Lippert Aluminum Stair Model

cdensomnia

Does anyone know the model of the aluminum stairs that would be a direct replacement for those of us with the old style stairs? I know a few have upgraded and wanted to make sure I got the right model.

Last edited by a moderator:

cdensomnia

I found these...http://a.co/dOSNoCx

Any idea if there are different sizes? I just want to make sure what I purchase will actually fit? I think I am more concerned about the width to make sure they bolt in correctly.

Nabo

Southeast Region Director-Retired
These are pretty standard to fit most 5th wheels' stair well. You will have to measure the width of your stairwell and contact Lippert about which is the correct size. It took 2 people to change them out but it was pretty straight forward in doing it.

danemayer

You need to measure the box into which the steps fit. The box is probably 27 or 27.5". The Alumi-Tread steps are 27.5". It's possible to squeeze the 27.5 steps into a 27 box. Lippert did that on ours, but the steps always had a bit of a bind when folded up or down.

I just installed the 25.5" Glowstep Revolution steps with spacer kits to close the space inside the box. More expensive, but much nicer than the Alumi-Tread. They adjust to several positions to fit the terrain and sit securely on the ground so there's no flex or bounce. A number of people on the forum have recently installed the 27.5" Glowstep Revolution without spacer kits. At least one person made it fit into a 27" box.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
You need to measure the box into which the steps fit. The box is probably 27 or 27.5". The Alumi-Tread steps are 27.5". It's possible to squeeze the 27.5 steps into a 27 box. Lippert did that on ours, but the steps always had a bit of a bind when folded up or down.

I just installed the 25.5" Glowstep Revolution steps with spacer kits to close the space inside the box. More expensive, but much nicer than the Alumi-Tread. They adjust to several positions to fit the terrain and sit securely on the ground so there's no flex or bounce. A number of people on the forum have recently installed the 27.5" Glowstep Revolution without spacer kits. At least one person made it fit into a 27" box.

Dan's right, the Glowstep Revolution steps are definitely an upgrade. The Lippert Aluminum tread steps are lighter then the OEM. But they won't solve the issue of dealing with unlevel sites (having to add a separate step, or having the last step too close to the ground).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

porthole

Retired

Perhaps your steps were bad. Both of my steps were replaced by Lippert (I did the work, they shipped two sets out, no charge).
Mine were binding and required an excessive amount of force to open.

The Lippert steps fit in the toy hauler without cutting out the top bar that was done on many of the non TH trailers at Goshen.

I found these...http://a.co/dOSNoCx

Any idea if there are different sizes? I just want to make sure what I purchase will actually fit? I think I am more concerned about the width to make sure they bolt in correctly.

Don't know about different sizes, but you definitely want the 4 step version for a Cyclone.

- - - Updated - - -

Dan's right, the Glowstep Revolution steps are definitely an upgrade. The Lippert Aluminum tread steps are lighter then the OEM. But they won't solve the issue of dealing with unlevel sites (having to add a separate step, or having the last step too close to the ground).

Did you get the 4 step version?
I have not used the extra ground step since putting the 4 tread step unit on (with the front door, the rear door has always been an issue).

And I have never had a step "too close to the ground".

Almost on the ground, maybe even touching, but LevelUp can take care of that if it was an issue.

- - - Updated - - -

My steps.

https://heartlandowners.org/showthr...s?p=429451&highlight=lippert+steps#post429451

- - - Updated - - -

Besides the advantage of the 4th step, the overall rise from step to step into the trailer was reduced some, also a benefit.

TravelTiger

porthole;And I have never had a step "too close to the ground". Almost on the ground said:
By "too close to the ground", I mean that the last step is closer to the ground than the rise between steps. To me, that's not good. We went in countless RVs at the D/FW shows, which in Texas are inside a convention center, so the floors are level and all units are on equal footing. Many steps had unequal steps sizes for the last step to the ground. All of the steps flexed, except the GlowStep and the MorRyde step that have feet that contact the ground.

Because you'll hardly ever get a perfectly level site, it's worth considering that an adjustable step system (Like the Glowstep) is an upgrade to the standard stationary steps that are on most units, because it does an excellent job at equalizing the step size (no more extra portable step needed), and almost eliminating the flex/bounce/creak when entering/exiting the rig.

porthole

Retired
Well, I find that a typical 5th wheel, especially those with drop frames and 3 step entry have an absurd 'rise' between the ground and first step. Even the 4 step LM and BH's have a tall entry to overcome.

