Big Country 3965 DSS weight

FCR

I have been looking at the Big Country 3965 DSS and I'm trying to get a idea of the actual pin and truck axle weights. I'll be pulling with this truck.

2016 Chevrolet Silverado 3500 CC SRW Duramax short bed

Thanks for your help Frank

danemayer

Hi FCR,

It's possible another BC 3965 owner might have actual weights, but if not, you should plan on the pin weight running around 20% of GVWR. With a GVWR of 16,500 that would put the pin around 3,100 lbs. As for weight on the rear axle, add weight of the hitch, bed liner, bed cover, wood, tools, generators, etc. Compare that all to the truck payload spec as documented on your door sticker.

Of course if you install options like a washer/dryer, on-board generator, and carry a basement full of stuff, you could have a higher pin weight. Our 2011 Landmark dry spec is 2,620 on a GVWR of 16,000. Actual was 3,700 last time we weighed.

GVWR
16,500 lbs​

Dry Weight
13,978 lbs​

Hitch Weight
2,900 lbs​

FCR

Hi Dan,

Thanks for the response. I know I'm going to be close on the pin and wasn't sure if the Big Country was closer to 23 %.
I'm aware it all depends on how I load it.

Frank

SNOKING

Hi Dan,

Thanks for the response. I know I'm going to be close on the pin and wasn't sure if the Big Country was closer to 23 %.
I'm aware it all depends on how I load it.

Frank

If it continues with the same 20.7 percent pin weight from the factory then you are looking at 3400+ pin weight. The 2474 CC is pretty low for a trailer that size, so you will most likely use that all up. Until you set the truck up ready to tow and weigh it you will not know how much pin weight you can handle. What is the RGAWR? Our 2015 RAM Laramie 4x4 CC SB SRW is 8900 ready to tow. Our BH 3575el starts out with 435 pounds less pin weight and we are pushing close to the 7K RGAWR just over on GVWR for the truck and 24520 GCW. That is without a washer/dryer sitting right over the pin, but loaded for snowbird trip to Arizona. BTW we have a 3050 CC and used up just about all of it.

I would think you are pushing into dually arena. Pin weight is what kills SRW. I hitch like the Andersen Aluminum one can save you about two hundred pounds verse my B&W RVK3270 manual slider on a Demco 6099 picture frame and OEM pucks. I personally feel that all the larger Bighorns and Big Counties are lacking in carrying capacity.

FCR

Snoking thanks for the input, looks like I'm going to have to rethink this.
I'll be looking at the BC 3150RL & BC 3650RL along with the Bighorn 3160E & 3270RS.

Frank