Service plug

Bigbovine

Didn't know how else to put this, so here goes. I was at Camping World looking for Surge protection and other things. Asking for some guidance, the person asked if I had 30 or 50 amp service. I said I had 30 and even showed him on the web sight where my new TT was 30 amp. As we are looking at things I told him I may be incorrect. I had my wife send a picture of the outlet. It's actually 50 amp service.
So why does literature say it is 30 amps? I even looked at other Mallards on the lot and they were 30 amps. Why do I even have 50 amp service when I only have one AC unit?
Thanks for any help.

danemayer

Hi Bigbovine,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum. There's lots of useful information here along with a great bunch of friendly and helpful people.

You're right that 50 amp service is usually found on trailers that have the option for a 2nd air conditioner. But having 50 amp service will also allow you to run more appliances at the same time. So on a warm morning, you might be running the air conditioner, microwave, coffee pot, electric water heater, and TV all at the same. If you had 30 amp service, you'd have to manage total usage. With 50 amp, you can do it all.

Why does your trailer have it? Camping World tells Heartland what features they want on Mallard. They must have thought 50 amp service was worth having.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Other than the shore line cord, including the cable to the breaker panel, and the main breaker in the rig, there wouldn't be a whole lot of physical difference between a 30A and a 50A set up. As Dan said, having 50A would allow you to use more appliances at the same time. That's until the wife turns on her jet turbine hair dryer in the bedroom and pops breakers.:rolleyes:

Gaffer

50 amps is a good thing. You can run more of the following at the same time: Water heater, AC, Fridge, coffee pot, hair dryer, toaster etc.

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
As Dan said, having 50A would allow you to use more appliances at the same time.

That's until the wife turns on her jet turbine hair dryer in the bedroom and pops breakers.:rolleyes:

You mean . . . like this one :confused:

SpaceballsHairDryer.jpg

"What is THIS?????"

"That's my hair dryer . . . AND I CAN'T LIVE WITHOUT IT!!!!!"

Chopperno1

Didn't know how else to put this, so here goes. I was at Camping World looking for Surge protection and other things. Asking for some guidance, the person asked if I had 30 or 50 amp service. I said I had 30 and even showed him on the web sight where my new TT was 30 amp. As we are looking at things I told him I may be incorrect. I had my wife send a picture of the outlet. It's actually 50 amp service.
So why does literature say it is 30 amps? I even looked at other Mallards on the lot and they were 30 amps. Why do I even have 50 amp service when I only have one AC unit?
Thanks for any help.

Which model Mallard do you have? Please post a picture of the plug.

Bigbovine

I did a look around at the Dealer and found no other Mallards with a 50 Amp service. I plan on wiring up a box at home, and when I do I will test and see what runs on each leg. Seems to be a blessing in disguise. By the way it is a 2017 M302 rear kitchen.
IMG_3112.jpg
IMG_3068.jpg

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
I'm guessing that if you have 50 amp service in the Mallard that it is probably prepped for a second AC unit.

Bigbovine

Thing is, I would have had them put another A/C unit in a couple of weeks ago when I bought it had I known. Wife would really have loved that! By the way, if she sees that hairdryer, I will be forced to buy one! Please remove it!
wink.png

G54FL

I did a look around at the Dealer and found no other Mallards with a 50 Amp service. I plan on wiring up a box at home, and when I do I will test and see what runs on each leg. Seems to be a blessing in disguise. By the way it is a 2017 M302 rear kitchen.
View attachment 49431
View attachment 49432

I saw the exact same thing at a CW yesterday. 30 amp receptacle, but the sticker, and box states 50amp. I called Heartland last week, and tried to get a straight answer - after being put on hold, the guy told me, in an uncertain manner that anything built from Jan 2, 2017 on where the model number starts with a "3", it is 50 amp. He couldn't answer the 2nd AC unit prewiring - I also would like to know this, as I'm looking at an M32, and being in FL, I'm worried that a single unit may not be enough. Also - does anyone know if the AC unit standard is a 13.5K or 15K...another thing I couldn't get a straight answer on??

