Just ordered new 2009 Cyclone 3210

RIOF16

Well, the deposit is down.:eek: No turning back now. I just put two grand on my credit card for a deposit on a 2009 3210 ordered from John Sobczak from Lakeshore RV in Michigan. Will drive up from Ohio in 3-4 weeks to pick it up.

Here's my anticipated setup:

2008 GMC 2500HD Duramax, Ext cab, short bed, 4wd, SRW.
Planning to install air bags ordered from Suspension Connection: http://www.suspensionconnection.com/cgi-bin/suscon/2250C.html with cab-controlled compressor ordered with it. Also plan to order Teconsha T3 brake controller. Found one on ebay for $115 total with shipping - priority mail: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Teko...hash=item190236300970&_trksid=p3286.m14.l1308

2009 3210 with every available option except camera and full throttle. You'll like this one: I talked them into cherry hardwood cabinets and solid-surface countertops (technically only available on larger models). Actually, I was leaning toward a 3795 for the bigger garage, but after reading all the "heavier than I thought" posts here, I went with the 3210 considering my current tow rig. It will probably be "heavier than I thought" still with all those options. If I could attach a file, you could see my actual build sheet. (Moderator help, I'm new?) It would be very informative for someone else deciding how to order one.

B&W turnover ball with companion 5th. Planning to order from Adventure RV, delivered for $967, unless somebody can suggest better price/supplier. http://www.adventurerv.net/turnover-ball-gooseneck-hitch-chevroletgmc-0708-short-bed-p-5242.html My brother and I will install it. I'll just have to turn my head and not watch as he drills the 4" hole in the bed of my new truck.:eek: By the way, any smooth ways/tools anyone has found to make this hole happen? Will also install Rhino-type spray in bed liner...should I cut the 4" hole before or after installation of spray-in liner?

How about Mor-Ryde or Airborne air ride pin box? Other brand? Recommendations?

Need to install a light/brake plug in the bed too. Suggestions?

How about a total rig security system to protect my guns when I'm gone?

Next addition planned is a 2008 Huskqvarna TE610 dual-sport motorbike for commuting or country exploring.

Also want a 10 foot boat to throw in the garage for light fishing or taking ol' Speedy a' duck huntin'. Speed is my black lab.

So, any ideas or suggestions on all this will be greatly welcomed. I've made all these decisions from forums and internet research mostly, so I am still very trainable from you veterans. Oh by the way, I've never owned an RV of any kind before...Spent most of the last decade in other countries fighting terrorists and dropping 36k lbs of bombs on Iraq with my F-16. Now I'm just a bus driver (Southwest airlines 737 - type "bus". That's what I call it) ;)

Oh by the way, Speed and I will be full timing, at least for awhile, in between airline work trips, hunting up new adventures, the Good Lord Willing. :)

Kid before Christmas,
RIO

jimtoo

Hi RIO,
Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum and Heartland Family. I'm sure you will like your new unit when it arrives.

I, personally, like the Trailair Pinbox, but have never had any experience with the others.

I would think some of the others will jump in and give their opinions on the other items also.

Thanks for your past service and keep up the good work.

JimM

Hello RIOF16, 1st Thanks for swerving so well. 2nd When we bought our 06 D3500 dealer said if we distrubed the eletrical system it would void the warrentty. Verify before cuttin into the harness. R. Seale I'm new to this forum to; lotta help here from what I have read.

Jett

RIO,

I think you will love your 3210. I also gave a lot of though to buying one of the larger Heartland toyhaulers, but since we do most of our camping in state parks and COE partks, I didn't want the added hassles of maneuvering around 40 feet of camper in tight spaces. I also had a perfectly good 2500 Dodge and didn't want to upgrade to a 3500. Bottom line is we are thrilled that we went with the 3210.

I suppose an air ride pin does makes a difference, but my rig tows just fine with only a set of suspension airbags.

I've tried lot of different brake controllers. I'm currently using a Tekonsha Prodigy. Maybe something better will come along one of these days, but I'm absolutely sold on the Prodigy for now. I just set it and forget about it.

Jett

jbeletti

RIO,

Congratulations on your order and welcome to the forum and the family. Being your first RV, you will have a lot to learn. Being a pilot, you are used to reading, training, check lists and safety. You'll pick it up fast.

