Air assist pinbox

Has anyone installed an air assist pinbox, if so what type; yourself or do you recommend the dealer?

Took deliver on a BH 3670RL in Feb 08 just after the Huston RV show. We have made 4 trips with the BH and is seems rougher than our first RV (05 wildcat 28 ft.) We pull with a 2006 D3500 HO turbo diesel with duals and a manual 6 speed. I would like to know has anyone else changed pin box or considering the change; Landmark I noticed comes factory installed.:confused:

jbeletti

Hi ouritnhouse,

The Trailair pinbox is an option and can be added at the factory or purchased by you from a dealer later.

The Trailair, Mor-Ryde or other alternate pin boxes can be easily installed by you. But I strongly suggest you have at least one other strong helper. While it is possible to crack the bolts loose with a wrench and socket, a pneumatic or electric impact wrench is better. A large drift pin is also suggested for safety to put in one hole after you remove the first bolt of the old pin box and after you lift up and align the new pin box. Takes about 30 to 60 minutes to do (from what I have seen).

Jim

jimtoo

I run the Trailair Pinbox and would not be without it. Makes a world of difference when towing, much smother ride.

They are very easy to install, but you do need a helper.

JimM

Jburks

ourtinhouse, my brother nephew and I installed a Mor-Ryde pin box in about 40 minutes (which included a small amount of shooting the breeze) would have been easier with air tools but we just used a torque wrench and sockets, set the torque wrench on 120 as instructed by the Mor-Ryde rep.

Hey thanks for the information on air assist pin box; this forum has a ton of information in it. sure glad we found the address in the mfg data package for our BH. Thanks again

N9MB

ourtinhouse

Are you referring to back and forth movement or up and down when you say it is rougher than your old rig? The Mor/Ryde is great for back and forth movement but doesn't help with up and down where the Trailair does by somewhat decoupling the truck from the fifth wheel via the air bag. The larger the fifth wheel the higher the pin weight and the more the truck feels the bumps when the trailer tires hit them and drive the pin down into the hitch causing the truck to pitch.

Quote from the Trailair web site "Lose the jiggles, bumps, chucks and jars with the 5th wheel Air Ride Pin Box. By adding an air bag at the hitch connection, you, your towing vehicle and the coach enjoy smooth, stable towing performance."

I don't own an after market pin box but have an air hitch which does essentially the same thing as the Trailair by using air bags to support the hitch head. Sure helps taking the bumps out of a rough road.

Good luck