What should I look for?

OldSlowHans

CinC of Everything Else
I'm considering purchase of a 2011 Big Country 3510RL available in a nearby city. Researching the brochures, videos, etc., it looks like a good rig for us (Arizona "snowbirds" from Minnesota).

I haven't yet seen the unit, just dealers photos.

When I go to see the unit, are there any owners here with experience with that model? Any "known issues" to watch for?

Comments on build quality and your experiences solicited.

Thanks!

jimtoo

Hi OldSlowHans,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum and hopefully to the family. We have a great bunch of folks here with lots of information and all willing to share their knowledge when needed.

I'm sure some of our folks that have that unit will jump in soon with some info for you.

Enjoy the forum.

Jim M

danemayer

Hi OldSlowHans,

These are general comments about any trailer.

When you check out the rig in person, keep in mind it was probably built at least 6 years ago.

Maintenance of caulking is key so you should very carefully examine the rig. If it wasn't maintained on a timely basis, there could be areas that have had water intrusion. Check around windows and slides and under the slides.

Also take a close look at the suspension components and tires. Shackle links that show elongated holes need to be replaced. If the tires are Towmax, or any brand with a manufacture date greater than 3 years ago, you should plan on getting new tires. And unless there are maintenance records, you should plan on getting the bearings inspected and repacked.

OldSlowHans

CinC of Everything Else
Hi OldSlowHans,

These are general comments about any trailer.

When you check out the rig in person, keep in mind it was probably built at least 6 years ago.

Maintenance of caulking is key so you should very carefully examine the rig. If it wasn't maintained on a timely basis, there could be areas that have had water intrusion. Check around windows and slides and under the slides.

Also take a close look at the suspension components and tires. Shackle links that show elongated holes need to be replaced. If the tires are Towmax, or any brand with a manufacture date greater than 3 years ago, you should plan on getting new tires. And unless there are maintenance records, you should plan on getting the bearings inspected and repacked.

Good info, for sure, Dan.

I've had fifth wheel rigs for about 15 years, and agree that your points are right on the mark.

I'm looking not so much for generic advice, but more for experience with this brand/model.

Hans

OldSlowHans

CinC of Everything Else
Well, we're no longer "prospective" owners --- just regular old owners. Made a deal today, a REALLY good deal I think. The rig (a 2011 3510RL) seems essentially brand new. Very, very clean. No sign of wear ANYWHERE!

Pick it up Wednesday (they're doing a full pre-delivery workup Tuesday and Wednesday morning, as if it were a new rig), then a PDI with us Wednesday afternoon.

Only real sign of "use" we could find (and we looked HARD) was that the previous owner narrowed the bed from king down to queen size, which actually is a good deal for us, because we have a very expensive queen mattress in our old rig which we will move over.

jimtoo

Well, we're no longer "prospective" owners --- just regular old owners. Made a deal today, a REALLY good deal I think. The rig (a 2011 3510RL) seems essentially brand new. Very, very clean. No sign of wear ANYWHERE!

Pick it up Wednesday (they're doing a full pre-delivery workup Tuesday and Wednesday morning, as if it were a new rig), then a PDI with us Wednesday afternoon.

Only real sign of "use" we could find (and we looked HARD) was that the previous owner narrowed the bed from king down to queen size, which actually is a good deal for us, because we have a very expensive queen mattress in our old rig which we will move over.

Hi again OldSlowHans,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum and now to the family.

Now be sure and check out our Heartland Owners Club. Join us at a rally when you can and meet lots of the great folks here and make friends for a lifetime.

Enjoy the forum and your new to you unit.

Jim M