Check out this link to HOOT (Heartland Owners Online Tools) for a how-to article on attaching pictures to a post. Same process for attaching a PDF. If you plan to attach your build sheet, do so as an Excel (xls) or Acrobat (pdf). Just be sure to leave the pricing off per forum policy.

Guns and pilots - I am seeing a pattern here :) Actually, one of my best friends and his wife are both pilots and well - enough said ;) At least one guy on the forum installed a mostly wireless home type security system on his rig. I wireless switch on each baggage door, on the front door and PIR sensors inside. His main control panel has an embedded cellular to communicate to his monitoring company. I believe he has an external siren and strobe as well.

Jim

truknutt

Committed Member
RIO,

Congrats on the 3210. We also have one and love it so far.

Here is the in-bed harness I used on our Ford. No need to cut or splice; just plug and play! Okay, one BIG hole for the female 7-way connector is needed but, after you drill for the hitch the initial fear willl be long gone!

We sprayed Line-X after the hitch holes were drilled on the advise of the sprayer.

From an F-16 to a 737...kinda like going from a Lambo to a Mack Truck, eh!

Welcome to the Fambly!

RIOF16

Thanks for the inputs all. Like to hear all you have to say.

Actually... when I explain the transition from F-16 to 737, it's more like "a formula-one car driver now driving the city bus". :)

RIOF16

My build sheet is attached in .pdf

This should give insight to those about to order. This takes the mystery out of what's available on a 3210 Cyclone.

I also just ordered a Tekonsha P3 brake controller and a B&W turnover with 5th companion. Still looking for advice on the best way to make a nice 4" hole in the bed. I'm going to make a call to B&W also to ask about installation.

Where do I get a good wiring plug to install in the bed? My GMC has the factory trailering wiring provision option, which I have not had time yet to crawl under the truck and investigate, but the option code says it is "routed to the front of the pickup box".

Also how about inputs on Trailair vs. Mor/Ryde vs. 5th Airborne?
Who manufactures the factory pin-box for Heartland?

RIO

p.s. you might have to right-click and download the .pdf then open it with pdf viewer and zoom to be able to read it.

Attachments

• DUNN 003.jpg
    DUNN 003.jpg
    238.6 KB · Views: 55
Last edited:

jbeletti

RIO,

The MSRP sheet attachment is OK.

I'd guess a 4" hole saw for the hole in the bed. You can probably download an installation guide on that hitch for some advance direction/planning.

Do you have a hitch install shop (U-Haul etc.) near you. They will likely have the 7-wire bed receptacle. You can also order from many places online (Camping World, Tweetys etc.).

Heartland's standard pinbox is usually made by Fabex.

All those alternate pinboxes are great choices. Each has their own following. Hoping you get feedback from Cyclone owners as to what they have found best for toyhaulers.

Jim

pmmjarrett

Not just tired..... RETIRED!!!
4" holesaw will give you the cleanest cut...... just measure twice and cut once. Spray in bedliner after you are done drilling and cutting holes. Me I used a Dremmel with a cutting wheel to cut the hole for my in bed plug. Fast and makes a nice clean cut.

In bed plug put near the rear just behind the wheel well. Easier hook up and leaves the front of the bed open for a toolchest, aux tank or both later. Bought the last 2 from Tweety's RV online, have bought a bunch of stuff from etrailer too. Highly recommend both.

Might want to get a full length splash guard for the rear too to protect that high $$$ trailer from rocks etc. Me I like the Ultragard shield, nothing gets through it and it doesn't get to be a matted mess and ice up like the grass skirts.

IMG00083.jpg

IMG00079.jpg

IMG00080.jpg
http://i152.photobucket.com/albums/s190/carolinapowerstroke/2004 Ram 3500/IMG00080.jpg
http://i152.photobucket.com/albums/s190/carolinapowerstroke/2004 Ram 3500/IMG00079.jpg

azbound

I have a BH 3400 RL with the Trailair hitch pin and love it. I think all the hitch pins mention work well, the real difference is the price.

RIOF16

Great information, thanks again. Hey, Mr. Jarrett, thanks for taking the pictures. I'll go dig out the dremmel.

That reminds me of a funny story. 4 or 5 years ago, I called Dale Jarrett's office to offer him an F-16 ride. I talked to his secretary, or agent, or whatever you call her. Real nice girl. You know what she said? "Um, I'm sorry, but his wife won't let him because it's too dangerous. Yeah, we've had someone call before about a fighter jet ride". I had to laugh out loud. I wanted to say, "uh, is his wife aware of what he does to pay for all that lifestyle she enjoys?... you know, just curious."

