Kitch-iti-kipi

uncledon

Her chauffeur
Last summer the wife and I took a "sib trip" with my brother, sisters, and spouses out to the Black Hills in SD. We only made (3) reservations to cover weekends (there were two ), and our stay in Custer where reservations are really a recommendation if you don't want surprises. Partly to reduce costs, and just to see how easy it would be, we purposely stayed in city/municipal CG's. Because I was the trip/route planner I chose "end of day" locations and spotted at least (3) campgrounds within 30 or so miles of each other wherever possible. We were also not making the trip over any holiday weekends, so never ran into a situation where we couldn't just drive right in to even the smallest city campground and find suitable sights. Most times we were right next/across from each other in our two fivers. We also didn't run into any issues with lengths/widths. All campgrounds had a minimum of 30A electric, and some had water too. All had a dump station. It really is an economical way to go, and you have the added convenience of a small town with some great eatery's and fun to walk around in.

One of our earliest stops was at a "must see" little spot in MI upper peninsula along route 2 near Manistique. Although we didn't camp at Indian Lake SP on this trip I have stayed and it is a great CG on a beautiful lake. Here's a link to Indian Lake:

http://www.michigandnr.com/parksandtrails/Details.aspx?id=420&type=SPRK

https://cityofmanistique.org/big-springs-kitch-iti-kipi/

You do need to have or purchase the MI passport to enter so be aware of the added cost for both Indian Lake and Kitch-iti-kipi as both are run by the state now. The parking area at Kitch-iti-kipi can become full so if you are towing your rig, timing might be a consideration. Well worth the time to stop for sure!

Attachments

• 101_4292.jpg
    101_4292.jpg
    199.9 KB · Views: 51
  • 101_4285.jpg
    101_4285.jpg
    195.9 KB · Views: 52
  • 101_4294.jpg
    101_4294.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 44

Mattman

This is an awesome place to stop! Been there several times. I made it by snowmobile before as well. Not froze over and still fish.