Having A Hard Time Reaching Your Hitch Locking Pin?

BigGuy82

I'm 6' tall and can't reach this locking pin on my hitch without a ladder. The ladder is OK, but I have to lean into the bed and I've had some close calls with slipping off of it in lousy weather. The solution? The Powerbuilt Tire Step.

ALL647596_5_tn.jpg

It slips over the tire and provides a solid, non-slip step. Adjsutable step height. It folds and stores in the bed easily and compactly. $39 at eTrailer - http://www.etrailer.com/Truck_Bed_Accessories/Powerbuilt/ALL647596.html

Oregon_Camper

I went with a permanently mounted step. All you have to do is pull it down with front of your shoe and when done, just push it back up out of the way. (image is from their web site...not my truck)

bestop_trekstep_retractable_side_mount_truck_bed_step_1.jpg

BigGuy82

I went with a permanently mounted step. All you have to do is pull it down with front of your shoe and when done, just push it back up out of the way. (image is from their web site...not my truck)

View attachment 49364

I looked at that and the step is excellent. The price, not so much plus I live in salt heaven - I didn't want a metal appendage that would just rust. The best solution I've seen yet is on the new 2017 Ford Super Cuty trucks - the running boards go all the way to the rear wheel (optional).

Shortest Straw

Caught In A Mosh
I looked at that and the step is excellent. The price, not so much plus I live in salt heaven - I didn't want a metal appendage that would just rust. The best solution I've seen yet is on the new 2017 Ford Super Cuty trucks - the running boards go all the way to the rear wheel (optional).

You are right those steps are pretty nice but they are not usable when you need to do motor stuff.

sengli

The ladder that slips over the tire is what I bought last year too. Its great to not only get to the stuff in the bed of the truck. But I can clean my windshield now without a ladder. Plus when I wash the truck, I use it to again get to the hood, and windshield to wash.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
No need to mount/dismount/store anything with the nerf bars I replaced the stock step rails with. The StepDaddy ladder on the tailgate makes getting into the bed (sans trailer) much less painful than smacking your shin on the edge of it.

Attachments

• Ready for use.jpg
    Ready for use.jpg
    240.3 KB · Views: 111
  • SSFE Nerf Bars 2.jpg
    SSFE Nerf Bars 2.jpg
    123.5 KB · Views: 116

BigGuy82

No need to mount/dismount/store anything with the nerf bars I replaced the stock step rails with. The StepDaddy ladder on the tailgate makes getting into the bed (sans trailer) much less painful than smacking your shin on the edge of it.

Those of us with Ford Super Duties have a built in step and handrail (optional):cool:

Oregon_Camper

That step is a nice way into the truck bed for sure. I have the integreated step from Ford....which I think is a great solution.

Now...you guys remember the jab Chevy took at Ford when Ford came out with this step. Kinda funny...but I think Ford wins in the long run, as having that step is nice on these old knees. :)

Here is a link to the video... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XK5TfBelfFg

BusManRG

I'm 6' tall and can't reach this locking pin on my hitch without a ladder. The ladder is OK, but I have to lean into the bed and I've had some close calls with slipping off of it in lousy weather. The solution? The Powerbuilt Tire Step.

View attachment 49363

It slips over the tire and provides a solid, non-slip step. Adjsutable step height. It folds and stores in the bed easily and compactly. $39 at eTrailer - http://www.etrailer.com/Truck_Bed_Accessories/Powerbuilt/ALL647596.html
I bought one for Rich and now he wouldn't be without it. I got ours at Pep Boys. It was about the same price and definitely less than what I found on Amazon, which is unusual.

Sandy

BigGuy82

I went to an Anderson Ultimate hitch and don't have to get to the ball at all.

BUT, you need safety chains, teflon tape to compensate for some sort of .020 gap and you risk your Heartland warranty. How do you hook up those chains without reaching into the bed?

All a matter of preferences ...

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired

We have the running boards that go to the kickout like John's. I'm the one reaching in to pin the B&W. the handle's not the problem, it's getting to that pin on the chain! I'm a tall gal at 5'8" and I need about 2 more inches in reach...... but I love our hitch and our running boards!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kbvols

IMG_0178.JPG

Here is what I use 5 or 6 bucks at Wally World. Works great! And is inexpensive.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Lynn1130

BUT, you need safety chains, teflon tape to compensate for some sort of .020 gap and you risk your Heartland warranty. How do you hook up those chains without reaching into the bed?

All a matter of preferences ...

I am out of warranty. I have chains and either reach from the rear or hook them to the hitch prior to hooking up and then fasten to the pinbox. What .020 gap?

BigGuy82

I am out of warranty. I have chains and either reach from the rear or hook them to the hitch prior to hooking up and then fasten to the pinbox. What .020 gap?

I was reading a recent thread about the merits of the Anderson because I'll be upgrading my RV to a toy hauler in 6 mo. or so and wanted to consider all the options. Here's the post from a recent Anderson related thread:

Originally Posted by Garypowell
To 212pilot.

Can you share how they told you to shim the ball for a better fit?

The folks at Anderson recommended using teflon tape or similar to shim the ball here it fits into the hitch. I used aluminum duct sealing tape because I had some on hand. One wrap was enough to take up the slack which was about .0020".

A tape shim (or any kind of shim) on a device pulling a 15K trailer? OK - just not my choice.

I did do more research outside of this forum on the merits of ball hitches on fivers vs. using a traditional fifth wheel hitch. Regarding ride quality, it would be hard to beat the ride I get with a Flex Air pinbox and Air Lifts. The connection with the traditional fiver hitch, I believe, is stronger (which may not matter much if you don't have an accident). This connection type is used on semi's is because it is stronger - if a ball design was more robust, the industry would have adopted it. In particular, the locking mechanism that holds the trailer to the ball is not as robust as the jaw locking mechanism on a standard hitch, so it doesn't resist abnormal vertical movement well. This is probably also the reason that most (all?) states require safety chains with any type of ball hitch - because under certain circumstances it is more likely to disconnect.

I'm aware of the advantages of the Anderson - lightweight, easier hookup, ability to hook up off axis, smooth ride, less expensive (at least less than a standard fiver hitch with a custom pinbox). Just not my cup of tea for the reasons mentioned above AND because I'm still in warranty.

Doublegranch

Mountain Region Director-Retired
I just spoke to Archie at the Anderson plant and the teflon tape is only to be used on the taper end of the goose ball "Never on the Head"....The taper end fits into the Anderson frame and may have a slight wiggle, there has never been a problem with this, but if you want to stop the wiggle or any noise, then teflon tape is placed on the taper end and slide into the frame and pinned.

Hope this helps clarify where to use the tape and again it is NEVER ON THE BALL HEAD...

Lynn1130

That's funny because I just got off the phone with "Tiger" at Anderson and he had never heard of using tape on anything and said that that was nothing that they would recommend for ball fitting. He said that if the ball did not fit correctly they need it back to correct it.

And just as an after thought. Over all of the years of working accidents I don't recall a ball hitched trailer coming off of the ball. They usually flipped the tow vehicle when they went over.

Doublegranch

Mountain Region Director-Retired
Archie is the guy in charge of the plant and production....perhaps the other guy is in sales or???

Archie said they have tight tolerances and test everything before they are sent out but with aluminum it can swell when heated up and hence a little play will come into consideration when manufacturing the parts.
Again, he said it has never been an issue....not sure how you would know if you have wiggle except when the rig is not hooked up....going down the road it is so minute, how would you know???