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
I saw the exact same thing at a CW yesterday. 30 amp receptacle, but the sticker, and box states 50amp. I called Heartland last week, and tried to get a straight answer - after being put on hold, the guy told me, in an uncertain manner that anything built from Jan 2, 2017 on where the model number starts with a "3", it is 50 amp. He couldn't answer the 2nd AC unit prewiring - I also would like to know this, as I'm looking at an M32, and being in FL, I'm worried that a single unit may not be enough. Also - does anyone know if the AC unit standard is a 13.5K or 15K...another thing I couldn't get a straight answer on??

Maybe if you could locate the VIN of a particular unit you are looking at (maybe on dealer's website?) then call Heartland, they can tell you what was installed on that unit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

danemayer

Here's a picture of a Marinco 50 amp shore power cord with a twist-lock connector. Looks like it might just plug into the receptacle that you're calling 30 amp.

Marinco 50 amp.jpg

You can also go inside and look at the circuit breaker panel. A 50 amp trailer has two 50 amp breakers tied together.

As for whether it's pre-wired for a 2nd A/C unit, see if there's a 2nd breaker for A/C.

G54FL

Here's a picture of a Marinco 50 amp shore power cord with a twist-lock connector. Looks like it might just plug into the receptacle that you're calling 30 amp.

View attachment 50584

You can also go inside and look at the circuit breaker panel. A 50 amp trailer has two 50 amp breakers tied together.

As for whether it's pre-wired for a 2nd A/C unit, see if there's a 2nd breaker for A/C.

That is really helpful. Thank you!

klp605

If the M32 has 50 AMP service, there is a prewire for a 2nd a/c in the bunk house. The new standard for the primary a/c is 15k. 50 amp service and 15k became standard during production on 2017 sometime during the year (couldn't get exact manufacturer date of change). The info is not consistent between the Heartland website, brochures and CW descriptions.

There were 2 m32 on CW lot manufactured 45 days apart. 1 had 50 amp, 15k and 2nd pre-wire.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

SNOKING

With 50 AMP service it is VERY important to have a surge protector that will sense a loss on neutral and shutoff service, or you fry all your AC items if you loose neutral.

Chris

G54FL

If the M32 has 50 AMP service, there is a prewire for a 2nd a/c in the bunk house. The new standard for the primary a/c is 15k. 50 amp service and 15k became standard during production on 2017 sometime during the year (couldn't get exact manufacturer date of change). The info is not consistent between the Heartland website, brochures and CW descriptions.

There were 2 m32 on CW lot manufactured 45 days apart. 1 had 50 amp, 15k and 2nd pre-wire.

That's great news!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

klp605

With 50 AMP service it is VERY important to have a surge protector that will sense a loss on neutral and shutoff service, or you fry all your AC items if you loose neutral.

Chris
Thanks! I plan on a Progressive EMS. I'm waiting to see how accessible it is to put in a hard wired unit or if we need to go portable.

Cyfans4

This is interesting - I have a 2017 model built in 2016. Interesting part is that mine looks like its 50A, but states 30 as well. I'll have to check the breaker box as indicated. I'd add a 2nd AC in a second if its prewired for it.

I have the same thing on my IDM312. The salesman and even the technician told me it was 30 amp but when I went to plug the trailer in with my 30amp adapter low and behold it was a different plug and the power cord was huge! After some further investigation sure enough it's a 50 amp. Bonus I guess!

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

NH-Duck

Thanks! I plan on a Progressive EMS. I'm waiting to see how accessible it is to put in a hard wired unit or if we need to go portable.

I recently installed a Progressive EMS on my new M33 and access was not a problem.If the M32 is the same,just remove the screws holding in the load-center,slide it out and there is plenty of room to mount the EMS.I found it helped to buy a 3 foot piece of wires o you don't have to cut the existing one. Gives you a little more slack to work with.