Garmin RV760 and alternatives

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Well, thanks to our Rand McNally 5510 again leading us astray on our Christmas trip and some Christmas money, we have a Garmin RV 760LMT gps. We're already amazed, it understands voice commands, and the touch screen actually responds to your touch, and it can act as a hands free speaker for your cell phone!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
Re: What did you do to your camper today?

Well, thanks to our Rand McNally 5510 again leading us astray on our Christmas trip and some Christmas money, we have a Garmin RV 760LMT gps. We're already amazed, it understands voice commands, and the touch screen actually responds to your touch, and it can act as a hands free speaker for your cell phone!

My 5510 has led me down the wrong path a couple of times . . . once even made me back up almost a mile on a dirt mountain road with our previous Heartland Trail Runner hitched up!

And where it told me to get on the highway actually put me in the parking lot of the Cabella's headquarters in Sydney, Nebraska on our way home from South Dakota.

But has been a pretty decent unit overall!

Now, I got it for Christmas of 2012 . . . the very next day I had to exchange it at Camping World as it didn't work . . . that one got me about two years and as I was downloading an update and my first Lifetime Map and it freaked out and crashed . . . and Rand McNally replaced it with a refurbished unit!

I use it every single day . . .

It is old enough now that the battery only lasts about two minutes and I think it keeps downloading the same update when I plug it in to the computer, plus I purchased Lifetime Maps for it and it keeps telling me I need to install a minimum of an 8GB micro SD card (I have installed a 16GB card) in order for the new map update to download, but it never seems to download anything on that card, so I'm not sure I have gotten the map update.

But it still works . . .

I think I may get a bigger one next time around . . . may check out one of the other brands, although I've been for the most part happy with the features of the Rand McNally!

travelin2

Pennsylvania Chapter Leaders-retired

We have the 760 and like it for the most part. It has led us astray a few times but I attribute that to the data base holding a mailing address not the physical address. Do you have the free lifetime updates? Take advantage of those. We like the fact it can discriminate between a car route vs a RV route.

Oregon_Camper

First, I'm only asking for my own sake....not to question your purchase.

So, why do you use a GPS like the Garmin, when Google Maps, Waze, and 100's of other apps are available for free or under $10?

I've heard some say Garmin has better routing for RV's, but is this really true? Have you ever put them head-to-head to determine if Garmin is a better choice?

I only ask, as (crossing my fingers) my wife I will retire in ~6 years and I want to ensure I have all this stuff ironed out from all you full-timers knowledge.

danemayer

So, why do you use a GPS like the Garmin, when Google Maps, Waze, and 100's of other apps are available for free or under $10?

I've heard some say Garmin has better routing for RV's, but is this really true? Have you ever put them head-to-head to determine if Garmin is a better choice?

I only ask, as (crossing my fingers) my wife I will retire in ~6 years and I want to ensure I have all this stuff ironed out from all you full-timers knowledge.

A couple of years ago I tried out GPS CoPilot running on my iPad. The large iPad screen, combined with the map display used by the app, made for a stunning navigation experience. I think the app cost me $10 to upgrade from the free version to the voice guidance version.

But I wanted to make sure I could depend on the routing. One concern was that the custom profile only allowed a 13'0" height, which is a little less than our actual height.

After some extensive side-by-side comparison to the Garmin RV760, it became clear that the 2 devices never agreed on routing, even with the same settings. The differences appeared on all portions of each trip. On the highway, on interconnections, in town. The map data came from a different source, so between different programming and different data, the one thing I could be certain of was that the GPS CoPilot app would not take me on the same route as the Garmin.

Having used the Garmin and the DEZL predecessor for several years, I had high confidence in its routing. I didn't take the routes proposed by the CoPilot, so I can't say that they would have been a problem. But I didn't have confidence.

I also thought the user interface to get to different parts of the app was exceedingly confusing and clumsy.

So despite the wonderful map display, I stuck with the Garmin 760.

As for Google Maps and Waze, I don't think they have RV profiles.

MikeR

I

I also use the Garmin RV 760LMT. I like it because the size of the screen allows me to actually see everything on the screen. Mine is mounted on the top of the dash, in the middle. I like that it shows ahead of time which lane I need to be in to take my off ramp or interchange. A separate screen shot of the off ramp is handy also. There is just a lot more information available on the Garmin.

Sometimes I use my Samsung phone and Google maps when not towing. Garmin actually gives me more information. I have never compared routing between them.

In regards to separate routing for RVs, that is another reason for buying. Having done more investigation after buying, I understand that the routing is no different whether in RV mode or just routing a car.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired

I think others have all mentioned reasons, here are mine:

* RV specific routing, taking into account my height, weight and length (load zoned bridges, turning capability, and low clearances are just some things the RV specific GPS is supposed to account for)

* Always connected (GPS has never dropped out, as far as I can recall, unlike cell service, which in some areas we travel can be non-existent) And more pin-point accurate to your exact location than cellular/gps locating. My cell always seems to be lagging.

* Large screen (this one is 7", the previous was 5") so easy to see the displayed route. I really like how when you are about to be directed to "do something different", it shows you the intersection, lanes, off-ramp, etc. in perspective, as you would see it in real life.

* Current speed display, speed warning, and speed notifications. GPS can alert you to the speed limit change, before you get to it. Especially helpful in routes through Texas where every small town has a speed reduction, taking you from 75 to 35 in less than a mile. Also can alert you if you are going faster than a designated speed (like 65!)

