michelin xps ribs

markandrenita

We have 235 80 r16 original factory tires on our bighorn 2008 3400rl.
Can we replace these with Michelin 235 85 r16s? These are on the factory aluminum rims.

Clear skies,

Mark and Renita

geeksrus

I have the same rig & did the exact same tire change, last December. No problem with clearance, etc.

I did have to get new space wedges for my RotoChoks.

EH!

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Mark & Rita, the tires will fit but if you are changing to a higher load range G, make sure your wheels are rated for the higher load range tires as well. 110 psi.

tstammer

tstammer
XPS Ribs

I have a 2006 2925RK and went with the same size. I have had no problems to date, you will need to purchase a spare also since the are 1" higher in height.

markandrenita

Thanks so much for responding. The tires are e rated, not g rated so they should be ok. Now to find a place that will sell them and mount them correctly, always a challenge in WyomingNone

Clear skies,

Mark and Renita

Paul & Nan

Heres a tip, when changing trailer tires "have them balanced". Trailer Life had mention of this last month. I often wundered why they didnt balance trailer tires. Its worth doing. Had our KENDA bombs swaped out for goodyear G614 RST. 110 psi and balanced. Its worth doing...bighorn 3500RL
Paul & nan, 2003 2500HD duramax w/allison 5 spd. Love it. P.S. rims (wheels) must be capable of handling larger tires and increased pressure.

Gary F

Also make sure the correct replacement valve stems are utilized. Surprisingly i hear and see this issue quit often.. The "young" tire tech installs a regular passenger car valve stem rated much lower then what is needed. Stems look the same but the lower pressure one will blow-out under 80 - 110 psi.

Metal bolt in stems are preferred but with aluminum wheels, may be impossible.

pmmjarrett

Not just tired..... RETIRED!!!
High pressure metal valve stems are available for aluminum wheels and easy to get. Semi truck aluminum wheels use them.

kakampers

Past Heartland Ambassador
You won't be sorry with those XPS Ribs...sure wish we could use them...or Michelin would start making a G rated tire...

vangoes

With the Michelin's only being rated at 3,000 lbs. I am concerned that with our rigs requiring E rated tires puts these tires at their limits. There is no margin if we assume our units are loaded with weights equally distributed and within the rated capacities. I am considering replacing my tires soon.......should I be concerned that the Michelin E tires have less capacity than other E rated tires?