That reminds me, I need to put up one of those "avatar" things.....:cool:

RIO

Detmer

Congratulations.. I took delivery of my 3210 in the beginning of June.
So far so good. I really like the floor plan.

pmmjarrett

Not just tired..... RETIRED!!!
Great information, thanks again. Hey, Mr. Jarrett, thanks for taking the pictures. I'll go dig out the dremmel.

That reminds me of a funny story. 4 or 5 years ago, I called Dale Jarrett's office to offer him an F-16 ride. I talked to his secretary, or agent, or whatever you call her. Real nice girl. You know what she said? "Um, I'm sorry, but his wife won't let him because it's too dangerous. Yeah, we've had someone call before about a fighter jet ride". I had to laugh out loud. I wanted to say, "uh, is his wife aware of what he does to pay for all that lifestyle she enjoys?... you know, just curious."

That reminds me, I need to put up one of those "avatar" things.....:cool:

RIO

BwaaaaaaHaHaaaaa

DJ's wife won't let him ride an F16 because it's to dangerous. That's a hoot......... Guess I won't be calling him to see if he wan't to jump out of a plane with me. LOL

JimandSina

Hello RIO,
Welcome aboard, and, much thanks for your service to our great nation, also congratulations on your 3210 purchase, one thought I had, you might want to look at www.seaeagle.com, they have some awesome inflatable boats that are very compact, extremely durable, and quite affordable , also the Airborne hitch is a great addition, just my 2 cents worth. oh and as I fly very frequently via Southwest for business keep up the great ontime service - :)

PUG

Pug
Your setup sounds good

Hi and thanks for protecting us here at home. I have an 09 3950 (42') and have really liked it in the six months I have had it. I pull it with an 02 Chev duramax 3/4 ton. The 3/4 ton is actually overloaded on the rear axle and rear tires with the 3950. Anyone looking to pull one of these or a comparable unit should have at least a one ton dually. Surprizingly though I have pulled it about 5k now and it handles fine but a one ton would give me a little better feeling. The 02 duramax pulls it ok but I went ahead and purchased a Hypertech tuner. This tuner has made an incredible difference in the power and has been flawless and easy to use. I am currently installing a pyrometer and boost guage setup so I can see what the turbo is doing. I would recommend this after doing a lot of research and talking to a lot of diesel mechanics. I run the hypertech on the lowest (76 hp) setting without a pyrometer. After I get it installed I figure I can run it easily on the middle or high power settings of +94 or +113hp. By having the pyrometer you can see when you need to back off of the throttle when using the additional horsepower without melting the turbo. I installed the air shocks with in cab pump and guage. A must do thing that makes the ride and level very nice. I installed the Firestone unit. I have a std. Reese 5th wheel hitch in the shortbed Chevy. The round corner of the Cyclone makes doing an almost 90 degree turn easy with no worry to hit the cab (up to 89degrees). I did have to purchase a low profile tool box and sell my old one that stuck up about 6 inches. I find by loading by two dirt bikes and street bike in the back actually unloads the king pin and rear axle of the truck helping that overload factor but of course increases the overall weight to 18k plus. Have fun.

rvansnick

Dear Rio,
You will love your new cyclone and we just purchased ours from John at Lakeshore a few weeks ago. We live nearly 1400 miles away and I just wanted to reasure you that the service we got was amazing and the quality of the unit is impeckable. They delivered it right to our door in less than 1 week from buying it. Also i had a couple of minor issues and the factory and this site have been truly amazing. Welcome aboard and look forward to your comments once you get you new 3210.

Rick & Jennifer VanSnick
Nova Scotia, Canada
2008 Cyclone 3795

bigredtruck

We also just ordered the 3210 and got the Cherrywood cabinets and Corian Countertops. Decided to really go all out and got almost every option except the security camera and racing graphics. John at Lakeshore was great with making suggestions and getting the financing going etc. DH wanted to drive to Michigan to pick it up (from the West Coast) but was finally convinced the economics didn't make sense. Thank goodness! We are really looking forward to having all of the extra storage space for our stuff, as well as a big bedroom/den (in the garage) for the kids.

RIOF16

Preliminary report on new 3210 cyclone

New 2009 Cyclone 3210 is an awesome trailer. Works great with 2008 GMC 2500HD Ext cab, short bed diesel 4x4. Pulled it from Muskegon, MI to southern Ohio. Working a few problems (actually mostly factory-originated problems), but over-all I think Lakeshore RV is an honest dealer. John has worked really hard to make me happy. I'd buy from him again.