Having the first step up from the ground at maybe 2-6 inches is far better then trying to get up a 12" or more first step.

As for the Lippert steps, I find the flex to be minimal, even on the bottom step. In fact, this 4 step version has almost no flex compared to my previous 3 step all steel assembly.

RV shows are the worse. The first Hershey show I was at as a club member, sitting at the club booth I saw a woman take a header coming out of a trailer and completely mis-judging that last step. Had to be at least 15-16" off the ground if not more.

It was not a Heartland product.

- - - Updated - - -

adjustable step system (Like the Glowstep)

Does that mean the steps adjust to different trailer to ground heights?

TravelTiger

Well, I find that a typical 5th wheel, especially those with drop frames and 3 step entry have an absurd 'rise' between the ground and first step. Even the 4 step LM and BH's have a tall entry to overcome.

Having the first step up from the ground at maybe 2-6 inches is far better then trying to get up a 12" or more first step.

As for the Lippert steps, I find the flex to be minimal, even on the bottom step. In fact, this 4 step version has almost no flex compared to my previous 3 step all steel assembly.

RV shows are the worse. The first Hershey show I was at as a club member, sitting at the club booth I saw a woman take a header coming out of a trailer and completely mis-judging that last step. Had to be at least 15-16" off the ground if not more.

It was not a Heartland product.

- - - Updated - - -

Does that mean the steps adjust to different trailer to ground heights?

Yes.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=bj26I8MYE-U

mlpeloquin

I have the GlowStep and once you have a very stable step, you really notice the difference on the steps that do not go tho the ground. We went on a outing with our friends to Lake Havasu for the Balloon Festival. Went in and out of my friends Big Country and nearly launched myself on the steps going out. I forgot just how bouncy they are. If you really have your mind made up about getting the Lippert steps, you may want to wait for the Goshen rally. Their maybe a discount for all Heartland owners on many manufactures products. Check with the national rally site to see if Lippert is offering discounts and then give them a call.

porthole

Retired
So, how does a step assembly that may have a different rise between every tread on every deployment make it better then a step that only has a different rise from the ground to first step?

I'm not saying one is better then the other, but your description brought up the rise :rolleyes:

TravelTiger

So, how does a step assembly that may have a different rise between every tread on every deployment make it better then a step that only has a different rise from the ground to first step?

I'm not saying one is better then the other, but your description brought up the rise :rolleyes:

If the last step to the ground is more than the others, it makes an uncomfortable step up, or down. Many folks carry an extra freestanding step to accommodate this.

If the step is too close to the ground, it can be awkward as well, especially if you can't see the steps as you move down/up them (carrying groceries, a large box, etc). I've twisted my ankle this way.

If the steps are even, it's easier for your brain to figure out where the steps are without seeing them.

porthole

Retired
If the last step to the ground is more than the others, it makes an uncomfortable step up, or down. Many folks carry an extra freestanding step to accommodate this.

If the step is too close to the ground, it can be awkward as well, especially if you can't see the steps as you move down/up them (carrying groceries, a large box, etc). I've twisted my ankle this way.

If the steps are even, it's easier for your brain to figure out where the steps are without seeing them.

If the original poster is following this, trying to figure what if any step assembly is the best option for his rig - you didn't answer my question.

danemayer

Perhaps your steps were bad. Both of my steps were replaced by Lippert (I did the work, they shipped two sets out, no charge).
Mine were binding and required an excessive amount of force to open.

The Lippert steps fit in the toy hauler without cutting out the top bar that was done on many of the non TH trailers at Goshen.

When Lippert installed the 4 step Alumi Tread at the 2015 Goshen Rally, the 27 1/2" steps wouldn't fit into the 27" box. To force it, they deformed the box about 1/4" and squeezed the steps into place. As I was preparing to install the Glowstep unit, I had to take measurements and on close inspection and measurement, I saw that the Lippert Alumi Tread side rails were forced toward one another 1/4" at the top, which was what was creating the bind.

Unfortunately I wasn't present when they installed the steps or I would have understood the problem right from the gitgo.

TravelTiger

If the original poster is following this, trying to figure what if any step assembly is the best option for his rig - you didn't answer my question.

What question didn't I answer?

Maybe we need to have "entry step races" in Goshen, see which version is easier to navigate. ;)