Actual tongue weight

Four22

Guys and gals!

we're looking to purchase a M32 and I'm trying to size the Equal-I-zer hitch...

so so what's a real world number for tongue weight?? My "educated guess" based on GVW and tong weight percentages thinks I would be safe with the 12,000/1200 equal-I-zer setup...

any real world experience out there to help me with my decision?

Thanks everyone!!!

pegmikef

Guys and gals!

we're looking to purchase a M32 and I'm trying to size the Equal-I-zer hitch...

so so what's a real world number for tongue weight?? My "educated guess" based on GVW and tong weight percentages thinks I would be safe with the 12,000/1200 equal-I-zer setup...

any real world experience out there to help me with my decision?

Thanks everyone!!!

When I bought my Edge, the tongue weight and rig were pretty light, but the dealer put on a 14 K EZ-Lift WD hitch setup. I asked him why so heavy duty. He said the stronger the better, but the real reason was he felt that most folks have a tendency to move up and he always thought of future requirements. As it turns out, I was glad he did because a year later we bought a North Trail that was quite a bit heavier and all we had to do was readjust the hitch and move the torsion bar fittings to the new trailer. Worked very well on both trailers.

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
When we bought our first bumper-pull, the seller kept the WD stuff . . .

I asked why he pulled that stuff out of the cubby hole, and he said "You'll find out!"

We camped once without the WD hitch setup, then bought the stuff the next week.

That was when I found out why he kept it.

I kept that stuff through two trailers and 16 years, and kept it when we traded the Trail Runner in for our Prowler.

I finally sold it all on Craig's List as we realized that we most likely will stick with 5th-wheels from now on.

Silverado23

Iowa Chapter Leaders
I recommend the 14K/1400TW Equal-I-zer for the larger north trails.
GW is 8600LB x 15% tongue weight is 1290 lbs. don't use the 12K/1200 version as you could easily exceed its ratings and not have any spare capacity.

I have a North Trail 32Buds which is a near twin of the Mallard M32. I upgraded to a 14K/1400 equal-I-zer and have been very happy with the equal-I-zer hitch. I rarely notice any sway at all, once properly set-up.

The dealer may initially set-up the hitch but you may need to tweak it if you have any sway or other load issues. I had the dealer do the initial install and had to redo the configuration because the dealer did not properly level the hitch. Easy to do but can be somewhat time consuming initially.

The Equal-I-zer company, Progress Mfg. Inc, has great support if you have any questions or need any parts, including additional spacers.

Chopperno1

I have the equalizer wd hitch from my previous camper. It is the 1,000/10,000 set up. The M32 has a manufacture stated dry weight of 6,700lbs., GVWR 8600lbs. and 560lbs hitch weight. I have no issues with my setup. My tow vehicle is a Ram 2500, even when I hitch up prior to hooking up the wd the rear end barely moves down. If I did not already have the set up I like overkill and probably would go with more capacity. What tow vehicle do you have?

Four22

Thanks for the great feedback!

sounds like I'd be in good shape if I went with any of the mentioned ratings.

I think I'll shoot for the 1200 pound setup as a starting point and maybe try the 1000/1400 pound bars if I have a rough ride. I'm not new to towing but new to this size of trailer.

thanks again!

Silverado23

Iowa Chapter Leaders
Thanks for the great feedback!

sounds like I'd be in good shape if I went with any of the mentioned ratings.

I think I'll shoot for the 1200 pound setup as a starting point and maybe try the 1000/1400 pound bars if I have a rough ride. I'm not new to towing but new to this size of trailer.

thanks again!

Beware the equal-I-zer bars are NOT interchangeable between hitch heads weight ratings.
The only thing that is common between equal-I-zer weight setups is the shank that the ball mount attaches.

If you have a 2 1/2inch receiver , you may wish to upgrade to a 2 1/2 inch shank and remove excess play that is present using a hitch sleeve adapter.

You can adjust the tension on the bars to adjust the rough or soft ride or if you have too much sway.

I started out with 1000 lb setup on my 2016 NT as I previously had the setup on my 2010 NT of a similar but lighter configuration.