Need info on Moving Heartland Oakmont

Rvchick

We just bought a 2016 Heartland Oakmont from a private owner. They had it delivered to a Rv park and have never moved it. We found several black straps stored in a chair seat. How do you strap the 2 recliners? Do they face forward or back to back when traveling down the road. It also has a 50" LCD Tv in living room and 32" in bedroom. Do these get strapped?? And how do you do this?? Our model is the
345RS. Any info will be so appropriated.........we need to move it tomorrow?
Thanks......

danemayer

Hi Rvchick,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum. Heartland has used various types of recliners and different TV mounts on different models over the years. Hopefully another Oakmont owner will see your post and give you some direction on which TVs need to be secured, and how, as well as feedback on the recliners.

pegmikef

We just bought a 2016 Heartland Oakmont from a private owner. They had it delivered to a Rv park and have never moved it. We found several black straps stored in a chair seat. How do you strap the 2 recliners? Do they face forward or back to back when traveling down the road. It also has a 50" LCD Tv in living room and 32" in bedroom. Do these get strapped?? And how do you do this?? Our model is the
345RS. Any info will be so appropriated.........we need to move it tomorrow?
Thanks......

On the recliners, we never strap them. We just put them back to back with a blanket in between them and use a cargo strap around the backs to strap them together. Has worked great for almost four years.

I can't help you on the TVs. Mine locked in on its hanger, but they are all different.

olcoon

X-2 on never strapping the recliners. The only thing we strap down is the chairs for the table. As far as the TV's are concerned there should be some hooks on the wall probably at the top & bottom of the TV's.

Squirlee

We strap our recliners down just as they sit in the trailer (facing the tv). If your tv has an articulated mount you need to strap the tv back to the wall so the mount doesn't start floating around (it could tear the mount out of the wall). There will be a hook or metal loop centered behind the tv. The strap goes all the way around the tv and both ends are secured to the hook / loop. It is a bit of a pain putting the tv strap on.

See my PM about the sewer pipe. The elbow that comes out of the left front can get eroded / broken from gravel. If on gravel, just put a piece of carpet or similar in front of it.

Enjoy. We have put a ton of miles on ours already and thoroughly enjoy it.

Jdwaters

I have the same camper. The 50" tv on mine has a strap that goes around it and hooks back onto the mount. My 32" tv in the bedroom does not have a strap on it at all. The recliners stay in their normal position and should have a small eyelet for the strap on the outside of each chair on the floor. Mine came with 1 strap for both chairs and as others have said each dining room chair has its own strap as well very close to where they normally sit at the table on the floor. Hope this helps. Ours has been a great unit so far. Congrats on the new purchase.

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
We never strap down our recliners, either . . . too much of a PITA and doesn't really do any good anywayz.

As for the TV's, we bought locking swivel wall mounts at Camping World that don't use straps.

wdk450

What you DON't want to happen is the recliner release lever catching on slide framing. For me, it is next to impossible to get back to the rear slides if this happened during slide movement. Although I have teflon sliders glued to the feet of my recliners for easier movement, they are still pretty hard to move, so maybe they would be alright during travel unstrapped, but I will defer to the Heartland engineers on this one and use the straps.

BTW, my big, heavy, unstrapped couch/hideabed regularly DOES move a couple of inches forward during travels.

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
I will defer to the Heartland engineers on this one and use the straps.

The design engineers may have designed the straps to hold the recliners in place, although I'm pretty sure they never actually tried using the straps.

Lots of things look good on paper, but in real life usage their theory just doesn't work out the way their drawings said it would . . .

I cut a 2 x 4 the length of the area where the recliners reside and place it behind the recliner's back feet and it works much better and deploys much easier.