Direct TV

bsummit

Arkansas Chapter Leader-Retired
:)Just got rid of Dish Network and subscribed to direct tv. Got a free RV kit with the deal an oval dish, triple LNB, tripod and coax. Had two receivers put in the house and 1 in the 5er. Direct gives support to RV'ers. They use to be like dish and didn't support rv'ers but they do now. Had no problem at all receiveing all 3 satellite's, very quick setup. Sure better than the luck I had with dish network. Won't get to use it till Oct. on our first trip after retirement.
Bill

Tankie

bsummit, did u have trouble getting a signal with dish? We just moved from CA. to CO. and I cant get a darn thing have called dish 3 times and they want to sent out a retail guy. I am not very happy! think I am going buy out of contract and get direct tv

busted2341

Tankie,

Got to tell u that I still laugh at my camping buddies when we set up. Takes me 5 minutes to set up DirecTV while they each spend hours with setting up DISH. I left DISh that for that reason. Make the change, it'll be worth it.

Tankie

busted2341,

Thanks for the info. I have called dish at least 5 times and they seem to know less than I do. Do you have your dish set up on a tripod?

bsummit

Tankie, like busted said, have had trouble with dish in the rv for about 2 yrs. Spent many times on the phone with them and the last time is the straw that broke the camels back. They wanted to send a tech out for a fee of 49.95. I told them to forget it. I called and ordered direct the next day. When the guy installed it in the RV it took him about 5 min. and that's what I here from everybody else that has direct.
Like busted said, make the change and you won't be disappointed.
Bill

Tankie

busted and bsummit,

thanks for all the feed back, looks like Direct gets another customer!
Did you guys have to sign a contract? We are full timers and some parks have cable and some don't would like the option of suspending my service but not sure how that works. I am going to call Direct right now. Thanks

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Right now we're still on my son's spare Direct TV receiver but without networks. I called Direct to get my own service but got tired of trying to convince them to give us the distant network feeds instead of Local network channels. I understand and have agreed to sign their RV agreement also but they want me to call them every time we park somewhere so we can get that areas local channels. I don't want to have to do that. I want east/west coast networks. Any Fulltimers out there want to let me know what you're doing for network channels?

cjbearden

Visitor
Ray

We signed the RV agreement when we first started out traveling in 2006 and have never had to sign it again. We have always had the E/W coast feeds as part of our service. When we started FT this year, DirecTV understood we would not have local channels and we are alright with that. If we know we are going to stay somewhere at least two weeks or longer, we can have local channels turned on but have not done so.

When we got the new Augusta in late June this year, we had the newest SlimLine satellite installed on the roof. All the DirecTV installer had to do was bring us two new HD TIVO receivers and swap out our old receivers (yes, we had to pay about $300 for the two new receivers). They gave us Showtime and HBO free for six months as part of the "new service" or "move" they call it. We did the swap when we were at Fort Collins, CO and the installer was so excited when he saw our set up and realized he only had to give us new boxes. Ours was the first Slim Line on the roof he had seen.

Feel free to email us if you have any other questions. DH dealt with DirecTV so he knows how to get 'er done!

Good luck.
CJ

jnbhobe

Direct TV rv service

I've had direct rv service for 5yrs. A little hassle in the beginning getting the distant broadcast chanels, had to send them copys of the registration for the 5er. The only problem now is they Zap me once in a while and turn every thing off because I'm not hooked to a phone line.I have a dish set up at my campground and I carry a dish and tripod when we're traveling.
PS. My sister has Dish and its a PITA to set up.:p Good luck:)

Tankie

bsummit,

do you have a single or triple LNB? I talked to camping world in Denver and he says the triple LNB is hard to setup.

bsummit

bsummit,

do you have a single or triple LNB? I talked to camping world in Denver and he says the triple LNB is hard to setup.

It's a triple LNB and it didn't take the installer 5 min. to set it up. Thats what I here from most everybody else that has Direct. Real easy to set up and find the satellite's. Much easier than Dish.

Tankie

I think camping wanted to sell me a roof mount setup. Did you do a rv agreement? Direct told me I needed to get the dish and they had the recivers. I will have to call them back and get more info. Thanks for all the info!

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
CJ, Sandra and jnphobe, Thanks for the replies. I've talked with Direct too many times when we first got back from TX and as long as our mailing address OR the location where we are parked has locals available, that's what we have to use. I think they quit allowing distant networks a while back and they grandfathered in those that were already receiving them. I do have the ability to switch between antenna and dish by just selecting the right input on the TV. But, where we are at in WI gets crappy reception on the antenna, It's our last year in this park. Next year we'll have cable and free wi-fi. Yeah Baby! SO once we leave here we'll be fine. I just hate the restrictions Direct puts on people. Probably government regulated though. We should be able to get what we want if we're willing to pay for it

bsummit

Ray, I guess it depends on who you talk to at Direct. We have some full time friends who got the east/west feeds while we were at a park in Conway, Arkansas the first week in June. I think it did take them several phone calls over a couple of weeks and they finally got it. The guy that just installed my system said you could get it.
It does make it furstrating when one tells you one thing and somebody else tells you the opposite.
Bill

Tom of Ypsi

We have Direct TV single LNB sat dish mounted on our roof with the the non HD receivers. Can some one tell us if we need to upgrade our dish for HD reception? I do not think so but cannot get a straight answer from Direct TV. Another question is, we know we have to get HD receivers for HD television but do we need to buy the receivers and if so what do we do with the old receivers? This is another question we cannot get answered from Direct TV. Seems wastefull to just throw out the perfectly good non HD receivers an no where can we find out if we can trade them in for some type of money off deal.