Purging air

davelinde

I'm having trouble getting my water pump to work. On my last FW I just filled the tank, turned on the pump and within 20 seconds there was pressure. For a while there would be some air in the lines, but the pump would cycle and work as the air cleared.

On my new 3210 the pump worked a little (cycled on/off) then just would not shut off! It probably ran for an hour or more before I came back and realized it was not working. I found a statement in a manual to be sure to purge the air. I ran the pump with a line open for about 2 minutes and it would spit water and air but never purge the air, almost like the FW tank was dry. The FW tank reads 1/3 full and water drains from the bottom in a steady stream.

The rig is in storage now but I'm about to go dry camping and need to solve this (or change my plans). All I can think to do is pull the rig to city water to purge the lines that way. Then maybe top off the tanks and try the pump again.

Does the pump pull from the very bottom of the tank? Shouldn't it prime itself?

oh yes... I guess I'll close/open the bypass valve just in case - but it was in the right position, I checked. I'm guess that if I want to service the pump it's behind the panel w/4 screws in front of the dock area?

jbeletti

Dave,

Sounds like the input line to your water pump has a kink or pinch in it. I suggest you open up the bulkhead wall, find the pump and trace out the input to the pump. It may help to shorten that line to minimize future pinch/kink potential.

Jim

davelinde

Dave,

Sounds like the input line to your water pump has a kink or pinch in it

THANKS... gives me something I can still do in storage before our trip.
Oh yes, one other symptom... I had the pump on initially (when it was still working) and connected city water. I turned on the water and the pump would kick on then off. I guessed that the pump pressure was set higher than the drop in city line pressure when the water started and that this was "normal".

yep - a kinked line sounds right - I was just hoping there was a solution that didn't involve pulling access panels.

davelinde

I finally got to pull the panel and take a look at the pump - it definitely sounds like it's just pulling air but from what was visible, none of the lines was kinked - though there's only so much I can inspect there. Now I'm wondering if the sensor is wrong or if the pump does not feed from the lowest point in the tank. Next step will be to top off the tank and see if the pump starts working.

In my last rig the pump would almost run the FW tank empty... I'm hoping I'll be able to do that now. I usually tow with a minimal amount of water in the tank - but I do expect to be able to use all of what I'm carrying...

Jett

I have the same problem. My pump won't pick-up the water if the gauge reads 1/3 or less. I suspect the pump doesn't pull from the bottom of the tank and I also suspect the gauge isn't very accurate either. When the gauge reads 1/3, I've opened up the tank drain and some water came out, but definitely not 20+ gallons.

davelinde

I have the same problem. My pump won't pick-up the water if the gauge reads 1/3 or less. I suspect the pump doesn't pull from the bottom of the tank and I also suspect the gauge isn't very accurate either. When the gauge reads 1/3, I've opened up the tank drain and some water came out, but definitely not 20+ gallons.

After looking for a kinked hose (BTW - for reasons I cannot fathom the access panel is held on by two different length screws and if you use the wrong screw in the wrong place it goes through the other side!!! but I digress) I pulled the rig over to some water and added more until the gauge read 2/3. The pump works fine now. We used it last night and this morning just fine.

I was wondering what to do next and you gave me an idea. I'll pump the tank "dry" then drain it into 5 gallon buckets to see just how much extra water I cannot pump. If it's a few gallons I'll call this "OK" If it's 20 gallons I'll get this warranty repaired. THANKS!

viking4545

my rig wouldnt pump the last 1/3 of water either, so i took it to the dealer and they found the pick up tube was too short, gave me a longer one and no problems now.

08cyclone

my rig wouldnt pump the last 1/3 of water either, so i took it to the dealer and they found the pick up tube was too short, gave me a longer one and no problems now.

I'm having water pump issues with my 08 3795... I hope this is something that might be happening with mine also, but after thinking about it mine still acts like there is air in the lines even when full.... :confused::mad: I'll try and check for kinked lines.

Taz Devil

I thought I was the only one that was having this problem. Last weekend I noticed my pump was run but not water pressure. Loose connection on the outlet side of the pump. Bleed the air out and still would not pump any water and according to the gauges I had 1/3 water in the tank. Put some more water in the tank and it began to work again. So either the gauges are off or I also have a water pick tube problem. I guess I just have to get under there and take a look.