Lessons:
Make sure you allow plenty of time for PDI. Take your time!
- This thing is well-built and engineered for an RV. It isn't perfect, or built like a home, but it is obvious heartland is making a good product compared to many others. Well thought out.
- Didn't get my chocks or toilet chem, and didn't notice until I got home.
- Front steps were warped, didn't notice until I got home. Already into warranty work.
- I ordered heat pump with solar charger option. Well, the factory forgot. It wasn't installed. No kidding. But... in the frey and focus on other things, I didn't catch that until I got home.
- Hard surface counter option a must.
- Cherry cabinets nice too.
- Sliding door a must.
- Rear screen is nice if you plan to have the back ramp down at night.
- Twin power beds cost a lot, but probably useful.
- Generator runs smooth. It isn't silent, but not really loud. Costs a lot. Don't know how much gas it will use in a night. That could be a significant cost. Remember, you only need the gen for air conditioning, microwave, stereo, tv, vaccum, and anything else you might plug in to 110 volt like a hair dryer or cell phone (also the fridge, but it runs off propane too if no 110 volt available). And only if you are not at a site with electric hookup. All fans, lights, and the water pump on the rig are 12v DC. That's why I bought the twin 6v batteries.
- I bought the dual 6 volt batteries from the dealer. A must for "unplugged" use. Extends the use of lights for days. Should be a factory option.
- Main bed mattress is a joke. Plan to put in a better one. There should be an upgrade for this.
- No electronic ignition on cook stove. Weak, dude, I mean come on. Bring long handle lighter.
- One piece shower is nice.
- Water pump makes a lot of noise. Pressure is up and down, but that's what you expect with an onboard demand-type pump.
- 75 gals ain't much. Plan to hookup to water whenever you can.
- Standard fridge and freezer work great on electric or gas.
- Power awning is nice.
- Vaccum WORKS. I expected a joke, but it is powerful.
- Two A/Cs will probably come in handy. Just realize that each pulls 15 amps. If you are at a 30 amp hookup, don't plan to run both with anything else like the microwave. No big deal, just plan for it. And if you blow a breaker, just reset it.
- I blew the 30 amp fuze putting the front gear down. No spares onboard either. Remember, not meant to raise the thing, just stabilize. Which, by the way, it doesn't do very well. You can feel someone else walking around because it wables the whole rig. I guess that's normal for any 5th wheel that big.
- The rig is BIG. I am very glad I didn't get a 3795.
- But, it pulls VERY stable and smooth.
- 10,266 lbs vehicle ship weight on the sticker.
- Bought the 7 year warranty with 50 dollar deductible. Your choice on that one. I bought it for the peace of mind, so I don't have to worry about paying 3 or 4 grand if something major blows. I'll be just as happy if nothing ever goes wrong.
- Brakes work absolutely great with Tekonsha T3 controller. Great benefit having 3 axles with 6 wheels on the trailer with brakes. It will stop.
- However, it is very hard on the tires and wheels to make a hard turn and drag that third axle. You can watch them roll and twist. Nothing you can do about that except cringe, or try to think ahead and stop at truck stops so you can make wide turns.
- B & W turnover hitch with companion 5th works great. Plenty of turn room. Actually, the first thing to touch is the pinbox cover on the side of the bed, long before the cab even comes close. Still, no problems turning.
- Rides good towing, but jerks the truck back and forth some when hitting bumps. I have a set of ride-rite air helpers sitting at home to install yet. Looking into trail-air pin box also.
- 10 mpg (diesel) with truck mentioned above. 26 gal tank on shortbed truck = short range. Looking into 20 gal aux tank for bed of truck.
- Temp tag is only 15 days. Weak, dude, seriously, I mean come on. :D

Questions?
- RIO

bigredtruck

This is great information RIO! DH has decided to go to Muskegon to get the trailer due to other folks comments on Lakeshore's PDI. Now we know a few more things to look for and to remind the dealer about our options BEFORE DH gets there next week. Now if we could just sell the tralier I am sitting in right now!!!And we had already decided to upgrade the bed. Stock trailer beds are notoriously BAD!
I've also been losing sleep over a couple of not so good reviews I read about Lakeshore, so the people from Nova Scotia have made me feel a little better too.