Recommendation for Glacier?

pcm_15

We are planning a trip to Glacier National Park this summer over the July 4 timeframe. Does anyone have a solid recommendation for an RV park to stay at (ie. Centrally located to lots of stuff, private...)? A quick search on the full forum said the KOA in West Glacier was solid. Anyone have experience there? Thanks in advance.

Last edited by a moderator:

Piperflyer

Hopefully the Road to the Sun is free of snow by then. We stayed at San Sue Ed RV Park while there. It is just down the road from the West Glacier entrance right before the KOA. Nice place if you can't get in the KOA

travelin2

Pennsylvania Chapter Leaders-retired
We've stayed in Columbia falls RV park, spruce park on the river both good. Reservations required that time of year. Also stayed in the park at apgar fc-fs. Nice park if you boondock.
Many many to choose from. Stay on the west side much more to do.
We'll likely be there too. One of our sons lives in Columbia falls...
Reach out if you're there
Lyle

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

klindgren

Retired Virginia Chapter Leaders
We are planning a trip to Glacier National Park this summer over the July 4 timeframe. Does anyone have a solid recommendation for an RV park to stay at (ie. Centrally located to lots of stuff, private...)? A quick search on the full forum said the KOA in West Glacier was solid. Anyone have experience there? Thanks in advance.

We stayed at the KOA West Glacier for a week this past September on our western trip. Very nice campground, wonderful people and a great jumping off place for Glacier National Park as well as the surrounding area. I would highly recommend it.

Lynn1130

I have never driven the Road to the Sun pulling an RV but have in a car and I am not sure I would like to try it pulling a trailer.

I just looked and there is a 21 foot length and 10 foot height restriction on the road and it is still going through repairs in places.

travelin2

Size restrictions are for small class C type rvs and small towables like tent campers.
It's tight for just a dually!!!!

Regulations

diagram illsutrating vehicle size limits
Limit 21 ft (6.4 m) long, 8 ft (2.4 m) wide, 10 ft (3 m) tall
Vehicle Size Restrictions
Vehicles, and vehicle combinations, longer than 21 feet (including bumpers) or wider than 8 feet (including mirrors), are prohibited between Avalanche Campground and the Rising Sun picnic area parking. Vehicle and vehicle combinations over 10 feet in height may have difficulty driving west from Logan Pass to the Loop, due to rock overhangs. Stock trucks and trailers are able to access Packers Roost on the west, and Siyeh Bend on the east.

MTPockets

Even though you could drive the sun road (not towing), I would recommend the shuttle bus. We drove it once in a car, but with the very narrow road, and bicycles sharing the road, we opted for the shuttle next time and had a great time..

travelin2

Even though you could drive the sun road (not towing), I would recommend the shuttle bus. We drove it once in a car, but with the very narrow road, and bicycles sharing the road, we opted for the shuttle next time and had a great time..

X2. Driven it 4 times now. You're definitely busy as the driver. AND if you want a place to park up at the Logan Pass visitors center, be there very early!!!!

Piperflyer

Take the Red Bus trip for going to the Sun. The drivers are full of knowledge and history of the area. If you drive the going to the Sun Road, the driver might as well forget about seeing anything and forget about enjoying the trip.
Make reservations when you first get to the park as the trips fill up early.

klindgren

Retired Virginia Chapter Leaders
Take the Red Bus trip for going to the Sun. The drivers are full of knowledge and history of the area. If you drive the going to the Sun Road, the driver might as well forget about seeing anything and forget about enjoying the trip.
Make reservations when you first get to the park as the trips fill up early.

I totally agree. I've done it both ways. The first time I visited the park I drove Going to the Sun Road (well, actually I rode it as I was on my motorcycle). Didn't get to see a whole lot because of watching the road and other traffic. The second time I visited the park we took the Red Bus Tour. Well worth the money. It was an excellent trip with the bus driver stopping at all the good photo spots and telling us the history of the park and area as we drove. I would highly recommend the tour.