Base width for a Queen size bed?

Georgia_Biker

What is the base width and length for a queen size bed?

We have a BH 3875FB with a King size bed. It is a "major pain" for my wife to change sheets because of the tight space. We recently visited some friends that have a 3875FB but, has a queen bed. The difference in space is amazing.

So - if I change the mattress is the base going to be oversize?

danemayer

Larry,

If I remember correctly, a queen size mattress is 60W x 80L. The RV king size is something like 72W x 80L. The platform supporting the king would be about 72", so you'd have to modify it.

Many of us have made it easier to make the bed by installing press-on tiles on the wood surface which allows you to easily slide the mattress. A box of tile usually costs about $20.

Attachments

• RV Bed Tile and lift.jpg
    RV Bed Tile and lift.jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 60

Aandaar

Yes it will be larger than the mattress. You will need to trim it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Georgia_Biker

Larry,

If I remember correctly, a queen size mattress is 60W x 80L. The RV king size is something like 72W x 80L. The platform supporting the king would be about 72", so you'd have to modify it.

Many of us have made it easier to make the bed by installing press-on tiles on the wood surface which allows you to easily slide the mattress. A box of tile usually costs about $20.

Great idea Dan I was visiting with Ron (Kathi-27) in Fayetteville yesterday and he has the exact same setup you have pictured. I don't need the head riser though. Thanks.
I will consult with Boss about the tiles. Just so everyone knows do help with changing he sheets.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
When we bought our Big Country, it had a king bed, while our previous rig had a queen. We wanted to keep our Sleep Number Bed, so we told them to keep the king mattress. We used the queen mattress on a king platform for about a month. The mattress was too small for the platform, by 6" each side. However, somehow the mattress would shift and I always had more platform on my side! So it annoyed me faster.

We had planned to cut down the platform, but ended up upgrading the mattress to a king instead. We have two bed- hogging cats that appreciated the king.

MCTalley

We've always just cut our platform down to width. In the case of our first and current rigs, they have hydraulic bedroom slides. The box underneath is approximately 63" wide, so we ended up with about 1 1/2 to 2" of extra box/board on each side. That's not near as bad as the 6" Erika mentioned.

On our second trailer (the front bath Big Country), the bedroom slide was electric (cable) and the box was narrower. I was able to cut the platform down to exactly 60" with some still hanging over the box.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
We've always just cut our platform down to width. In the case of our first and current rigs, they have hydraulic bedroom slides. The box underneath is approximately 63" wide, so we ended up with about 1 1/2 to 2" of extra box/board on each side. That's not near as bad as the 6" Erika mentioned.

On our second trailer (the front bath Big Country), the bedroom slide was electric (cable) and the box was narrower. I was able to cut the platform down to exactly 60" with some still hanging over the box.

Malcolm may be right, maybe it was 6" total... I just remember it was a lot to potentially scrape my leg on getting in/out of bed. Lol!