Adding a EMS-HW50C from Progressive Industries

Chris_Mc

Hi all, Purchased a Bighorn 3685RL last fall and received a Progressive Ind. EMS-HW50C unit for Christmas. Now how and where to install it is the question. Has anyone on here installed a EMS or similar product in their Bighorn? Any lessons learned or feedback would be appreciated. My biggest question is were did you splice into the shore power line.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
I have installed a couple of EMS systems.
I suggest that you purchase about 5 or 6 feet of 6/3 w/ground cable or what ever length you deem necessary.
Start by making sure you are disconnected from shore power and generator off.
Remove your breaker panel, disconnect the two #6 wires from the main breaker, white neutral and ground wires.
Attach one end of the cable that you bought in the places where your disconnected from the breakers, neutral and ground.
Then attach the other end of that cable to the out side of the EMS and the original cable that you disconnected to the in side of the EMS.
If you have other questions just ask them here on the forum.
Oh, and I moved your post to the electrical forum.

Peace
Dave

Oregon_Camper

I have installed a couple of EMS systems.
I suggest that you purchase about 5 or 6 feet of 6/3 w/ground cable or what ever length you deem necessary.
Start by making sure you are disconnected from shore power and generator off.
Remove your breaker panel, disconnect the two #6 wires from the main breaker, white neutral and ground wires.
Attach one end of the cable that you bought in the places where your disconnected from the breakers, neutral and ground.
Then attach the other end of that cable to the out side of the EMS and the original cable that you disconnected to the in side of the EMS.
If you have other questions just ask them here on the forum.
Oh, and I moved your post to the electrical forum.

Peace
Dave

Thanks for the information. I will also be installing my EMS (in the Spring) and I like this method vs cutting the line. This allows me to remove EMS from RV if I ever decide to sell and take EMS with me. :)

- - - Updated - - -

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
While you're in the belly of the beast, installing the EMS, take a look at where your converter is mounted. I would strongly suggest mounting both in an accessible position where they are not under any water lines. In particular, the known to fail anti-siphon valve for the black tank flush. The fan for the converter needs to draw clean air, not dirt and debris left from construction.

The photo shows how I relocated my units. I cut an access panel in the basement wall so I can easily reach the fuses on the converter.

Attachments

• Converter remount.JPG
    Converter remount.JPG
    129.2 KB · Views: 75
  • Converter access.jpg
    Converter access.jpg
    80.7 KB · Views: 62