Induction Cooktop - Glass Top Shattered

jbeletti

Anyone who has the Induction Cooktop in their Heartland, knows these have a glass top. Logic follows that this glass could get broken. We have not taken it easy on ours and it's held up well for over 2 years of significant use, both on cooking and in storing items on the counter and the cooktop.

Well, today it met its match - pothole-rich I-40 through Flagstaff, AZ! And while I avoided most of them by looking ahead and moving around them, there was one that snuck up on me and it was a doozy! It really lurched the truck and by extension, the RV.

I have MORryde IS (independent suspension) and it's good, but it's not a miracle against all perils.

So today, a glass shade from an LED ceiling light above the microwave, came off and dropped straight down onto the two-burner glass cooktop. The shade is okay but the cooktop shattered. Looks like glass shade dropped perpendicular to the glass surface with the edge of the shade contacting the cooktop. My guess is that had it hit the cooktop flat, we might have gotten lucky.

Anyway, here's my oops of the day:
Induction Cooktop - Shattered Glass.jpg

Nabo

Southeast Region Director-Retired
Ouch :( Now something else to check on our coach every so often - the ceiling lights. Thanks for sharing.

asherwin

Ouch! How extensive is the fix for that? Complete unit or just glass top?

Have found our hanging lights (3) over kitchen island loose more than once and got them tightened before any consequences.

By the by there are four Heartland Ontario Chapter rigs in Casa Grande AZ if you happen to be in the neighborhood.

Cheers

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Oh Jim! Sorry to hear. Ours had a scratch on it noted pre-PDI, and it was cracked at PDI. (I think someone broke it trying to remove it.) The dealer replaced the entire cooktop as one piece, I believe, during a return visit for warranty work.

Our dining fixture has broken/shattered twice!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jbeletti

Ouch :( Now something else to check on our coach every so often - the ceiling lights. Thanks for sharing.

Byrd - when I replace the glass shade on that light, I plan to use a few dabs of silicone rubber (RTV) in a couple spots around the perimeter of the shade to secure it to the ceiling panel. Just on that one light.

jbeletti

Ouch! How extensive is the fix for that? Complete unit or just glass top?

Have found our hanging lights (3) over kitchen island loose more than once and got them tightened before any consequences.

By the by there are four Heartland Ontario Chapter rigs in Casa Grande AZ if you happen to be in the neighborhood.

Cheers

I plan on just replacing the entire cooking unit. That should be pretty simple. Once out, I may look at the old one to se if the glass can be replaced. Would be a good backup or use as a counter-top model.

We are not staying in AZ, so can't join you guys. Be sure to reach out to all Heartlanders you see pull into your park.

jbeletti

Oh man we were just talking about those cooktop. Time for the Furrion 😀

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Yeah, I'm excited about the "look" of the new Furrion propane cooktop and built-in oven. Hope they perform as nice as they look :)

jbeletti

Oh Jim! Sorry to hear. Ours had a scratch on it noted pre-PDI, and it was cracked at PDI. (I think someone broke it trying to remove it.) The dealer replaced the entire cooktop as one piece, I believe, during a return visit for warranty work.

Our dining fixture has broken/shattered twice!

Yeah, I'm thinking replacement is the best. I too have been a member of the dropping/shattering dinette light shade. I think Mark Comer is a member too. Loctite is your friend on the threads :)

mlpeloquin

Sounds like a need to put a Afghan or towel over the cook top to protect it while traveling. We put a towel around the microwave turntable glass platter to protect it while traveling. Some have had that expensive glass turntable break while traveling. Got used to doing it when we had a class C to eliminate the noise it made going down the road.

jbeletti

Sounds like a need to put a Afghan or towel over the cook top to protect it while traveling. We put a towel around the microwave turntable glass platter to protect it while traveling. Some have had that expensive glass turntable break while traveling. Got used to doing it when we had a class C to eliminate the noise it made going down the road.

Marc - unsure if a towel etc. will stay on the smooth glass top while traveling. Maybe if you put a sheet of gripping shelf liner on the glass, then add a towel. Good to go then :)

TravelTiger

Yeah, I'm thinking replacement is the best. I too have been a member of the dropping/shattering dinette light shade. I think Mark Comer is a member too. Loctite is your friend on the threads :)

In our case the glass globe moves too much within the metal ring that surrounds it. Not an assembly issue, it's just not a good fixture choice because it has to travel. Working on a solution with Heartland.

TravelTiger

Stuff happens and we roll with it :) Nancy put tape over the cracks and we'll use it until I replace it.

We used the burner that was not near the crack until ours was replaced.
I believe they said the glass was affixed to the unit and was non-replaceable. Had to be the whole unit replaced.

TravelTiger

Jim, I assume you replaced the cooktop?

Guess what happened, a double whammy. Glass plate from microwave flew out, hit cooktop, cracked it, and busted.

Should have known better!

TravelTiger

We used the burner that was not near the crack until ours was replaced.
I believe they said the glass was affixed to the unit and was non-replaceable. Had to be the whole unit replaced.

See question above, forgot to quote your post.

jbeletti

Erika - sorry to hear about your mishap. Wish you would have made the Vegas rally. Lippert made me padded bags to hold/store the microwave glass plate. Attendees seemed to like them. Hope they use them!

Yes, Terry H and I replaced it. Took 20 minutes.
  • Unplug cooktop from receptacle below it
  • Using monofilament line to cut through silicone that glues cooktop to countertop
  • Wish one person pushing up from below on the bottom of the cooktop, have another person carefully pry up on the glass top
  • Use a razor blade to clean off all the old silicone on the countertop
  • Put a thin bead of new clear silicone rubber around the cutout in the countertop
  • Carefully place new cooktop in place
  • Place a dish towel over the new cooktop and place some heavy books or similar on the top
  • Carefully cleanup silicone that may squeeze out of the joint
  • Allow silicone to cure a few hours before removing weight
  • Plug in and enjoy