MOPEKA LP Gas Monitoring System - Make RV Life Simpler

BigGuy82

OK - we all know the water on the side of the tank trick or how to set the valves so that when one tank dies we can run outside on a cold rainy night and switch the valves over. We all know that pressure gauges are meaningless. What to do? Try something new, which is what the MOPEKA Untrasound sensor is. This setup accurately tells you how much propane is in each tank at any time by using ultrasound technology to measure the actual liquid level. I know it works because I installed it and while it's only been in a short time, it accurately read one full tank and the other that was a little less than 3/4 full. Anyone can install this thing, it uses bluetooth wireless and requires absolutely no wiring. It costs less than $100 on Amazon. You can use a SmartPhone app to monitor the level or, as I did, you can use the wireless monitor that fits easily with two small screws into your coach control panel. It works with 20, 30 or 40 LB tanks.

Installation:
  • calibrate the sensors to the receiving device (SmartPhone or monitor) - took all of two minutes - literally
  • remove the tanks from your coach and mark one tank 1 and the other tank 2 - doesn't matter which side they are on, as long as you know where the numbered tanks are
  • flip the tank over and install the magnetic sending unit to the bottom, squarely in the center. The better it's centered, the more accurate the reading
  • the sensor sticks out just a tiny bit from the bottom of the tank, but it's enough to crush it. To solve this, the manufacturer provides three hard plastic/rubber feet that slip over the bottom rim.
    • (I don't like these as I don't think they are robust enough. Instead, I went to Home Depot and got some white flat plastic strips that are about 3/16" thick and an inch wide. I made a square plastic frame that just fit inside the bottom angle iron mounting bracket for each tank. It is just large enought to fit inside the angle iron and they were easy to build with a little epoxy)
  • Put the tank back in the coach and hook it up
  • mount the monitor (if you use it instead of a SmartPhone) on the panel of your coach

Operation:
  • send a read command from your phone or a push button on the monitor. This sends a signal to the sensor on the requested tank, causing an unltrasound pulse to measure the liquid level which is then sent back to the monitor or phone
  • LED's for each tank (on the monitor - a graphics display on your phone) indicate the level

Cheap and easy to install. In my book, this is a little bit of technology that can't be beat. Reliability remains to be seen, but the manufacturer did tell me that the CR2032 batteries should last about a year, depending on environment. If you want to read a review and see a bunch of pictures, the February 2017 issue of Trailer Life covered the product on page 53. Here's the web page: www.mopeka.com .

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Hey BigGuy, glad they are working for you! We bought this last year. We did like you and built up the platform the tank so there is space underneath. After a few days the tanks read empty, on the phone and the wall mount. They are a real pain to troubleshoot, having to keep unhooking and lifting the tank in and out. We even replaced batteries this month, tried again, and still drops out.

They say they have a 3 year warranty, so I may contact them and see if I can get new sending units.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BigGuy82

Hey BigGuy, glad they are working for you! We bought this last year. We did like you and built up the platform the tank so there is space underneath. After a few days the tanks read empty, on the phone and the wall mount. They are a real pain to troubleshoot, having to keep unhooking and lifting the tank in and out. We even replaced batteries this month, tried again, and still drops out.

They say they have a 3 year warranty, so I may contact them and see if I can get new sending units.

Yeah, reliability remains to be seen. I noticed that these were formerly sold/made by AP Products and it's now Mopeka. Perhaps they've improved the design or maybe they had a bad batch.

Before buying, I checked as many reviews as I could find and they get overall high marks. They're only a hundred bucks so no big deal, but I love the convenience. So far, so good but time will tell.

TravelTiger

Yeah, reliability remains to be seen. I noticed that these were formerly sold/made by AP Products and it's now Mopeka. Perhaps they've improved the design or maybe they had a bad batch.

Before buying, I checked as many reviews as I could find and they get overall high marks. They're only a hundred bucks so no big deal, but I love the convenience. So far, so good but time will tell.

Mopeka is the manufacturer, AP Products is the distributor. Maybe AP is no longer distributing them for Mopeka? I bought mine from PPL, it came in an AP Products box, but the graphics all say Mopeka Tank Check.

Mburtsvt

The latest issue of Trailer Life has a positive review of the product. I got them from Amazon last week and are due next week. I just got two of the monitors and skipped the panel. I have an iPhone and will use that for the readout.

BigGuy82

The latest issue of Trailer Life has a positive review of the product. I got them from Amazon last week and are due next week. I just got two of the monitors and skipped the panel. I have an iPhone and will use that for the readout.

The only reason I bought the monitor is so that anyone can check it without using my phone. You can use both also.

BigGuy82

Don't know if this helps your situation or not, but I did discover something that may (or may not) apply to your situation. Maybe you already know this.

The wall gauge makes no accomodation for the size of the tank - if you've got 30 or 40 lb. tanks, you don't get accurate readings and you need to interpret the LED output. The phone app has a setting for the tank size - you can pick from 20, 30 or 40 lbs. - the pre-set is 20. Do you suppose this could be your issue? Maybe it's assuming the wrong size tank?

Click the ">" next to the appropriate tank, click the pencil icon in the upper right corner, then select the desired settings.

TravelTiger

Don't know if this helps your situation or not, but I did discover something that may (or may not) apply to your situation. Maybe you already know this.

