3055RL Springs

shovelguy

While towing south from Banff Alberta, on Highway 22, and just south of Longview, Alberta, a car behind me begin flashing it's lights, then pulled in front of me, pointing to the side of the road, I stopped as soon as it was safe to do so, the driver of the other vehicle got out and said I had a tire smoking. My first thought was, "those #*%##* Chinese tries!!". Upon really looking things over, I found that the passenger side rear spring had broke at the center pin, allowing the the rear axle to rotate to the rear a bit, putting the rear tires out of alignment with the front tires, thus the rear tires were begin to burn off at the outer edge. The spring must of broke just before the car got behind me, as the rear tires were not even hot to the touch, except for that melted outer edge.
Good Sam, even though we did not have their roadside assistance program at that time, was able to get a wrecker dispatched from High River, about 60 miles away, and eventually, by chaining and blocking the axles together we were able to get back to Longview.
To make a very long story a bit shorter, Steve at Heartland's Warranty Department and Bill at Lippert, the maker of the suspension, were very helpful and accommodating, shipping the repair parts out on Friday, overnight delivery by UPS. Unfortunately, Canadian Customs were not so accommodating, as we did not get the parts until the following Wednesday afternoon. We were back on the road again by 8:00 pm that night, but had to cut the Montana leg of our vacation off.

By coincidence, we spent Thursday and Friday night at Blackwell Island RV park, in Couer D'Alene, Idaho, and just a row over from us was another 3055RL. So after getting hooked up, and a cold one disposed of, we wondered over to talk to the owners of the other 3055RL. It turned out that in May, while in California, they also broke a right rear spring.

On looking over the two suspensions, it appears the springs on both units are just about flat, with very little if any arch or bow to them. I have weighed the 5'ver twice since replacing the springs and have 10,450 pounds on the rear axles, which are rated at 6,000 pounds, so it does not seem to be over loaded.

Has any one else had any experience with broken springs?

Dean

gdog

gdog
Sorry to hear the news, Dean. After reading your post I went out with a flashlight and checked ours. We have an 09 3055. I did not see anything abnormal. I am curious to know what the manufacture date is on your axles. As well did you run into any abnormally rough roads?
gdog

shovelguy

Don;t know the date of manufacture of the axles, but the trialer was built in Sept. 07. We were not on any roads other than paved highways, and they were no rougher than normal. Do your springs have any bow or arch to them, and if so how much?

gdog

gdog
Does your 08 have the equaflex system on the springs? In looking at ours it is surprising to see how a spring could break, unless, of course, it was simply a fault in the spring itself.
gdog

shovelguy

Yes, we have the Equaflex by Trailaire suspension, which consists of springs over both axles, with the both of the standard center spring hangers replaced by rubber bushing assembly, that the front of the rear spring and the rear of the front spring attach to, and is supposed to even out the ride.
Dean

gdog

gdog
My springs have a small upward bend to them, but not a lot. Our old fifth wheel springs had quite a bend to them, however they were much longer than the bighorns.
If I get a chance tomorrow I will measure the deflection in the springs and send the measurement to you. The manufacture date of the axles will be stamped on the front of the axle itself.
gdog

Uncle Rog

shovel, you might want to check in with the folks at Lippert, as I have found out, they seem pretty receptive to owning up to problems and fixing them. Your broken spring sounds like a real good reason to make the call..................

MMToo

Our rear wheels looked wrong the first time we took off. I noticed it about 2 blocks from home. The problem was the welds on the axle to the platform the springs attached to were faulty and allowed the axle to turn about 90 degrees. We got it to the dealer (very slowly) and they swapped out the axle in about an hour and we were on our way. I'm sure there would have been smoke if we had made the interstate.
MMToo