In line water filter

Shortest Straw

Caught In A Mosh
I am getting ready to rebuild my basement wall. When I do this I also want to mount our water filter permanently behind the UDC. I know this has been done but I cannot find any of the parts needed to plumb it in permanently. If someone had done this and is willing to give me a parts list I would appreciate it. Even a link would be nice.

Apropdoc

Utah Chapter Leaders-retired
I am getting ready to rebuild my basement wall. When I do this I also want to mount our water filter permanently behind the UDC. I know this has been done but I cannot find any of the parts needed to plumb it in permanently. If someone had done this and is willing to give me a parts list I would appreciate it. Even a link would be nice.

I can't really mount one in my TT, but I made a portable set up with the Whir.lpool Filter assy (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00M3TH32O/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s02?ie=UTF8&psc=1) and the filter (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004IABXZ4/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1) from Amazon. How you mount is up to you and you would need to get the pex / sharkbite fittings to tie in from your local hardware store of your favorite flavor. This works great for me and it is the best filter for this unit you can get.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Try RV Water Filter Store. They have all the parts and filters you might want. Prices are competitive. I would suggest that you make all the connections with Quick Connects so you can remove it for servicing.

My 2-filter system sits outside in a large covered tote. Plenty of room left for storing hoses and accessories.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Shortest Straw

Caught In A Mosh
What I was hoping for was maybe a parts list of sorts to do this task. For instance what do I need to go from Pex to garden hose sized attachment? I do not like a cluttered outside so making a tub for it is not an option for me.

jbeletti

Hi Mike,

Though you may not have a traditional UDC, you should still have access to the backside of the city water inlet. Likely from the area behind an access wall, back where your furnace, water pump and water heater may all be - though I admit I am unfamiliar with the utility configuration of your brand and layout.

So, if you do have access to the backside of the city water inlet, it likely has 1/2" male NPT threads with a piece of vinyl hose or PEX hose connected to it. If it were me, I'd want to grab the water there and run through my filtration system, then return the output of my system back to the line that was connected to the inlet and feeds the coach.

I'm doubtful there is any GHT (garden hose thread) connections in the coach - just on the outside for city water in and perhaps black tank flush. Most all you'll be dealing with is 1/2" NPT in male and female.

In my current coach, I created a wooden frame to mount my filtration (and RO) system on, then I screwed that frame to the floor. Once in place, I plumbed it in as I described above. Here's a link to that system.

I tried to use as much all-plastic connectors as I could, but I found them to be not as well constructed as the mostly-brass Sharkbite (and similar) brand connectors. Going forward, I will be favoring less all-plastic connectors.

Over the years, in 7 coaches, I have used various filter types and configurations. I feel that purchasing a multi-stage filtration system from RV Water Filter Store or similar is a great route to go. Rick (or his fulfillment people) will configure the system to your specifications, right down to the connector types and sizes you want. The filter cartridge pricing is decent too. But there are other online sources for all of this stuff.

Wishing you the best!

NYSUPstater

Funny this thread popped up as I asked dealer as a perspective customer (plus posted similar question) if either the factory installed a whole coach water filter or no. factory does not, dealer would. Next question I asked is it whole coach or just city water. City water was answer. On our current coach, it's a whole coach which I like and no external filter. Don't think there is a lot of room to mount any filter whatsoever in docking station. What would be nice about the filter in docking station is that if it leaks, no risk of water on floor of basement as it would drain down access hole. Has anyone mounter a filter in docking station? City or whole system incl fresh tank?

justafordguy

Don't think there is a lot of room to mount any filter whatsoever in docking station. What would be nice about the filter in docking station is that if it leaks, no risk of water on floor of basement as it would drain down access hole. Has anyone mounter a filter in docking station? City or whole system incl fresh tank?

Yes, I mounted mine in the UDC. I have a quick connect on the water hookups and can move it from city water to fresh tank in seconds.

Shortest Straw

Caught In A Mosh
Hi Mike,

Though you may not have a traditional UDC, you should still have access to the backside of the city water inlet. Likely from the area behind an access wall, back where your furnace, water pump and water heater may all be - though I admit I am unfamiliar with the utility configuration of your brand and layout.

So, if you do have access to the backside of the city water inlet, it likely has 1/2" male NPT threads with a piece of vinyl hose or PEX hose connected to it. If it were me, I'd want to grab the water there and run through my filtration system, then return the output of my system back to the line that was connected to the inlet and feeds the coach.

I'm doubtful there is any GHT (garden hose thread) connections in the coach - just on the outside for city water in and perhaps black tank flush. Most all you'll be dealing with is 1/2" NPT in male and female.

In my current coach, I created a wooden frame to mount my filtration (and RO) system on, then I screwed that frame to the floor. Once in place, I plumbed it in as I described above. Here's a link to that system.

I tried to use as much all-plastic connectors as I could, but I found them to be not as well constructed as the mostly-brass Sharkbite (and similar) brand connectors. Going forward, I will be favoring less all-plastic connectors.

Over the years, in 7 coaches, I have used various filter types and configurations. I feel that purchasing a multi-stage filtration system from RV Water Filter Store or similar is a great route to go. Rick (or his fulfillment people) will configure the system to your specifications, right down to the connector types and sizes you want. The filter cartridge pricing is decent too. But there are other online sources for all of this stuff.

Wishing you the best!

Thank you for the help!! I now have formulated what I want to do and the parts I need. My first try at Lowes was a no-go and the nearest HD is an hour away so I may need to delay my project.

porthole

Retired
I framed out my basement wall a bit, added a hinge and a double whole house filter kit. I use to attach my filter to the intake every time we got to camp, and that was a single with a sediment only filter.
That finally got lod last summer.

This dual kit is sediment and carbon.

And so it begins whole coach water filters

NYSUPstater

Think for this year at least, will go with a inline filter. That being said, of those on the market, what is the best one and how to determine which is better (kinda same question)?.

Saw many kinds/brands at Camping World, but was as clueless leaving as I was when I walked in. Looked online and 2 came up. Camco 100 micron w/ KDF and Omnipure 25 micron w/ KDF (2500 gallon life span?). By the looks of the description, the Omni seems better albeit more $$. Lower micron rating is better right? Camco's doesn't filter out all sediment. What's KDF? Compared to, say a PUR faucet mounted filter on kitchen sink which is supposed to filter out a whole lotta stuff, am not sure how either of the 2 mentioned stack up. Our current coach's whole system filter is a cartridge/charcoal one and does well.

We are not full timers and camp in summer only. No W/D (tho new coach will be plumbed for it). Any and all help would be greatly appreciated as we'd like to have everything we need to go once new coach arrives and get items transferred into.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Here is a link to little tutoral on water filters at the RV Water Filter Store. [LINK]
Hope that answers a few of your questions.

Peace
Dave

coram8

Here is what I did on our Gateway. It is the Omni inline filter. I used rivets to mount diamonplate to both sides of the docking station wall to create a more rigid wall. Then mounted the filter and water regulator to the wall. I now have quick connects on both ends. I simply put the one end through to the outside with a quick connect while the other end stays connected to a 90 degree connector on the city water inlet. It has a quick connect with a shut-off so I can easily switch it to a 10 inch tank fill hose.
IMG_5272.jpg

CDN

B and B
I came from a trailer with a whole house filter built in, this was a pain to change and winterize. I like the mounted filter, nice work. Thinking of modding a second wet bay with the softener, tie for backwash to gray tank.

For the time being I have several of the same type of inline filters I am going to run ahead of the softener just set under the slide when on Full Hook ups.