PDA

View Full Version : New Ram 3500 Towing Beast

szewczyk_john
01-29-2017, 12:26 PM
Our new 3500 Ram 3500 Laramie Dually long box with high output cummins & asian transmission. 4.10 gearing, automatic rear air suspension, fifth wheel prep, tonneau cover rear back up camera with the cargo camera as well. This thing has so many options and toys that I am still trying to figure them all out. After looking at 4500s and a used 5500 from Classy Chassis, I came to my senses and bought this one. Color is called Maximum Steel metallic with black interior. Best description of the color that I have heard came from the sales man. He said it looks like new rebar used for cement work before it starts to rust up. Think bluish grey with that purplish tinting and in the sun this color really pops off the truck. In the shadows it looks black Deal was just too good to pass up plus they gave more for the old blue 2006 2500 Mega Cab then any local dealer that we drove 4 hours to get it. Dulles Dodge/Ram out of Leesburg Virginia. Nothing special about the dealer or the dealership except for their flat out approach to selling. This is our bottom dollar deal take it or leave it. I even think I got a good deal on the extended warranty that includes all required basic maintenance and I have never bout any such warranty program. I can not wait to hook the Road Warrior up to this and see what the difference in towing is going to be. I finally have stability of the dual rear wheels. I still paid a pretty penny for this one and I only hope that there is still enough money to go camping and to go to rallies. The first test will be at the end of March as we make our way to Martinsville Speedway.

Just drove it home yesterday and could not be happier. This beast has so much torque it is unbelievable, but the cabin is so quiet and comfortable. It is amazing.

JWalker
01-29-2017, 12:43 PM
You are going to love it. It is a towing beast!!! The 4:10 and Asian are a great combo.

CONGRATS. Can't wait to see it.

jnbhobe
01-29-2017, 12:54 PM
Good lookin truck John

Oregon_Camper
01-29-2017, 02:49 PM
Congrats....getting a new truck is almost as fun as getting a new RV. :)

Bones
01-29-2017, 03:14 PM
congrats on the truck. You'll love the auto level in the truck, That is the best part.

porthole
01-29-2017, 03:30 PM
Whoo hoo John - when do we get to go for a ride?

No dealer within 50 miles of me has the DRW with the rear air, looking forward to how it works for you.

Going to the spring Dover race?

Bones
01-29-2017, 04:17 PM
Whoo hoo John - when do we get to go for a ride?

No dealer within 50 miles of me has the DRW with the rear air, looking forward to how it works for you.

Going to the spring Dover race?
Do
you want a dodge?

szewczyk_john
01-29-2017, 04:20 PM
Funny thing is that I almost made a deal with a local dealer for a very similar truck. The next day I did a new search for my truck and changed my home zip code on the search engine. This resulted in new trucks being added to the results page. I got this truck cheaper then the deal I almost made and got the cold weather package, automatic high beams, tonneau cover and the auto air ride thrown in. To top it off, the dealer also gave me more for the old truck. Like I said, I just could not pass the deal up. I have seen this color on a **** Cat and fell in love with it. SO to get that color was just an added bonus.

This beast looks so much higher then old blue but I took 3 measurements of the bed before we left Saturday morning to make the deal. I measured from the top of tail gate while in the flattened positioned, from the bed to the top of the bed rails, and then from the recessed wheel well where on would place the 2x4 to make a platform. Then I measured the new truck and to my amazement the new truck is about 1/2 lower than the old one and the bed rail measurements are the same.So I think that when I remove the super slide attachment on the BD3 hitch and add the picture frame from reese, I will be at the same height. Time will tell if I am right.

cookie
01-29-2017, 04:25 PM
Nice looking ride.
I have the same color and never know what the color is going to look like.

Peace
Dave

Bones
01-29-2017, 04:30 PM
Funny thing is that I almost made a deal with a local dealer for a very similar truck. The next day I did a new search for my truck and changed my home zip code on the search engine. This resulted in new trucks being added to the results page. I got this truck cheaper then the deal I almost made and got the cold weather package, automatic high beams, tonneau cover and the auto air ride thrown in. To top it off, the dealer also gave me more for the old truck. Like I said, I just could not pass the deal up. I have seen this color on a **** Cat and fell in love with it. SO to get that color was just an added bonus.

