Stored Camper Security

Bones

So I recently experienced a break in of our camper. They broke the window crank by prying under the window and gaining access. They stole the TV Blue-ray player and several other items. This has me thinking. Is there any way to have a security system in the RV when it is not hooked up to shore power with video cameras and so forth. I would love to hear ideas. Thanks. As of now the camper count is up to 9 campers broken into. There is Cell service but no WIFI at the facility.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
So I recently experienced a break in of our camper. They broke the window crank by prying under the window and gaining access. They stole the TV Blue-ray player and several other items. This has me thinking. Is there any way to have a security system in the RV when it is not hooked up to shore power with video cameras and so forth. I would love to hear ideas. Thanks. As of now the camper count is up to 9 campers broken into. There is Cell service but no WIFI at the facility.

I have a couple of security solutions, but they all require some AC power to work. Now that AC power could come from DC with an inverter, but that source must be reliable. I'll PM you with specifics.

BTW, in sorry you were broken in to. We experienced that as well, with our North Trail, but it was just the basement. I feel your pain.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bones

I have a couple of security solutions, but they all require some AC power to work. Now that AC power could come from DC with an inverter, but that source must be reliable. I'll PM you with specifics.

BTW, in sorry you were broken in to. We experienced that as well, with our North Trail, but it was just the basement. I feel your pain.

Thanks

KenandKK

Sorry to hear.... Most times, just hanging security protection signs will keep burglars away. Or a little blinking led light like GM puts on the dash, keeps them thinking.

Bones

I'm not looking at stopping them but more of an extra way of being able to hopefully catch the thieves.

Bones

Well I have an Idea for a camera system and lights. Jerrod uses those motion sensors. If I were to install them and use a car backup camera and some how tie the lights to the motion sensor I could have everything come on once the camper is entered but I haven't figured out how to get a recording device to record. I could also switch the sensor to trip a very loud alarm to help scare the people away once entered.

- - - Updated - - -

I checked the camper today and unfortunately found out they broke the sink too. Maybe I can replace it with a deeper sink and single basin.

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
We keep our Prowler parked next to our house . . . probably not really any more secure here than in a secured storage facility!

Heck, someone tried to steal my hitch out of the back of my truck in our driveway a couple of weeks back in broad daylight!

I guess that is part of the reason we all have insurance on our rigs . . .

ProwlerSnowFront-P1050564.jpg

Bones

Insurance helps on big things and big failures. It does not help much with the small things. I have a deductible and the insurance doesn't care if it was my fault or not.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
When ours was broken into back in 2010, they damaged the door glass and lock and stole both TV's. Insurance covered it all. I replaced the TV's, sent the invoices in and they reimbursed me. Door repairs were paid to the dealer I took it to. The rig was in a "secure" storage yard with cameras, but the thieves faces were obscured. 15 rigs were broken into.