Heartland rear wall?

dkelly243

Hello everyone, We purchased a 2017 BH Traveler Edition a few weeks back. While getting tires upgraded to 14 ply, I was on the phone and leaned against the back of the camper. I noticed the rear wall went in about 1 to 1.5 inches before it reach anything solid. After looking it over, it appears the rear wall is only being held on by the window and the caulking around the edge of wall. Immediately after finishing up at the tire shop I took the FW back to the dealer for inspection. Body manager looked at the rear wall and loaded me up in the golf cart. We went to other Heartland models without a rear cap and noticed they all were the same way. Not one FW without the full rear cap had the rear wall glued or laminated to the inner wall. They all had the same amount of play in the outer wall. I was a little relieved that their was not a delamination issue. That was until I looked at other brands (about 30 grand cheaper than what we paid for our FW). They all had nice solid feeling rear outer walls. Does anybody know a reason that Heartland don't merge the outer rear walls together? I called the factory and talked to customer service rep and asked for a explanation from engineering. Anybody else notice this on their FW? Am I concerning myself over nothing? I know my mistake for not catching this while looking at different FW's.

Mattman

I would venture to say weight savings and time for assembly. The rear is probably not any major load bearing wall of the rig. As well as it may need an expansion point. I am sure an engineer can explain some more. I noticed a few similar things on my North Trail. The back wall appears to be just a filler floating out there. It didn't seem like the bottom was attached to the frame.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Hmmm. I wonder about the Big Country?

I expressed concern directly to Heartland Customer Service about the "movement" in our back wall, which doesn't have a window. I sent pics and a video of the flex and after a few days, (they had to ask engineering), was told it was "by design, and not a defect."

I'm not thrilled with it, but understand it is what it is. I will be keeping record of it in pictures, just in case something fails "down the road".

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Oh btw, I've seen the same in other Heartlands as well on dealer lots and at shows, so I know it's not just mine.

Bones

So I really have to wonder why is that by design? What are they looking to accomplish with that style or is it simply a cheaper and faster way of producing the camper

dkelly243

I really don't understand it either. It looks like the rear wall is delaminating. If its for design, whats the reasoning for it? If it is to save 30$ on glue for the back wall, I will seriously consider before I purchase again. If I would of seen this before taking delivery I would of backed out of my purchase. (NOTE TO SELF) push on back wall of new $50,000+ FW to make sure its solid. I am more mad at myself than I am Heartland.

Apropdoc

Utah Chapter Leaders-retired
I have a NT TT. While I was installing a camera, chasing wires, and doing other cleanup activities, I noticed that the outside composite wall was only attached at the edges. The wall does not appear to be attached to the wood framework of the wall anywhere else. There is about 1/4 - 1/2 inch spacing, depending on where I was looking. The attachment is for a NT 30RKBB rear wall just for reference (you will need to open it to see it for some reason).

Attachments

• TSS-40120D-S2.pdf
    55.1 KB · Views: 49

jbeletti

Dear moderator, why was this thread moved to a sub-category of a sub-category?

Note too that when we move thread for better organization and searching, we automatically include a 1-week auto-redirect. This is quite helpful for the OP as they usually know where they posted it but upon return the first week, do not need to search for where it was moved to.

dkelly243

Note too that when we move thread for better organization and searching, we automatically include a 1-week auto-redirect. This is quite helpful for the OP as they usually know where they posted it but upon return the first week, do not need to search for where it was moved to.

Thank you