This beast looks so much higher then old blue but I took 3 measurements of the bed before we left Saturday morning to make the deal. I measured from the top of tail gate while in the flattened positioned, from the bed to the top of the bed rails, and then from the recessed wheel well where on would place the 2x4 to make a platform. Then I measured the new truck and to my amazement the new truck is about 1/2 lower than the old one and the bed rail measurements are the same.So I think that when I remove the super slide attachment on the BD3 hitch and add the picture frame from reese, I will be at the same height. Time will tell if I am right.
Keep in mind that you have auto level so you should have the Alt ride height which will lower 1 inch when selected and it will level the truck.

porthole
01-29-2017, 06:46 PM
Do
you want a dodge?

Everything is on the table

Bones
01-29-2017, 07:13 PM
Everything is on the table

If haven't decided before the rally then your welcome to look over mine. I have all that in mine too. Jamie has a newer ram too. Mine is a 2015 model so not as much power as the new model.

porthole
01-29-2017, 07:33 PM
How does the auto level work?

Power247
01-29-2017, 08:31 PM
congrats on your new Ram!!

Greg
2012 | RAM 2500 | CCSB | Custom tuned by Double R Diesel
2016 | Heartland Pioneer | DS310

Bones
01-29-2017, 08:54 PM
How does the auto level work?

It is a closed nitrogen system. You ride mostly on the air bags but you still have leaf spring suspension, unless the newer models have changed. When you load the truck is knows it is not at ride height and after a few seconds will inflate the air bag to ride height automatically. When you hook up to the trailer, you will be at normal ride height for every day driving. Once you drop the trailer onto the truck it will raise up to normal ride. Hop in the truck and push the button for Alt Trailer Height. The truck will then lower about 1 inch maybe a bit more to level out your trailer. You can not push the button before because you need to have weight on the truck. Once you are at Alt ride height you can keep it there even after you disconnect. However if you take it off and go back to ride height you will need to be hooked up again and have weight in the bed to lower it again. All of this happens automatically. The nitrogen tank does have a service life however I am unsure as to the life expectancy before it needs to be refilled. Does this help?

Doublegranch
01-29-2017, 09:12 PM
Bones:

On my 2016 3500, I don't do anything for the air suspension to adjust. The buttons per my manual are used for: Jacking up for tire repair or Towing. Other than that, I don't have to touch the buttons, it's all automatic, hitching up, unhitching, etc....the truck lowers and raises as the computer deems necessary.

Jv75353
01-29-2017, 10:09 PM
Congrats on the new truck, looks great! Look forward to getting an update after your first towing experience.

Bones
01-30-2017, 05:55 AM
Bones:

On my 2016 3500, I don't do anything for the air suspension to adjust. The buttons per my manual are used for: Jacking up for tire repair or Towing. Other than that, I don't have to touch the buttons, it's all automatic, hitching up, unhitching, etc....the truck lowers and raises as the computer deems necessary.
That's the same as mine. Those are software. You should still have an option to lower the truck for towing. It should be called Alt Trailer height and located under your radio where your automatic exhaust brake and tow/haul mode are.

szewczyk_john
01-30-2017, 07:21 AM
Not sure about the earlier trucks but since I just read my manual I thought that I would post this.

Granted I have not used mine. But I skimmed through the book and the 2017 has a few different settings. The regular ride height is maintained at all times with no operator control, alternate trailer height lowers the rear 1 inch so the truck is level from front to back, there is a jack/tire changing setting for when you are jacking the truck off the ground, it prevents any adjustments to the air bag system. Finally there is a zero height setting. This is only to be used when the truck is being trailered or put on a flatbed, it takes all the air out of the bags and there is a warning about not adding weight while in this setting as damage to the bags may occur.

I know this system was new for the 2500 & 3500 trucks in late 2014 but there are big differences between them. The 2500 has no steel and all air bag rear suspension. The 3500 maintains the springs with assistance from the airbags. the bags will maintain the regular ride height up to GVW. So if the rear starts to sag under load it is a visual warning that the truck is overloaded.

JWalker
01-30-2017, 07:34 AM
Just wait until you head up out of Pittsburgh over the mountain. Weather the turnpike or down on route 68 in West Virginia and Maryland. You'll be amazed when the truck never comes out of overdrive. And then when you're on the flat, you set the cruise control and go. Towed about 3000 miles last year and I am still amazed with the trucks performance.

