

Tires made in China distributed by TireCo.

I lost one tire while coming down off Raton pass at night. Fact is the tire never lost air, just the tread. The tire was called Mission and made in China. A call to TireCo the supplier to Heartlan promised to have a new tire waiting at my home. Two days later just outside Huntsville, Texas just fifty miles from my home another tire gave up. Believing that there would be a new tire waiting fotr me at home I left tre trailer at a truckstop and drove home

Is anyone ready to guess if the tire was there? It wasn't! The people at TireCo said there had been a problem in their shipping department but now they were sending me a brand new full set of tires immediately. Three weeks later and the only tires I have are the new Good Years I bought out of my pocket. Without hesitation I will call the people at TireCo liers! Absolute Liers!

I am now talking direct with Heartland in hopes of being reinbursed for my loss. Oh yes: When the tire lost the tread it tore off the curbside fender skirt. More important and very dangerous it cut the gas supply line to the stove. Thank God there were no sparks.

jimtoo

vtwin,

Keep your old tires, they will want them back. Get on line or call, I suggest on line, get claim number, document everything. Get 3 estimates for repairs to trailer and file a claim. It takes a while, but without any hassles I was paid. If you do it their way and be nice, I think you will get paid.

Jim M

China bombs...

For some reason that reminded me of when the Michelin rubber plantation paid off the North Vietnamese Army, and the Viet Cong not to give them any problems. To this day I wouldn't buy Michelin's if they was a buck a piece.

bsummit

Arkansas Chapter Leader-Retired
Right on Brother........

For some reason that reminded me of when the Michelin rubber plantation paid off the North Vietnamese Army, and the Viet Cong not to give them any problems. To this day I wouldn't buy Michelin's if they was a buck a piece.