OUR 2998 is home!!!!

bgscott

We picked up our camper yesterday. It is now sitting in the driveway at home awaiting its maiden voyage this weekend. I found a leak under either the shower or the bedroom sink (a little water leaking in the garage) and the drawer under the couch is stiff, otherwise everything looks and works great!! We plan to pull it to Cloudland Georgia this weekend and try it out. This is our first fifth wheel, the wife and kids are extremely excited.

anyone have any suggestions on fifth wheel camping for the first time? how do you guys with a half bath handle the two black tank hookups?

jbeletti

bgscott,

Just some ideas...

For the bathroom sink, snug up the connectors on the ends of the hot and cold lines where they connect to the fixture. Snug them with your hand.

For the shower, maybe run a bead of caulk around the bottom where the walls meet the base.

If the couch is a Flair air mattress bed, there is a strong latch at the top/center that firmly holds that drawer in place. I have found it best to grasp the bottom of the drawer at the center and give it a tug. Opening from one end does not work for me.

Happy camping.

Jim

frumbawa

BGSCOTT,

Congratulations on your new rig. I hope you enjoy it as much as we enjoy ours. As for the two blacks, I keep the sewer hose hooked up to the connection just below the docking station which is where the grey tanks drain from. If/when I need to dump the rear black, I simply move the sewer hose to the back. Just don't forget to close your grey valves if they're open. There is no need to keep a hose hooked up to the rear tank all the time.

Have fun.

Frank

mike3fan

anyone have any suggestions on fifth wheel camping for the first time?

First try to enjoy it,it really isn't any different than any other type of camping except now you will be the envy of all the others:).

A few things I know it sounds stupid but I have done it remember to put down your tailgate on the pickup before you unhook:eek: it really makes an impression on the tailgate if you don't:D.

Other things are little like open all slides before unhooking and setting everything up in case you need to move the trailer to keep slides from interfering with trees,electrical boxes etc.,also I like to set up the front a little low then put down the rear jack stabilizers then raise up the front to level that way it puts pressure on those rear jacks,in moderation of course.

Sundance_kid

Congrats on the new rig, not camper as that sounds like something you put in the back of your pickup. We had a leak that drove us nuts and turned out to be the shower pan. Like Jim said lay a bead of silicone and that should take care of it. Relax and have fun..........Happy trails.

pmmjarrett

Not just tired..... RETIRED!!!
First try to enjoy it,it really isn't any different than any other type of camping except now you will be the envy of all the others:).

A few things I know it sounds stupid but I have done it remember to put down your tailgate on the pickup before you unhook:eek: it really makes an impression on the tailgate if you don't:D.

Other things are little like open all slides before unhooking and setting everything up in case you need to move the trailer to keep slides from interfering with trees,electrical boxes etc.,also I like to set up the front a little low then put down the rear jack stabilizers then raise up the front to level that way it puts pressure on those rear jacks,in moderation of course.

Yep, I'm envious:p

Also when unhooking, when you put down the landing gear, take the weight off of the fifth wheel so you just barely see light between the pin plate and fifth wheel before you pop the latch and pull out. If you don't it can make quite the impression on the sides of your bed when the back of the truck jumps up about 6" - 8" as soon as the pin clears the plate while the suspension is still loaded.

It's pretty easy to spot rigs where the owners learned that the hard way.

Freckles

Founding New York Chapter Leader-Retired
2 way radios helps greatly when backing up as long as you know her left or yours !! Happing camping

bgscott

We had our maiden voyage this weekend. WOW!!! does this beat the old pop up and hybrid campers we used for years!!!!! We stayed at cloudland georgia, just a few miles from home. its a nice campsite with some awsome views.

the camper performed well, my leak turned out to be the outside shower dribbling water, the water found its way into the garage area. no other problems to report, I think we can learn to like this!

Congrats! We just got our 2998RB last week and LOVE it!!!! My only advice is, make sure everyone knows that the bunkhouse door has to be closed before you bring the slide in. See my It's here! It's Lovely! It's....broken! post! I learned the hard way! Have fun!

Christin

bgscott

I did the same thing the first time I let my bunk slide in!!! Luckily I heard the crunching noise and stopped before there was any damage.