Bones
01-30-2017, 07:37 AM
Not sure about the earlier trucks but since I just read my manual I thought that I would post this.

Granted I have not used mine. But I skimmed through the book and the 2017 has a few different settings. The regular ride height is maintained at all times with no operator control, alternate trailer height lowers the rear 1 inch so the truck is level from front to back, there is a jack/tire changing setting for when you are jacking the truck off the ground, it prevents any adjustments to the air bag system. Finally there is a zero height setting. This is only to be used when the truck is being trailered or put on a flatbed, it takes all the air out of the bags and there is a warning about not adding weight while in this setting as damage to the bags may occur.

I know this system was new for the 2500 & 3500 trucks in late 2014 but there are big differences between them. The 2500 has no steel and all air bag rear suspension. The 3500 maintains the springs with assistance from the airbags. the bags will maintain the regular ride height up to GVW. So if the rear starts to sag under load it is a visual warning that the truck is overloaded.

It's the same as mine so there should be a button on the dash. I just want to add that I love this feature

szewczyk_john
01-30-2017, 08:59 AM
yes the button is under the radio. When I press it now I only get an error message so that there in no weight on the truck.

Coming home from the dealership, we jumped on 68 and went through Uniontown to visit our oldest son at California University. I had never been on the stretch. Beautiful scenery with a fresh coating of snow.

Doublegranch
01-30-2017, 11:03 AM
Bones:I am confused as to why I would need to manually lower the truck for towing when it does it automatically? I know where the buttons are, but have yet any need for them. My rig has level up so between the RV and the truck it is pretty much a no brainer. The truck will adjust to the load either up or down without my hitting anything and the trailer will raise to the point where I unhooked last. Please explain why I would use them other than for a tire change or towing the vehicle via a tow truck?? My manual doesn't suggest I need to do anything when hooking up...

travelin2
01-30-2017, 11:20 AM
John, when are we all going to see this new RAM??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bones
01-30-2017, 11:22 AM
The Alt trailer height is at your preference but will level out your rig and trailer when towing. It makes it easier to keep the trailer level with the truck. Everything is inline. The trucks are given the rake in the rear so that when you have weight on it it will actually sag with normal suspension. That does not happen when you have an air system. The rig will automatically raise or lower back to it's predefined height. In all towing situations the best mode is to have everything in a line level. If you have your truck hooked up to the trailer and have not pushed Auto level your set up will actually be at a very slight pitch because the truck will not sag. Hook your truck up to the trailer and walk back from it and take a picture of it from the side. The truck will go up from the front axle to the rear then it will pitch back down from there on the trailer axles.

Doublegranch
01-30-2017, 11:52 AM
Bones:

Thanks I will give it a try on the next Rally in April.

JWalker
01-30-2017, 11:53 AM
I did not get the air suspension. But I manually do the same thing with my AirLift system. . When I hook the trailer up, I do not bring it up to its original rake height. I bring the rear up to where it is in line with the front. Bones, is that what you're sort of talking about?

Bones
01-30-2017, 12:18 PM
I did not get the air suspension. But I manually do the same thing with my AirLift system. . When I hook the trailer up, I do not bring it up to its original rake height. I bring the rear up to where it is in line with the front. Bones, is that what you're sort of talking about?

Yes.

Bones
01-30-2017, 12:50 PM
Here you go. I have Alt Ride height selected.

Sorry for the sun glare I couldn't find a better pic of a clear side shot.

szewczyk_john
01-30-2017, 01:12 PM
I have a few trips lined up but none are involving the owners group.We plan on coming to the national rally.

Sarge
01-31-2017, 03:27 AM
Went the same route - Except we wanted the MegaCab / Short bed combo.

Your new beast wont even notice the rig behind you....

porthole
01-31-2017, 01:17 PM
John, it looks like your dealer is the only dealer that shows up on a web search with a 3500 DRW, and they only have one.

BarbandFrank
01-31-2017, 02:24 PM
Nice Ride! We have the same beast - but a 2016 model. We tow a Landmark and don't even know it's back there!

Enjoy!

