New To Me 2012 F350

Bought my travel trailer last year in May and stupidly bought more than I should have been towing with my 03 Yukon Denali. The TT empty is about 7200 lbs. (800 lbs. less than the max I could tow with the Denali) so I traveled with zero water in the TT and pulled out the 3rd row seat in the Yukon to save weight. Even so, with me, the dog, firewood, food, chairs, bbq, clothes and other tools/gear, when I took it to the scales I was about 100 lbs. over limit. I only towed it within a 60 mile radius and never (not even once) on the highway. Mostly stop and go traffic around 40 mph. The trailer pushed my car around and it was miserable... I HATED it.

My plan was to wait until year end for the best deals on a used truck but the Dash on the old Denali started lighting up like a Christmas tree with all kinds of problems (including the auto ride system breaking down due to the trailer weight) so I started looking in August instead. I was looking for a Ford F250 and I absolutely wanted a Diesel. Months of scouring a 200 mile area for the right truck (many weekends driving from FL to AL ) were leaving me feeling deflated .... and then one day the perfect truck fell into my lap and it was right here in locally in Destin, best part.... it wasn't a 250 but a 350.

Towing is a whole new world now... I don't even know the trailer is back there. I'm so happy I took my time and waited for the right Truck.
Anyway, she's used but she's mine and I absolutely LOVE my F350... Diesel baby!!!
IMG_0506.jpg

pegmikef

You will love it. I have had a 2013 for four years not and used mostly for towing my fiver. With the light trailer of yours, be careful because with the torque of your F350, it can probably climb a wall. Steep grades (i.e., like some of the eleven percenters in Arkansas will not even slow it down.

NICE!!! Might not fit in your garage though...

Funny you should mention that. I haven't tried to put it in the garage yet as I've been trying to clean out the garage for a few months. Here are the numbers:

Vehicle spec for 156 wheelbase: Overall Length = 246" --- My garage, wall to door clearance (accounting for hurricane brace) = 248"

Vehicle height = 80.8" ---- My garage at lowest entry point = 83"

Those are just spec numbers and my measurements so I could be off but even if I'm not and it does by some miracle fit... it's going to be tight. I'm already budgeting to have the interior wall moved in by a foot. It may take me a while to save the money but I'll do it if that's what it takes because I live 4 houses from the water and the salt air is murder on vehicles.

First world problems right? :cool:

- - - Updated - - -

You will love it. I have had a 2013 for four years not and used mostly for towing my fiver. With the light trailer of yours, be careful because with the torque of your F350, it can probably climb a wall. Steep grades (i.e., like some of the eleven percenters in Arkansas will not even slow it down.

I absolutely DO love it!!! My biggest hurdle with it is the turning radius. Even in my big SUV I could make some pretty big corrections in very little space. LOL... not with this truck. Small corrections work but typically if I'm off, it's a complete re-do in terms of pull all the way out, adjust and try again :D

MallardHead

Bought my travel trailer last year in May and stupidly bought more than I should have been towing with my 03 Yukon Denali. The TT empty is about 7200 lbs. (800 lbs. less than the max I could tow with the Denali) so I traveled with zero water in the TT and pulled out the 3rd row seat in the Yukon to save weight. Even so, with me, the dog, firewood, food, chairs, bbq, clothes and other tools/gear, when I took it to the scales I was about 100 lbs. over limit. I only towed it within a 60 mile radius and never (not even once) on the highway. Mostly stop and go traffic around 40 mph. The trailer pushed my car around and it was miserable... I HATED it.

My plan was to wait until year end for the best deals on a used truck but the Dash on the old Denali started lighting up like a Christmas tree with all kinds of problems (including the auto ride system breaking down due to the trailer weight) so I started looking in August instead. I was looking for a Ford F250 and I absolutely wanted a Diesel. Months of scouring a 200 mile area for the right truck (many weekends driving from FL to AL ) were leaving me feeling deflated .... and then one day the perfect truck fell into my lap and it was right here in locally in Destin, best part.... it wasn't a 250 but a 350.

Towing is a whole new world now... I don't even know the trailer is back there. I'm so happy I took my time and waited for the right Truck.
Anyway, she's used but she's mine and I absolutely LOVE my F350... Diesel baby!!!
View attachment 49633
Who Hoo!!!! Your story sounds just like mine to a degree.... I wanted a diesel but the budget I set did not have that in the cards but like you I also just purchased a 2012 F350 6.2L (gas) with a 2 inch level.... I can't wait to see how it tows ours ...2017 Mallard M32 (6907# dry and 8600#gvwr)...
ea678710361ead89a743596a0d511979.jpg

Kevin & Kandy Jones
HOC Member #3501
2017 Mallard M32

TxRoadWarrior362

Congrats! I too have a 2012 F-350 srw, 4x4, long bed, diesel. Love the truck. I bought mine used last Oct.
We call it the red rocket. Lol. :cool:

Enjoy