Landmark Augusta versus Carriage Cameo

Northern Virginia
We're trying to decide whether to go with the Landmark Augusta or Carriage Cameo. We really like the room and cosmetic features of the Augusta, but have heard the Carriage has the best reputation. We don't want to sacrifice quality for beauty. Please give us some pointers, experiences, etc to help us to make the right decision. Both are about the same price range (the Augusta 38' just a few thousand more, but the Cameo is just 33').

Thanks for your help!

tcbrady

Both the Augusta and Cameo are great units - keep in mind the Augusta offers a number a features (standard) not available on the Cameo

1. 100% real hardwood cabinet stiles
2. Patented Front cap designed to make a sharp 88 degree turn with a short bed truck - more aerodynamic and easier to tow!
3. soft touch ceilings
4. clean universal docking center (UDC) - all your hook ups in one centralized compartment
5. king bed
6. Half body paint
7. electric power cord reel
8. hidden cabinet hinges
9. dinette with 4 chairs (cameo 2)
10. track lighting in the kitchen

Good luck in your buying process.
Regards, Coley

cdbMidland

Past Michigan Chapter Leader
I had a Carriage Cameo LXI prior to purchasing my Bighorn. In my opinion, the Bighorn and the Cameo are like units; the Landmark would go against the regular Carriage. There was one thing that bothered me about the Carriage when we were traveling with an older large dog and that was the open step within the doorway kitchen floor (which also led to a lower door opening and door top that my 6' 4" length had to duck to get in). That' really the only "knock" that I had on the Cameo. When my wfe saw the floorplan of the Bighorn, she wanted it and now.

No doubt that Carriage makes a good unit, but so does Heartland.

ccd001

Cameo vs Augusta

I don't know if this will help you with your decision or not but one of my
family members bought a 2007 Cameo in June 2007. They had nothing but
trouble with the unit. Apperently the big slide room was installed improperly from factory. Carriage sent factory rep. down to dealer 3 different time trying get problem fixed. Finaaly the kitchen cabinets started coming loose from wall etc. The dealer let them trade unit back
to them and They then bought a KZ brand called Montego Bay. So far
they have no problems with the KZ. I always thought Carriage was
known for top quality but I know now that's not always true. I have a 2008 BG 3055 and so far no issues with quality.
Have a good day,
Clay

ziggy

Retired Oregon HOC
I don't know anything about Carriage and just walked into my first Landmark a couple of days ago, so I can't really help you in your comparison of the units themselves.

But, if I were in the market again, I would wonder, does Carriage have a website like this one and do their factory people sign on to personally answer your questions? Do they have a person who's job is to be responsible for looking out for customer interests? Heartland has both.

I hope you find the coach that fits what you really want to use it for and makes you happy to own it. That's what really matters. Most of us have friends who have other brands and we haven't disowned them for it.:D:D:D:D

Good Luck in your search.
Kristy

flamingknitter

My Sister-in-law and her husband have a cameo. It is small but nice and they don't seem to have any major problems. The minor problems they have seem to be related to lack of information. They don't have an owner's group or rally's or direct factory support.

This forum covers many issues that newcomers to the RV lifestyle need to know. I have learned lots about how stuff works in general. When I had 12v issues, the repair man was impressed with how much I knew about how my rig works. I owe it all to the forum and reading every post.

Except for dealer caused issues, I love my Augusta. Everywhere I've been, it is a show stopper. I should charge a dollar for every tour. Most likely, whichever way you go, you'll be happy and you'll also have issues. For me, the forum is a deciding factor and probably why my next RV will be a heartland as well

Marybeth

Northern Virginia
Thank you so much for these helpful responses! Knowing that Heartland has this active responsive forum will definitely be a factor in our decision.

lleach

We have a 2008 Augusta and are very happy with it. We also were deciding between the Augusta and the Cameo and are so glad we bought a Heartland. Heartland appears to stand behind their products and the forum has helped us numerous times when we had questions. Good luck.

azbound

If it is built by man it won't and can't be perfect, anyone that tells you they never had any issues with their 5er is blowing smoke. That said, your dealer and manufacturer are extremely important. Check out their reputation, then pick the size and floor plan that best suit you, don't forget the weight, and buy your new RV.

Good hunting

boatdoc

BIL has the Cameo and the only thing I don't like is what was addressed before, the killer step. The wife and I nearly witnessed an older lady fall out of a Cameo because she was not used to it. It wasn't her rig and just barely caught herself before taking a plunge. The inlaws want me to make a cover of sorts for the hole when camped and with the door closed.

Northern Virginia
I thought I would follow up with my wife’s original post. We ultimately decided on the Landmark and brought it home last Saturday.

Heartland's customer service and the existence of this website had a lot to do with the final decision.

Our maiden trip is this weekend. We can't wait.

John

mike3fan

I thought I would follow up with my wife’s original post. We ultimately decided on the Landmark and brought it home last Saturday.

Heartland's customer service and the existence of this website had a lot to do with the final decision. Our maiden trip is this weekend. We can't wait.

John

congrats,let us know how it goes.:)