JWalker
01-31-2017, 02:33 PM
John, it looks like your dealer is the only dealer that shows up on a web search with a 3500 DRW, and they only have one.

Our dealer had one in about 2-3 weeks ago. An all black Laramie Longhorn CC DRW with tons of chrome. It sat in the showcase spot for about eight hours and was gone.

Doublegranch
01-31-2017, 08:14 PM
Bones:

I just visited the Ram dealer today and asked the question you brought up about the ALT button....according to the Ram dealer and my manual, no need to hit the ALT button as the 2016 Ram has two sensors in the bed that will correct the height of the truck...Not sure if the Rig is level and the truck is level as to why you would need to hit the ALT button....I will give it a shot on my next rally, but I have looked at the Rig in the past and it was level with the rig.....so not sure how to proceed as maybe you have a different air suspension than I do....I did check and it is a nitrogen bottle that does not need to be service unless there is a a leak or you change out the air bag or work on the system...

Bones
01-31-2017, 08:34 PM
Bones:

I just visited the Ram dealer today and asked the question you brought up about the ALT button....according to the Ram dealer and my manual, no need to hit the ALT button as the 2016 Ram has two sensors in the bed that will correct the height of the truck...Not sure if the Rig is level and the truck is level as to why you would need to hit the ALT button....I will give it a shot on my next rally, but I have looked at the Rig in the past and it was level with the rig.....so not sure how to proceed as maybe you have a different air suspension than I do....I did check and it is a nitrogen bottle that does not need to be service unless there is a a leak or you change out the air bag or work on the system...

The two sensors that they are talking about are the leveling sensors that tell the truck where it is in relation to suspension geometry. Many companies sell these sensors. You have manual sensors that actuate and air valve and the newer digital sensors. The digital sensors are better and help keep the system closed. Every tractor trailer that has air bags has a leveling valve or sensor installed in it. They automatically adjust the truck left to right up or down depending on weight load and angles. None of this has anything to do with the Alt button. If your rig is level without using the alternate trailer height button then you don't need to use it. I chose to keep the truck as level as possible and adjusted my trailer to match such that all the main components are in a line. It is what I prefer. Nothing says your set up is wrong. I'm just trying to explain what the button is for and what it does. By the way. When I run in the alt trailer height mode my truck still adjust up or down all the time and will lower itself back down to my selected height once I unload the trailer's pin weight and it will stay in that mode until I tell it not to. I think we all have the same type of suspension. we may have different bags but it works the same.

If you choose to try it it will not hurt anything just hook up, stay in park, push the button watch the dash your truck will lower and then say Alt trailer height achieved. Once that shows up your golden. hop out and take a gander at how she sits in relation to your rig.

Doublegranch
01-31-2017, 08:57 PM
Bones:

Thanks for you patience and understanding...I will give it a try on the April Rally....it will be interesting to see if I notice any difference....

I appreciate your help as I am not 100% up to date on how all this works....

Bones
01-31-2017, 09:04 PM
Bones:

Thanks for you patience and understanding...I will give it a try on the April Rally....it will be interesting to see if I notice any difference....

I appreciate your help as I am not 100% up to date on how all this works....

Your welcome. If you have any more questions fire away.

Dave

szewczyk_john
02-01-2017, 04:01 AM

This was not a deal breaker for me. The truck that I was set to by from a local dealer did not have this option. Further research led me to Dulles of Leesburg and their truck just happened to have this option and the deal was even better. I more options and a better color for less money, then they offered me more money on my trade even though they only saw pictures of my truck send from my smartphone.

I had a real hard time finding a truck in my area and thought that I was going to be forced to custom order one. So many dealers order a decent truck but then do not get the $100 option of 4.10 gearing, or they don't put the towing mirrors on the truck.

With all this being said, I am certain that the salesman or the dealership was trying to meet a quota or bonus for the deal I got. After we completed the negotiations on numbers a sales agreement was written up and signed off, he demanded that the deal be finished by 1/28 and he even put that into the sales agreement.

I also wanted you to know that the air bag leveling system is not something that you can play with or observe unless you have substantial weight in the bed. If I push the button with no weight in it, I get some error message that the feature is not operable without weight in the cargo area.

