Powerstroke Diesel Site!

J

Jim_1899

I plugged in the block heater for the first time. At what temperature should I plug it in? Can it cause problems if it is plugged in for too long of a period.

Jim

nhunter

I plug mine in in anything below-10C (-15F). You can leave it plugged in as long as you want with no damage. You can get block heater "switches" that are just a plug with a thermostat that you tape onto your heater hose and it turns it on and off as the tempurature climbs and drops. I use an electric timer that I set 4 hours before I want to leave in the am. Timer works very well and they say any more than 4 hours is a waste anyway. Just be sure to get a timer rated for more than 1500watts ( I have a 1850 watt Noma)

tdharley

I have never plugged mine in.

From what I understand the temperatures gotta go pretty low & I just do not see that in my area.

Tom of Ypsi

For some unknown reason Ford Motor sees no reason to put engine block heaters on the newer trucks here in Michigan but do offer them as an option:confused:. I do not have an engine block heater for that reason. I have been in temps as low as -20 F with an average high of around + 10 F for several days without starting my truck with no problems. The truck does groan a little and is much louder until it warms up.

jpmorgan37

Tom;
What brand and weight oil do you use? I've got 23000 miles on my 550 and am thinking about changing to Delvac or Rotunda synthetic 5w 40. That's what I've used in my GMC's and Chevy's and had great luck with it in Northern Minnesota and never plugged in my block heaters.
Thanks,
John

Trap

Tom of Ypsi said:
For some unknown reason Ford Motor sees no reason to put engine block heaters on the newer trucks here in Michigan but do offer them as an option:confused:. I do not have an engine block heater for that reason. I have been in temps as low as -20 F with an average high of around + 10 F for several days without starting my truck with no problems. The truck does groan a little and is much louder until it warms up.

Tom if I'm not mistaken your truck has the Block Heater but maybe not the chord. On the Newer Fords They have a special chord that plugs into the block (not sure where). Also it's the dealers that don't order the Block Heaters not FMC.

Trap

Tom of Ypsi

John, On my last truck I used Amsoil with dual by-pass oil filters and I had 20 K on the same oil, as clean as the day I put it in. On my current truck I am using Rotella 5w 40 and change oil between 5 and 7 K depending on the use of the truck.

Tom of Ypsi

Trap,
You are correct in the fact that FMC trucks do have the engine block heater but no cord. In the brochures in the US, at least when I bought my truck and I do believe even in the 2008 ordering guide, that Michigan was one of the states that the engine block heater is an option. In some states, somewhere around 8, the heater is standard.

Trap

Not sure how it works nowadays, I do know I real gald mine came with it, cause last week we were having -40 with wind chill for day time highs.:eek:

Trap

Even if it's not much below Freezing I usually plug it in for 45 minutes to a hour in the mornig. Just so much easier on the motor.

kognito

Trap said:
Tom if I'm not mistaken your truck has the Block Heater but maybe not the chord. On the Newer Fords They have a special chord that plugs into the block (not sure where). Also it's the dealers that don't order the Block Heaters not FMC.

Trap

Don't buy the cord from Ford. I payed 8.25 for the cord at my local International truck dealer. Local Ford dealer wanted 30.45 plus half hour labor to install. (took me 5 minutes to install with help from this link http://www.forddoctorsdts.com/articles/article-05-20.php

nhunter

I'm in Canada so I never thought about not having a block heater cord. I run 15w-40 year round(non-synthetic). I know of a few people that used to run 0w-30 in their 7.3l but reported slight oil consumption. Me truck tends to run for most of the day in the winter once it is started hence the 15w-40 year round.If you feel like spending some money Webasto makes a diesel engine heater that runs off of 12v and diesel fuel and preheats engine and cab for $2000cdn.

Loco

Tom is right All the power strokes have the heater in the block. The power cord does not come in it in some states and it is a option. The heater is just above the starter on the right side. The cord is 95 bucks from Ford and must be routed just right so not to get hurt. I hear that you can get the cord at a lower price from International dealer. Same cord from them as the Ford.