ATF: Mallard - Advertised equipment discrepancies

I own a 2017 M33. The advertised axle rating right on the web site is a "pair of 4400lbs axles." However, when you get underneath and read the Dexter sticker it reads a pair of 5200 lbs axles. Does this affect the calculated ccw and or change what the dry weight of the camper is? Does this make null and void the weight capacities on the exterior sticker as well as the one in the door jamb?

danemayer

Usually this means that the axle manufacturer found it to be more efficient to have fewer part numbers, so they provided the next size up from what was required. The additional weight is probably negligible to dry weight and carrying capacity. GVWR would be unchanged.

But wouldn't the GVWR be tied directly to what the axles are capable of carrying. It would very much be a deciding factor at the factory when deciding to instal a 30 gallon or 100 gallon water tank ETC. I would think also a 1400 lbs difference in axles capacities would translate directly to the cargo carrying capacities as well. Especially since the tires are 16" load range E and not a C or D. The load range E tires are sized to carry more than 5200lbs combined.

danemayer

But wouldn't the GVWR be tied directly to what the axles are capable of carrying. It would very much be a deciding factor at the factory when deciding to instal a 30 gallon or 100 gallon water tank ETC. I would think also a 1400 lbs difference in axles capacities would translate directly to the cargo carrying capacities as well. Especially since the tires are 16" load range E and not a C or D. The load range E tires are sized to carry more than 5200lbs combined.

From a design standpoint, there are a number of things, including but not limited to axle rating, and wheels and tires that can be the weakest link. And the weakest link determines the GVWR. GVWR less actual weight gives you the carrying capacity. So improving one component doesn't necessarily improve the overall performance. And even if the axles were the weakest link and improving them could bump the GVWR, the spec is fixed when design is closed. Changing parts doesn't automatically change the design specs. The entire coach would have to go back to engineering for a new determination.