Who really turns the water faucet off after every wash - Ariston Washer

Georgia_Biker

Hey folks!

I am in the middle of a washer install in my Big Horn. The directions for the Ariston washer recommends to turn the faucet off between washes.

My wife says I am crazy - who really does that?

Help ya'll

danemayer

Very likely no one turns off the water at the washer after using it. And even if the cutoffs were more accessible, I wouldn't use them - the ones we have look pretty fragile for repeated usage. I did add cutoff valves inside the raceway, but that's to enable isolation in the winter, and for emergency use.

Bogie

Well...probably very few people turn off the water supply to a washer when not in use. I have heard the same recommendation the manufacturer is quoting...that the water supply be turned off when not in use. In fact, there are single lever wall valves that turn off both hot and cold at the same time to make it easier.

If you operate as most people do and don't turn if off, you do risk a hose bursting. Is the risk high? Probably not. But, if you are not in the trailer and a hose blows, a lot of damage can be done in a very short time. It can happen.

Though in a home, not a trailer, I do know someone who had this happen. It made quite a mess. :(

Doublegranch

Mountain Region Director-Retired
While I will never put a washer in the Sundance, I do turn the washer water off after each use at the ranch. Had a buddy leave for 2 weeks from his Amarillo home...came back to water running out into the street...washer hose broke and flooded his home....His water bill was over a $1,000 not to mention his home had to be gutted...

I turn the water off ever since that experience was shared..

Georgia_Biker

While I will never put a washer in the Sundance, I do turn the washer water off after each use at the ranch. Had a buddy leave for 2 weeks from his Amarillo home...came back to water running out into the street...washer hose broke and flooded his home....His water bill was over a $1,000 not to mention his home had to be gutted...

I guess it's like trying to win the lottery - it's not likely to happen but, it does to somebody - That's the problem of the "RV World" we spend a lot of time, money, and energy trying to prevent the things that might happen. Oh well you have to have something to keep you busy with all of the idle time by not having a brick and mortar home and yard.

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
After that Sundance had the flood at the Tucson Rodeo Rally last year I now make it a habit of turning the water off outside at the spicket when we leave the Prowler for any length of time.

Better safe than sorry.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
I have a combo so I have easy access to the valves. I will cut them off before we travel, because most of the time on a shorter trip I won't be doing laundry. But when we are stationary at our home park, no I don't turn them off. I typically do laundry once a week, over 2 days.

Oh and we tried to use the fancy residential metal braided hoses, but they leaked at the fitting to the washer. So we put the Splendide hoses that came with the washer, and no leaks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
I have a combo so I have easy access to the valves. I will cut them off before we travel, because most of the time on a shorter trip I won't be doing laundry. But when we are stationary at our home park, no I don't turn them off. I typically do laundry once a week, over 2 days.

Oh and we tried to use the fancy residential metal braided hoses, but they leaked at the fitting to the washer. So we put the Splendide hoses that came with the washer, and no leaks!

I tried the Floodsaver hoses, as well, with the same result. At home, they worked on our old washer but not on our new HE washer. The force of the water when the machine demands water shut them down. Back to standard rubber hoses.

DebiMac

Garry...we always turn our water off while away also.

DickO

Not sure if this applies to RV machines, but our home machine has plastic valves. A few years ago the person taking care of our home failed to turn off the home supply completely and we had a flood. Come to find out the cold water valve because of the low water pressure filled the washer and overflowed. $8000.

Nabo

Southeast Region Director-Retired
I don't turn the supply line off at the washer machine when not in use. We do turn the water off at both the post supply line and a cut-off switch which we have installed in the UDC when we are going to be gone for more than 3-4 hours.

mlpeloquin

Installed a single lever facuet. Turns on and off easy with two fingers. You should always turn off the water pressure when not in use. The washer valves can and do fail and the hoses fail as well. If it is the hose, you will flood your rig in a minuets.

pegmikef

A slightly different note, but if we are leaving the house unattended for more that a day or two, I always turn the water main and H/W heater off. Had a friend whose ice maker line burst while they were on an extended trip and flooded the whole house.

porthole

Retired
We have shut off valves?

Seriously though, I have never shut them off.
When I remember and we leave the CG, I try and remember to shut the water off at the supply.

As for the house, anytime we go away for more then a day, I shut the water off in the basement.

Garypowell

We shut the water off to the washer after we are done with last load. Dan noted first the cheesy valves but I put my own in of the garden variety that has big paddle hand on it.

We try and remember to do the same to main supply when we leave the rig.....I have given some thought to making a remote switch to do this.

dieseldog

Guess I'm in the minority here haha. When I purchased my Splendid washer and dryer, I went to Lowes and purchased the quarter turn stainless shutoff valves. I shut the water supply off to the washer after finishing.