Washer taking a beating (LM Madison)

Mburtsvt

Looking for different ideas if you may have one. The rear of our 2016 Landmark Madison is taking a beating on the road. I’m not going to go into the list here, but I do need any feedback on solutions for this urgent problem. Our washer/dryer combo seems to be the recipient of most of the issues. So far the door will no longer close on the washer and the soap dispenser has fallen into the front of the washer, (see pictures). Additionally mysterious plastic pieces have shown up, but thats a different story, (door latches).

That aside I will have it removed and see if it can be reconditioned by Splendide, (so looking forward to that).

Any Madison owners with a washer/dryer having the same problems? My “seat of the paints" solution is to add rubber mats under the washer when I reinstall. I hope this will add some vibration flex dampening to lessen the horizontal and vertical movement of the washer.

Any other ideas?

IMG_1597.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_1597.JPG
    IMG_1597.JPG
    114.5 KB · Views: 86
  • IMG_1597.JPG
    IMG_1597.JPG
    115 KB · Views: 85
  • IMG_1597.JPG
    IMG_1597.JPG
    115 KB · Views: 79
  • IMG_1597.JPG
    IMG_1597.JPG
    115 KB · Views: 74

rxbristol

Re: Washer taking a beating.....

I don't have a solution to your issue, but I did notice you don't have a drain pan under your washer which implies you don't have a drain tube if it leaks.

Garypowell

First I'll mention that I have found Splendide excellent to work with in our one problem.

But please clarify if the unit is moving around while it is washing/drying clothes or while you are driving down the road.

If it is out of balance and has damaged itself my bet is they will be very helpful if you let them.

But if this damage is from driving down the road......you have bigger problems than your washer. And if that is the case they might not be of much help.

When traveling over a 3 month trip and used every day our Splendide might creep an inch......

i look foreward to hearing more details.

danemayer

My “seat of the paints" solution is to add rubber mats under the washer when I reinstall. I hope this will add some vibration flex dampening to lessen the horizontal and vertical movement of the washer.

With the machine located in the rear of the trailer, it's going to get a lot of road shock. Same as I've always heard about rear kitchen floor plans. Things get bounced a lot in the back. So something to reduce the shock would seem to be a good idea.

And adding an overflow drain pan and drain is a really good idea while you're modifying things.

Bones

Maybe they should start looking into moving the axles further back with some rigs. I know that is a double edge sword

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Rather than, or in addition to the rubber mat you propose, perhaps a strap to secure it to the floor would prevent any movement while on the road.

Peace
Dave

BigGuy82

First I'll mention that I have found Splendide excellent to work with in our one problem.

But please clarify if the unit is moving around while it is washing/drying clothes or while you are driving down the road.

If it is out of balance and has damaged itself my bet is they will be very helpful if you let them.

But if this damage is from driving down the road......you have bigger problems than your washer. And if that is the case they might not be of much help.

When traveling over a 3 month trip and used every day our Splendide might creep an inch......

i look foreward to hearing more details.

We've got the Splendide all-in-one and from day one, this thing has vibrating like crazy during the spin cycle, no matter how light or heavy the load. We only run it when stationary, all the stabilizers are down and we have a drain pan. I just figured that this was normal behavior since it's located at the extreme front of the coach.

How much vibration is too much (I know ... if the wheels collapse, it's too much)? But seriously, should some coach shaking be expected? Right now, if we're watching TV in the lounge area (extreme rear), we can feel the vibration during spin.

I'm thinking this is relevant to this thread but if a moderator wants to start a separate thread, no problem.

Garypowell

While my Splendide is not as good at balancing the load as our home front loader it does ok.

Simple concept we have found is the heavier the load the more likely for more vibration. So we wash smaller loads of heavy things but insure there are at least two items. That is we don't wash just one pair of jeans.

Another simple change is spinning on 600 rpm not 1200. It will take a few minutes longer to dry....but well worth the peace and quiet.

Believe me I have been bounced out of my chair a few times....but my door has never bent off its hinges. Of course I now understand the OP has the unit in the rear.....so this post is more for big guy.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
You could try these, though they say they don't prevent tipping:

http://www.dyersonline.com/splendide-securefit-brackets.html

For our combo unit, we added a strap, (like to secure your dining chairs), that goes from back of the machine floor to front of the machine floor, that we secure before travel.

We have similar bounce issues in the rear of our rig. My desk (removed couch and put in desk) would move, sometimes 3-4". So we secured it with L brackets to the floor. I know you can't do that with the combo, but I do understand the nature of the bounce.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

porthole

Retired
Additionally mysterious plastic pieces have shown up, but thats a different story, (door latches).

Door latch - the latch is plastic and I feel mine broke from closing the door too hard all the time.

Look at my Splendide door latch link here.

Mine broke during a rally. I use it almost everyday. Took it apart, wire tied as shown in the pictures as a temporary repair and it is still that way 3 1/2 years later.

Splendide recommends using fabric softener all the time. Not so much so that you get nice smelling "softer" clothes, but because the softener helps the clothes fall of the drum as rotation reverses.
The multiple rotation changes before the fast spin is to help get the load balanced.

- - - Updated - - -

Note that with the above wire tie repair we now close the door softly while holding the release handle in, no more slamming.