The wall gauge makes no accomodation for the size of the tank - if you've got 30 or 40 lb. tanks, you don't get accurate readings and you need to interpret the LED output. The phone app has a setting for the tank size - you can pick from 20, 30 or 40 lbs. - the pre-set is 20. Do you suppose this could be your issue? Maybe it's assuming the wrong size tank?

Click the ">" next to the appropriate tank, click the pencil icon in the upper right corner, then select the desired settings.

Nope, we understand the settings. It's the sensor that won't stay connected to either of our phones -- we tried again today, put it on a full tank. It was reading correctly for about an hour, now reads empty.

Roller4tan

SO what happens when you go to fill the tank and the guy(or gal) plops your tank down on the scale. Without those chintzy pads, there goes the sensor. I suppose they could be removed and restuck, or maybe velcro.....:confused:

BigGuy82

SO what happens when you go to fill the tank and the guy(or gal) plops your tank down on the scale. Without those chintzy pads, there goes the sensor. I suppose they could be removed and restuck, or maybe velcro.....:confused:

Simple. You would assumedly have a 1/4"-3/8" thick plastic frame in the bottom bracket of the LP tank support in your fiver. Then, when you take the tank out, and before you put it on the ground, you just take the sensor off the tank. It's magnetic so it pops right off and re-attaches easily.

Nothing to it. Just make sure that when youi re-attach the sensor you have it centered in the tank bottom.

- - - Updated - - -

Nope, we understand the settings. It's the sensor that won't stay connected to either of our phones -- we tried again today, put it on a full tank. It was reading correctly for about an hour, now reads empty.

Bummer. Well, assuming that the batteries are still reading good, I'd bet that if you called the vendor, they would replace the sensors. It's probably unlikely that you're getting any signal blocking - my tanks are in a metal compartment and that doesn't seem to matter.

Since you mentioned this problem, I've been checking mine and the sensors do not disconnect, even when I walk away with my phone and come back later. It just picks them up without problem.

Please let me know how you make out in case I encounter this issue down the road.

Thanks

BigGuy82

Here is what I have used for several years now. http://shop.truma.net/retail/catalog/show/truma-level-check. Works great. Portable, so I can check the tanks of friends. $70.

Looks good. I selected this one so I could check the tank night or day without leaving the coach in the cold or rain. Also, it's easier for my wife to check - just hit the button and look at the LED's - especially helpful in campgrounds where there's a "drive around" LP service and the guy shows up when I'm not there.

Nice thing about yours is it works with aluminum tanks and it's portable, so you can use it for the barbecue at home, etc.

TravelTiger

Simple. You would assumedly have a 1/4"-3/8" thick plastic frame in the bottom bracket of the LP tank support in your fiver. Then, when you take the tank out, and before you put it on the ground, you just take the sensor off the tank. It's magnetic so it pops right off and re-attaches easily.

Nothing to it. Just make sure that when youi re-attach the sensor you have it centered in the tank bottom.

- - - Updated - - -

Bummer. Well, assuming that the batteries are still reading good, I'd bet that if you called the vendor, they would replace the sensors. It's probably unlikely that you're getting any signal blocking - my tanks are in a metal compartment and that doesn't seem to matter.

Since you mentioned this problem, I've been checking mine and the sensors do not disconnect, even when I walk away with my phone and come back later. It just picks them up without problem.

Please let me know how you make out in case I encounter this issue down the road.

Thanks

I have sent an email to their customer service. I found the receipt, bought 2-12-16.

One of the magnets on one of the sensors ripped out of the plastic sensor the very first time we attached/removed it, and I reglued with Gorilla glue. Well, when removing that sensor today, now both have come out.

Hoping they can just send a new one and I'll gladly return this one.

BTW, what phone are you connecting with? We are using iPhone 7 and 6+.

Upon edit, I realized it has to be a sensor issue because the in-the-rig unit also loses connection with them.

BigGuy82

I have sent an email to their customer service. I found the receipt, bought 2-12-16.

One of the magnets on one of the sensors ripped out of the plastic sensor the very first time we attached/removed it, and I reglued with Gorilla glue. Well, when removing that sensor today, now both have come out.

Hoping they can just send a new one and I'll gladly return this one.

BTW, what phone are you connecting with? We are using iPhone 7 and 6+.

Upon edit, I realized it has to be a sensor issue because the in-the-rig unit also loses connection with them.

iPhone 6+ - I can't afford to keep up with cell phone technology.

I've had the sensors off a few times now - three to be exact - and haven't had a problem with the magnets - yet.

TravelTiger

I really want this product to work, don't get me wrong! Since we like to take our rig skiing, knowing how much propane you have is critical. ;)

I'll try to reach out to Mopeka by phone as well and post back.

Erika

TravelTiger

Good news, today Mopeka emailed and asked for a shipping address. They will be sending me new sensors! Whoohoo!!

TravelTiger

Good news, the new sensors are working perfectly! We are very thrilled.

By the way, the company is based in New Braunfels, Tx, which I did not know. Glad to support a Texas based business!

mlpeloquin

I purchased them a few months back. It is sure nice to check the tank level from inside the RV. Did away with the spacers and installed one inch bar stock in the base of the tank stand. The spacers were a pain in the backside.