Solar Panels

jleavitt11

retired Utah Chapter Leaders
I just purchased a 2017 4250. I was hoping to find someone that hs mounted a rooftop solar panel to get some ideas on whice panel you used and how the process went.

TIA

Appleguy

Last August I installed 2-320 watt panels and a Morningstar 60 amp mppt controller. Haven't been plugged in since and batteries (4 Costco 6 volts) are always charged. Set controller to 15.2 amps. Solar is amazing but not inexpensive.

Oregon_Camper

I installed four of Uni-Solar PVL-136 panels. They peel off and then stick to your roof...you can walk on them with no risk of damage. We went 21 days straight in the summer with no hookup's and had 100% battery power every day. Love solar power!!!

31qdPOusPZL._AC_UL320_SR292,320_.jpg

asherwin

My initial solar install was two 100W GP Solar Flex panels connected through a 30A controller to four 12V batteries. Subsequently added two 100W Renogy panels. Changed out the Norcold refer for a 19 Cu ft Samsung which along with a few 110V outlets and the living room tv can be powered through a 2000W invertor via an additional transfer switch when needed.

Attachments

• DSCN6963.jpg
    DSCN6963.jpg
    100.1 KB · Views: 150

jrzygrl64

We have 7 - 160 watt panels up on our roof, 6 Lifeline AGM deep cycle batteries with a total storage of 660 amp hours, Magnum 2800 watt Pure Sine Inverter w/remote display, Tristar MPPT solar charge controller w/remote display.
We've gone 3 weeks at a time without a pedestal or starting a gennie - love our set-up!

Silverado23

Iowa Chapter Leaders
9 - 85 watt panels
attached with butyl rubber adhesive that is EPDM compatible.
Sealed edges with Dicor

Morningstar tristar MPPT 60 charge controller.
Midnight Solar Combiner/circuit breaker box

3-12V group 31 deep cycle batteries (Walmart everstart maxx/ Interstate batteries, Yes mixed brands, similar age and nearly identical exterior case and weight)

Converted a storage container to a battery box. Fit 3 batteries perfectly.
https://www.farmandfleet.com/products/866341-homz-durabilt-15-gallon-camo-storage-tote.html

solarpanels9.jpg

Silverado23

Iowa Chapter Leaders
I only need the panels to charge the batteries. Is 100 watts enough?

Thanks

Depends on what your load is.

My RV without anything turned on uses around 200 watts per day. That basically is the amount of power the LP/CO detector uses and any other standby draw that may be when everything is shutdown.

depending on angle of sun, shade, cloudy day performance, how big your battery bank is, time of year, 100 watt may not be enough to keep fully charged batteries topped off.

saira10

9 - 85 watt panels
attached with butyl rubber adhesive that is EPDM compatible.
Sealed edges with Dicor

Morningstar tristar MPPT 60 charge controller.
Midnight top solar energy solutions Combiner/circuit breaker box

3-12V group 31 deep cycle batteries (Walmart everstart maxx/ Interstate batteries, Yes mixed brands, similar age and nearly identical exterior case and weight)

Converted a storage container to a battery box. Fit 3 batteries perfectly.
https://www.farmandfleet.com/products/866341-homz-durabilt-15-gallon-camo-storage-tote.html

View attachment 49474

HI
I just purchased a 2017 4250. I was hoping to find someone that has mounted a rooftop solar panel.

Johndev

I have a new 2017 Mallard M312 and it is solar ready. I am looking for a solar panel that can keep the battery charged when not in use. Dos anyone have a brand or type they think is best?

danemayer

I have a new 2017 Mallard M312 and it is solar ready. I am looking for a solar panel that can keep the battery charged when not in use. Dos anyone have a brand or type they think is best?
Hi Johndev,

Congratulations on the new Mallard and welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum. We've got a great bunch of friendly and helpful people here, so I'm sure you'll get some feedback shortly.

Oregon_Camper

Do you store your RV at home or away from home?

A simple 100w portable solar panel would be fine for keeping batteries charged while stored at your house....meaning it is really only "tending" the batteries.

If away from the house, a 100w version, mounted to the roof would be plenty.

Now...if you want to use the solar to keep up with usage WHILE camping, that is a different solution.

Oregon_Camper

Yes, I would like to use the solar to keep up with usage when camping. If possible.

Thanks
John
Do you typically camp in open area or wooded area? This will help me understand if you need to wire panels in series or parallel.

What are you thinking for a budget? You can quickly get up to a few thousand dollars, depending on what you want.

Are you thinking you might want to then use this power to create 120 for the RV? That is another topic... But I can help there too as I JUST finished doing that.

Here are my panels...just washed them and the roof yesterday.
e41372976d41a989f0c22d27e3b1b937.jpg

Johndev

No, I am thinking just a panel I can put out front of the RV I can plug in and let charge the battery. I like what you have done and perhaps one day I will get to that.

Thanks
John

Do you typically camp in open area or wooded area? This will help me understand if you need to wire panels in series or parallel.

What are you thinking for a budget? You can quickly get up to a few thousand dollars, depending on what you want.

Are you thinking you might want to then use this power to create 120 for the RV? That is another topic... But I can help there too as I JUST finished doing that.

Here are my panels...just washed them and the roof yesterday.
e41372976d41a989f0c22d27e3b1b937.jpg

Desertsky

100w solar panels generally will deliver about 85w reliably since you will never have them directly aimed at the sun on a completely clear day for more than an hour or two. Using an MPPT charge controller will take the excess voltage and convert it to charging current whereas other types just waste the excess. I have two 100w Renogy panels on the top of my North Trail mainly for charge backup when no shore power is available and running the generator isn't practical. This keeps the batteries at full when not using anything and can keep up with light use of all the 12v stuff. Make sure you replace all the incandescent lights with good LED bulbs!

WyoCyclone

I recommend any of the GoPower set ups as that may be what your Mallard is set up for. I have the 120W GoPower unit and if you were just keeping up with normal usage, not a residential fridge, I think you'll be be fine.

Dennyha

If you add solar panels to your roof, I recommend a junction box on the roof. A heavy gauge wire connects the bus bars in the junction box to the solar controller (separated by a circuit breaker). You can then easily add panels in the future, by connecting them to the bus bars in the junction box, if you feel you need more solar watts, or if your needs change in the future. All wiring from the roof line down should never need to change if the project is planned right from the start.

LBR

If you add solar panels to your roof, I recommend a junction box on the roof. A heavy gauge wire connects the bus bars in the junction box to the solar controller (separated by a circuit breaker). You can then easily add panels in the future, by connecting them to the bus bars in the junction box, if you feel you need more solar watts, or if your needs change in the future. All wiring from the roof line down should never need to change if the project is planned right from the start.
^^ Gospel advice ^^