* Though we have rarely used it, GPS has pre-programmed points of interest and necessities for RVers, like RV parks, diesel fuel, tire repair and propane.

* This Garmin mentions it has the capability of real-time weather and traffic, which we might utilize.

The truck has NAV, and we have Google Maps on our phones. Often we will have the truck NAV on just to show the "lay of the land", not navigating. Often I'll check the route on the phone in Google Maps to see if we are following the route we expect (since we cannot 100% trust the GPS).

Oregon_Camper

Not to mention that using a GPS unit won't use up all of your data plan . . .

You can download States worth of data to the SD card and not use any data. I do this when riding dirtbikes and there is no cell coverage.

Andoid devices allow you to navigate with the GPS, I think you must have cell coverage for iPhone/iPad's to work (even though they have GPS)

- - - Updated - - -

In regards to separate routing for RVs, that is another reason for buying. Having done more investigation after buying, I understand that the routing is no different whether in RV mode or just routing a car.

You're saying the routing is not different when in RV or Car mode? I would sure hope that it would....that would be the #1 valve (for me) for getting something like this.

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...

My Rand McNally GPS routes differently from standard 'car' mode when I have it in 'RV' mode.

Plus, the RV poi's that are built-in are awesome!

The GPS poi's was how I found Sun City RV in Phoenix less than a mile away from where we had a massive wheel bearing burnout on our previous trailer.

It even gave me their phone number and hours of business so I could call them up to see if I could limp our trailer over there as it was right in the middle of rush hour on a weekday afternoon.

Oregon_Camper

I think others have all mentioned reasons, here are mine:

* RV specific routing, taking into account my height, weight and length (load zoned bridges, turning capability, and low clearances are just some things the RV specific GPS is supposed to account for)

* Always connected (GPS has never dropped out, as far as I can recall, unlike cell service, which in some areas we travel can be non-existent) And more pin-point accurate to your exact location than cellular/gps locating. My cell always seems to be lagging.

* Large screen (this one is 7", the previous was 5") so easy to see the displayed route. I really like how when you are about to be directed to "do something different", it shows you the intersection, lanes, off-ramp, etc. in perspective, as you would see it in real life.

* Current speed display, speed warning, and speed notifications. GPS can alert you to the speed limit change, before you get to it. Especially helpful in routes through Texas where every small town has a speed reduction, taking you from 75 to 35 in less than a mile. Also can alert you if you are going faster than a designated speed (like 65!)

* Though we have rarely used it, GPS has pre-programmed points of interest and necessities for RVers, like RV parks, diesel fuel, tire repair and propane.

* This Garmin mentions it has the capability of real-time weather and traffic, which we might utilize.

The truck has NAV, and we have Google Maps on our phones. Often we will have the truck NAV on just to show the "lay of the land", not navigating. Often I'll check the route on the phone in Google Maps to see if we are following the route we expect (since we cannot 100% trust the GPS).

OK...you guys are starting to sway me. :) I also just watched 5 Youtube video's and I have to say, that is one nice looking device with a lot of features. :D

Question...how quick does traffic get updated? Any info like "object in the road" or "icy road" or "police ahead"???

Just a note...in a recent update to Waze, they now have posted speed for your location and your actual speed. You can tell it to alert you at as soon as you're over the limit or at a certain percentage. I picked 10%

KrazyKampers

Pennsylvania Chapter Leaders-Retired

Not to mention that using a GPS unit won't use up all of your data plan . . .

We have a Garmin 760 and used it last summer on our trip from PA to MN. As the navigator, I never rely on only one source. I also use the Motorcarrier Road Atlas to map our route before we hit the road. There is also Low Clearances that will update your truck installed GPS or the Garmin with much more data. We will be purchasing that update before we hit the road this camping season. The Garmin worked very well and we had no issues. I know it's overkill but I also use Google maps just to be sure!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

danemayer

GPS CoPilot doesn't require a connection to the internet while driving. But if you have one, the integration of Yelp and Google for POIs is very helpful.

You do need an iPad that has a GPS chip. I think iPads with both WiFi and Cell capability have GPS. WiFi-only iPads may not have GPS.

JWalker

Northeast Region Director-Retired

GPS CoPilot doesn't require a connection to the internet while driving. But if you have one, the integration of Yelp and Google for POIs is very helpful.

You do need an iPad that has a GPS chip. I think iPads with both WiFi and Cell capability have GPS. WiFi-only iPads may not have GPS.

Is this the CoPilot your talking about?
http://www.copilotgps.com/en-us/rv-navigation/

5bepds.jpg

JWalker

Yes, although I haven't used the $59.99 version.

What version are you using? How can you tell if you iPad has the GPS chip in it? I picked an iPad mini up a few months back. Looking to get a dedicated GPS for the truck and this might fit the bill if it works.
Thanks

danemayer

I installed the free version a few years ago and used the in-app upgrade to get the voice directed nav feature. I'd suggest trying out the free version before going any further.

If your iPad can make a data connection over the cell network, not just WiFi, I think it has the GPS chip. The WiFi only models do not.

JWalker

I installed the free version a few years ago and used the in-app upgrade to get the voice directed nav feature. I'd suggest trying out the free version before going any further.

If your iPad can make a data connection over the cell network, not just WiFi, I think it has the GPS chip. The WiFi only models do not.

Thanks. It can be used with wifi or data. So I think it would have the chip. Do you use it on a tablet or phone? What mount do you use in your truck?

rxbristol

I like the way you can plan your own route. I put in GPS coordinates for all critical points (turns, exits, fuel, stops, etc.) and link them together as one trip.