Also wanted to comment about how the cabin seems to have so little noise in it. I have been in plenty of trucks and most of them sound like your in a truck. Not sure if the Laramie trim adds any extra insulation or noise reduction qualities but I am very pleased with how quiet it is. That is until the premium speakers get turned up, my blues sound oh so good.

Only drawback I have so far is storage. Going from the Mega Cab to Crew Cab means I gave up all that storage behind the back seat. I actually have 2 milk crates full of stuff, plus 2 moving blankets and a 12 volt compressor that we carried that there that is no room for.

Bones
02-01-2017, 06:45 AM
John,
Enjoy your new truck. You can always get a tool box to put your stuff in.

szewczyk_john
02-01-2017, 08:28 AM
No doubt I will be enjoying this one for years.I am currently pricing fuel & tool combo boxes. Even if I just settle on fuel tank, I can get an empty plastic tool box and strap in the bed since I ave the cover on the bed.

porthole
02-01-2017, 10:47 AM
Every tractor trailer that has air bags has a leveling valve or sensor installed in it. They automatically adjust the truck left to right up or down depending on weight load and angles.

Since I have rear air suspension, self leveling, I have looked at a bunch of tractors, especially at Dover speedway where there may be 30 or more high end tractors parked near our camp site. Every one had a single leveling valve controlling all four air bags.
That makes sense, since a tractor when loaded will have all of the load concentrated on the saddle, pretty much centered over the axles.

That said, when I did my air I installed two leveling valves, one for each side since the odds of a pickup being off loaded side to side are greater then a big rig.

On the Rams, what are they using for leveling? Are there one or two?

JWalker
02-01-2017, 11:45 AM
Only drawback I have so far is storage. Going from the Mega Cab to Crew Cab means I gave up all that storage behind the back seat. I actually have 2 milk crates full of stuff, plus 2 moving blankets and a 12 volt compressor that we carried that there that is no room for.

John, do they still have the storage bins under the floor mats in the rear crew cab? I found I was able to fit a lot of things in there. The one, I put a receiver hitch, recovery straps, ratchet straps etc. The other, I'm able to put a cordless impact wrench and a 12 V drill/driver. That freed up space under the rear seat for my Viair compressor, dog blankets and some odds and ends.

Oh, how do you like your exhaust brake or engine brake or variable turbo vane geometry adjusting brake? Whatever you want to call it. It's definitely a nice feature when you're hauling heavy loads.

szewczyk_john
02-01-2017, 11:53 AM
I believe it to be a one sensor unit meant to level front and rear not side to side. When I installed airbags one the 2500 I went with two Schrader valves, one for each bag, in case I ever had to level side to side. Had those bags for years and never once did I have to resort to different pressures for what I was towing. Keep in mind that I more than doubled the size of my house by enlarging the garage and a full 2 story additional over that garage. That addition was 14 wide by 36 deep. Everything was hauled in by me.

There are 2 videos on you tube and from what I can see, even the 1500 which has 4 corner airbags, the system is for front to back leveling and not side to side.

Ram intro (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GSgsVDPBGU4)

Ram Commercial (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z9SqB4pN2hM)

Johng1970
02-13-2017, 01:00 AM
Our new 3500 Ram 3500 Laramie Dually long box with high output cummins & asian transmission. 4.10 gearing, automatic rear air suspension, fifth wheel prep, tonneau cover rear back up camera with the cargo camera as well. This thing has so many options and toys that I am still trying to figure them all out. After looking at 4500s and a used 5500 from Classy Chassis, I came to my senses and bought this one. Color is called Maximum Steel metallic with black interior. Best description of the color that I have heard came from the sales man. He said it looks like new rebar used for cement work before it starts to rust up. Think bluish grey with that purplish tinting and in the sun this color really pops off the truck. In the shadows it looks black Deal was just too good to pass up plus they gave more for the old blue 2006 2500 Mega Cab then any local dealer that we drove 4 hours to get it. Dulles Dodge/Ram out of Leesburg Virginia.

Just drove it home yesterday and could not be happier. This beast has so much torque it is unbelievable, but the cabin is so quiet and comfortable. It is amazing.

Is that snow on the bed of the truck?

szewczyk_john
02-13-2017, 05:20 AM
I believe it was frosty that morning and where I park at work, that side would not have gotten sun yet.