Fresh tank drain

lukeysh

My Landmark fresh water tank drain line is a 6" piece of pex with a small valve on end. What is your solution to keep this from freezing. Seems like a poor design for a unit that is claimed to be great in cold weather.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
My Landmark fresh water tank drain line is a 6" piece of pex with a small valve on end. What is your solution to keep this from freezing. Seems like a poor design for a unit that is claimed to be great in cold weather.

I wrapped it with pipe insulation tape. Been in 17 degrees without any issues

danemayer

There's no design that provides a valve that you can access, that won't have water just above the valve.

Insulation will help. You can also tuck it up above the coroplast temporarily and tape over the opening. Or you can put heat tape on it.

One thing to be aware of is that "Comfort Tested to 0 Degrees" is a statement about keeping the interior living space warm. It doesn't mean the water will run. If you're camping in cold weather, you might take a look at our owner-written Water Systems Winter Usage Guide. In that same folder, there's a Residential Refrigerator Guide. On most floor plans, the water feed line to the ice maker is exposed to outside air and will be damaged when temps get below freezing. You need to evacuate the water from the line. Same with gas absorption refrigerators that have an ice maker, if located in a slide out.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
In our ElkRidge, we decided to move the valve up inside the underbelly, and attached a flexible hose after the valve. We made a small flap in the underbelly to tuck the hose up inside. When we did need to drain the fresh tank, we opened up the flap (taped closed with gorilla tape) and pulled the flexible hose out. Turned the valve inside the belly and drained.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rxbristol

I've left mine as is. Just survived 7 degrees, no damage and all water flowing in the morning! :)

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
At my house I have those foam cups over my outside hose spickets to keep them from freezing.

I wonder if those (or something like them) would work on the low point drains to keep them from freezing?

TedS

Wouldn't that be clever of Heartland to install a freeze proof faucet for a fresh water tank drain valve. Like the freeze proof faucets installed in homes. Mount it on a side wall and extend into the underbelly.

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
Wouldn't that be clever of Heartland to install a freeze proof faucet for a fresh water tank drain valve. Like the freeze proof faucets installed in homes. Mount it on a side wall and extend into the underbelly.

Yeah . . . but that would add a couple of bucks to the manufacturing cost . . . :angel: