New Ram 3500 Towing Beast

szewczyk_john

Our new 3500 Ram 3500 Laramie Dually long box with high output cummins & asian transmission. 4.10 gearing, automatic rear air suspension, fifth wheel prep, tonneau cover rear back up camera with the cargo camera as well. This thing has so many options and toys that I am still trying to figure them all out. After looking at 4500s and a used 5500 from Classy Chassis, I came to my senses and bought this one. Color is called Maximum Steel metallic with black interior. Best description of the color that I have heard came from the sales man. He said it looks like new rebar used for cement work before it starts to rust up. Think bluish grey with that purplish tinting and in the sun this color really pops off the truck. In the shadows it looks black Deal was just too good to pass up plus they gave more for the old blue 2006 2500 Mega Cab then any local dealer that we drove 4 hours to get it. Dulles Dodge/Ram out of Leesburg Virginia. Nothing special about the dealer or the dealership except for their flat out approach to selling. This is our bottom dollar deal take it or leave it. I even think I got a good deal on the extended warranty that includes all required basic maintenance and I have never bout any such warranty program. I can not wait to hook the Road Warrior up to this and see what the difference in towing is going to be. I finally have stability of the dual rear wheels. I still paid a pretty penny for this one and I only hope that there is still enough money to go camping and to go to rallies. The first test will be at the end of March as we make our way to Martinsville Speedway.

Just drove it home yesterday and could not be happier. This beast has so much torque it is unbelievable, but the cabin is so quiet and comfortable. It is amazing.

IMG_0328.JPG
IMG_0329.JPG
IMG_0330.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_0329.JPG
    IMG_0329.JPG
    96.4 KB · Views: 107
  • IMG_0329.JPG
    IMG_0329.JPG
    98 KB · Views: 91
  • IMG_0330.JPG
    IMG_0330.JPG
    106.1 KB · Views: 100

JWalker

Northeast Region Director-Retired
You are going to love it. It is a towing beast!!! The 4:10 and Asian are a great combo.

CONGRATS. Can't wait to see it.

Bones

congrats on the truck. You'll love the auto level in the truck, That is the best part.

porthole

Retired
Whoo hoo John - when do we get to go for a ride?

No dealer within 50 miles of me has the DRW with the rear air, looking forward to how it works for you.

Going to the spring Dover race?

szewczyk_john

Funny thing is that I almost made a deal with a local dealer for a very similar truck. The next day I did a new search for my truck and changed my home zip code on the search engine. This resulted in new trucks being added to the results page. I got this truck cheaper then the deal I almost made and got the cold weather package, automatic high beams, tonneau cover and the auto air ride thrown in. To top it off, the dealer also gave me more for the old truck. Like I said, I just could not pass the deal up. I have seen this color on a **** Cat and fell in love with it. SO to get that color was just an added bonus.

This beast looks so much higher then old blue but I took 3 measurements of the bed before we left Saturday morning to make the deal. I measured from the top of tail gate while in the flattened positioned, from the bed to the top of the bed rails, and then from the recessed wheel well where on would place the 2x4 to make a platform. Then I measured the new truck and to my amazement the new truck is about 1/2 lower than the old one and the bed rail measurements are the same.So I think that when I remove the super slide attachment on the BD3 hitch and add the picture frame from reese, I will be at the same height. Time will tell if I am right.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Nice looking ride.
I have the same color and never know what the color is going to look like.

Peace
Dave

Last edited:

Bones

Funny thing is that I almost made a deal with a local dealer for a very similar truck. The next day I did a new search for my truck and changed my home zip code on the search engine. This resulted in new trucks being added to the results page. I got this truck cheaper then the deal I almost made and got the cold weather package, automatic high beams, tonneau cover and the auto air ride thrown in. To top it off, the dealer also gave me more for the old truck. Like I said, I just could not pass the deal up. I have seen this color on a **** Cat and fell in love with it. SO to get that color was just an added bonus.

This beast looks so much higher then old blue but I took 3 measurements of the bed before we left Saturday morning to make the deal. I measured from the top of tail gate while in the flattened positioned, from the bed to the top of the bed rails, and then from the recessed wheel well where on would place the 2x4 to make a platform. Then I measured the new truck and to my amazement the new truck is about 1/2 lower than the old one and the bed rail measurements are the same.So I think that when I remove the super slide attachment on the BD3 hitch and add the picture frame from reese, I will be at the same height. Time will tell if I am right.
Keep in mind that you have auto level so you should have the Alt ride height which will lower 1 inch when selected and it will level the truck.

Bones

Everything is on the table

If haven't decided before the rally then your welcome to look over mine. I have all that in mine too. Jamie has a newer ram too. Mine is a 2015 model so not as much power as the new model.

Power247

congrats on your new Ram!!

Greg
2012 | RAM 2500 | CCSB | Custom tuned by Double R Diesel
2016 | Heartland Pioneer | DS310

Bones

How does the auto level work?

It is a closed nitrogen system. You ride mostly on the air bags but you still have leaf spring suspension, unless the newer models have changed. When you load the truck is knows it is not at ride height and after a few seconds will inflate the air bag to ride height automatically. When you hook up to the trailer, you will be at normal ride height for every day driving. Once you drop the trailer onto the truck it will raise up to normal ride. Hop in the truck and push the button for Alt Trailer Height. The truck will then lower about 1 inch maybe a bit more to level out your trailer. You can not push the button before because you need to have weight on the truck. Once you are at Alt ride height you can keep it there even after you disconnect. However if you take it off and go back to ride height you will need to be hooked up again and have weight in the bed to lower it again. All of this happens automatically. The nitrogen tank does have a service life however I am unsure as to the life expectancy before it needs to be refilled. Does this help?

Doublegranch

Mountain Region Director-Retired
Bones:

On my 2016 3500, I don't do anything for the air suspension to adjust. The buttons per my manual are used for: Jacking up for tire repair or Towing. Other than that, I don't have to touch the buttons, it's all automatic, hitching up, unhitching, etc....the truck lowers and raises as the computer deems necessary.

Jv75353

Congrats on the new truck, looks great! Look forward to getting an update after your first towing experience.

Bones

Bones:

On my 2016 3500, I don't do anything for the air suspension to adjust. The buttons per my manual are used for: Jacking up for tire repair or Towing. Other than that, I don't have to touch the buttons, it's all automatic, hitching up, unhitching, etc....the truck lowers and raises as the computer deems necessary.
That's the same as mine. Those are software. You should still have an option to lower the truck for towing. It should be called Alt Trailer height and located under your radio where your automatic exhaust brake and tow/haul mode are.

szewczyk_john

Not sure about the earlier trucks but since I just read my manual I thought that I would post this.

Granted I have not used mine. But I skimmed through the book and the 2017 has a few different settings. The regular ride height is maintained at all times with no operator control, alternate trailer height lowers the rear 1 inch so the truck is level from front to back, there is a jack/tire changing setting for when you are jacking the truck off the ground, it prevents any adjustments to the air bag system. Finally there is a zero height setting. This is only to be used when the truck is being trailered or put on a flatbed, it takes all the air out of the bags and there is a warning about not adding weight while in this setting as damage to the bags may occur.

I know this system was new for the 2500 & 3500 trucks in late 2014 but there are big differences between them. The 2500 has no steel and all air bag rear suspension. The 3500 maintains the springs with assistance from the airbags. the bags will maintain the regular ride height up to GVW. So if the rear starts to sag under load it is a visual warning that the truck is overloaded.

JWalker

Northeast Region Director-Retired
Just wait until you head up out of Pittsburgh over the mountain. Weather the turnpike or down on route 68 in West Virginia and Maryland. You'll be amazed when the truck never comes out of overdrive. And then when you're on the flat, you set the cruise control and go. Towed about 3000 miles last year and I am still amazed with the trucks performance.