Airbags for the truck: Air Lift vs Firestone

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Air Lift vs Firestone, which did you choose, and why?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JWalker

Northeast Region Director-Retired
AirLift.
Heard the customer service was excellent. Though, never needed to use. Was able to install a complete "manual fill" kit for less than $260. This kit fit my needs and budget. If I was towing all the time, the auto fill would be good but manually filling the bags a few times doesn't bother me at all. Quite easy.

brianlajoie

I went with the Air Lift Load Lifter 5000 ultimate. I wanted the internal jounce just in case the air bag failed.

I started with manual fill, but upgraded six months later because I installed some Hadley air horns and only needed the controller to complete the mod.

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

Erika I went with Air Lift for a few reasons.
Les schwab (A major tire shop out her) installs a lot of air bag systems in a lot of trucks. My guy said they like the Air Lift compressor and remote kit better then the Firestone system. As for the bags both are very good, you can't go wrong with either one. Firestone did not have the bag kit for the 2017 Ford F 350 ready yet. So I went Air/Lift I'm very happy with the system.

Lou_and_Bette

Erica, I have the Air Lift "Freedom Air" system and love the convenience of dropping the rig on the hitch and letting system do its thing. Only negative would be I have to turn truck off before lowering the front legs because once the weight is off the system it wants to blow the air off and would put the pin in a bind. Otherwise, wouldn't have any other system.

farside291

Air lift for me, cost and availability on Amazon, it was the first one I looked at. Will go with Air Lift with the internal jounce bumper again. Ordered the Tee so I can inflate both bags at the same time. If I had different weights in the front of the camper I would have stayed with the individual air fittings for each bag. Would like to have the auto level system but a little pricey. I did have a rubbing issue with the right hand bag and it wore a groove in the bag, I contacted Air Lift and they gave me the part number for a replacement bag but wouldn't give up a new bag even though the bags were not 30 days old. Replacement bags are $79.00 each.

TravelTiger

Sorry I didn't do a search first guys! My bad. Thanks for the input. I spoke to a hitch place at the RV show. He said they install both but prefer Firestone, and gave a few reasons. But I wanted to get user feedback.

jassson007

Founding Louisiana Chapter Leaders-Retired
I went with Firestone as that is what my guy did. I have on board compressor with gauge and switch in the cab. Only issue I have had is when installed a tech ran an air line too close to exhaust and melted it couple months later. Fixed for no charge.

TxRoadWarrior362

I'm looking at the Air Ride website at air springs for the rear of my 2012 F-350, 4x4, crew cab, srw, diesel, long bed Lariet. I have a Reese 20k Pro hitch. I'm looking at the Load Lifter 5000 Ultimate bags. How can I tell if my hitch is "chassis and cab" or "side mount" or other?

Fits single rear wheel (SRW) and dual rear wheel (DRW) models. Will fit ALL models without a fifth-wheel hitch and will also fit most side mount fifth wheel hitch applications. Does not fit cab & chassis applications.

BigGuy82

Air Lift vs Firestone, which did you choose, and why?

Air Lift. Good reputation and recommended by Thruway Spring- a major truck shop in this area.

Work fine - no problems.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

LBR

Our truck has had the Firestone bags and compressor on for 13 years so far and work like day one. This system has proven itself tough as the truck has no rear springs at all, just the 2 bags and 2 shocks.

porthole

Retired
Erica, I have the Air Lift "Freedom Air" system and love the convenience of dropping the rig on the hitch and letting system do its thing. Only negative would be I have to turn truck off before lowering the front legs because once the weight is off the system it wants to blow the air off and would put the pin in a bind. Otherwise, wouldn't have any other system.

Lou, what is "Freedom Air" and what is it doing that you have to turn it off when un-hooking?

coltsdad

Texas-North Chapter Leaders-Retired
Erica get them ordered and Tony and I can put them on the weekend at the rally.

TravelTiger

Erica get them ordered and Tony and I can put them on the weekend at the rally.

Oh wow, what a generous offer!

I talked to a company that installs them at the RV show. Told him our weights and showed him a pic of the trailer on the truck. He said we probably didn't need them, truck looked pretty level to him. Thought that was pretty honest of him. He was suggesting Firestone, but they installed both Air Lift and Firestone. He said Air Lift hoses are proprietary, so if you have a hose problem you have to get one from them.

We just had to spend a pretty penny on truck repair (a wiring issue) so we are not in the market for airbags at this time.

I like the discussion here, though! Good info.

mlpeloquin

Oh wow, what a generous offer!

I talked to a company that installs them at the RV show. Told him our weights and showed him a pic of the trailer on the truck. He said we probably didn't need them, truck looked pretty level to him. Thought that was pretty honest of him. He was suggesting Firestone, but they installed both Air Lift and Firestone. He said Air Lift hoses are proprietary, so if you have a hose problem you have to get one from them.

We just had to spend a pretty penny on truck repair (a wiring issue) so we are not in the market for airbags at this time.

I like the discussion here, though! Good info.

Look at your springs and especially your over load spring on top. Does the distance of the over load springs lesson or do they even touch the standard springs wit the weight of the fifth wheel? If so, I would get the air bags and really level the truck. I inflate mine so that the clearance distance of the over load springs is that same with the fifth wheel as without it. I measured the distance with a caliper so I know it is the same. My over load springs almost touched the standard springs. Just looking at the side of the truck isn't enough. The ride over potholes and bumps is greatly improved and thus your fatigue. Driving with your headlight leveled properly will not blind oncoming traffic. It is a safety issue if you drive at night at all. So if the distance lessons, this would be a good thing to add to your to do list in the future. They are not hard to install. I did mine myself.

porthole

Retired
He said Air Lift hoses are proprietary,

1/8",1/4", 3/8" 1/2" Red and black are typical colors.
All standard hose sizes. All the push to connects are the same sizes on hose ends or the pipe thread size. Meaning 1/8",1/4", 3/8" 1/2" hose diameter on the PTC (push to connect) side or 1/8",1/4", 3/8" 1/2" national pipe thread (NPT) on the opposite side. And you can get most combinations, e.g. 1/4" hose PTC with a 1/2" NPT male thread.

Nothing proprietary about the hose.