Votes: 1 8.3%
  • monthly under carriage washings

Votes: 4 33.3%
  • do nothing

Votes: 6 50.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

szewczyk_john

So I just wanted to gauge everyone's experience with taking care of our new vehicles, regardless if it is our tow vehicles or just a car used for daily transportation. I just bought a new tow vehicle and I have never used rustproofing services but I am considering it on my new towing beast, a 2017 Ram 3500 Laramie dually. How many use zeibart or other rustproofing services? Other undercoating services? Just a monthly car wash with under carriage cleaning abilities? nothing special? I am interested to see the results. I thought that I took pretty good care of my 2006 but rust got the better of it in the end. So how do you protect your investment? Are these services worth the added expense?

I did a search of the forum and did not find any previous posts nor polls on this subject.

danemayer

I looked into undercoating many years ago in Maryland. The service proclaimed a guarantee against rust for some period of time and it seemed very attractive. Then I asked what remedy the guarantee provided. They promised a refund but the guarantee would not address repairs.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Years ago I had Zeibart and for a number of reasons I was not happy with them. Things may have changed since then.
Do check out having your truck sprayed with a product called Fluid Film. Not real expensive but does require application each fall and possibly spring. It is possible to be a DIY.
Check with Jon H.

Peace
Dave

travelin2

Pennsylvania Chapter Leaders-retired
Definitely interested in this subject.

Your RAM shouldn't rust sitting in the garage all winter!!! You're like Holbert putting your rig on mothballs all winter...LOL!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

porthole

Retired
Well John, with a DRW your car wash options are limited. How far is a Blue Beacon from you? Don't know what they actually do, but they advertise a chassis wash for salt removal.

Having been in new car service for many years I am against undercoating or ziebarting or any of those type of coatings. First off they don't really work and have actually caused damaged.
Working on them really sucks. And as Cookie brought up, the warranty isn't much better then a brake light warranty. Even factory warranties on rust only cover actual perforation damage.

That said, Fluid film seems to get pretty good reviews. Maybe it works well and maybe the fact the it requires periodic re-treatment is why it works.
I didn't do anything to my Ford and the rust is evident.

I had always planned on using a garden sprinkler on the truck but never did. That is something popular around here with folks the take their trucks on the beach.
One of those sweep back forth types, slid under the truck, give it a good soaking.

- - - Updated - - -

Your RAM shouldn't rust sitting in the garage all winter!!! You're like Holbert putting your rig on mothballs all winter...LOL!!

Well said !!!!

jnbhobe

:confused::confused::confused: I don't understand, what you talkin about????

Fluid film works real good but you should respray in the fall. It's not real expensive to do. Around here it costs between $100 and $150 and that is drilling the doors and tailgate.

Bones

I'm attaching myself to this thread. Can you just spray the fluid flim on without any prep work?

jnbhobe

I would make sure the frame is somewhat clean the same with the wheel wells but you can watch this stuff soaked right into the metal I have used it on my last two vehicles in the spring I'll probably do my two new ones

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

szewczyk_john

I thought that this poll/thread would attract more interest. I think I found my answer last night. There is a one off company in the South Hills of Pittsburgh called Rust Repair, Inc . I visited them yesterday and they showed me the product and how it is applied and a truck that was done 4 years ago. So the have the underneath of the truck as one service and then the body panels as another. They are offering a special for $699.00 for both, it is normally over $1000.00. That price includes a free yearly inspection. If any issues are found during the yearly checkup, the descale the entire area, treat it chemically, and then reapply their protection product. I was very impressed and the GMC that was there for it's inspection looked real good from underneath. They said you can drop you vehicle off in the morning and then pick it up late afternoon. So my next step is to get the auxiliary fuel tank done first and then I'll schedule this company to do their complete service.

Last edited by a moderator:

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
I'm attaching myself to this thread. Can you just spray the fluid flim on without any prep work?
The guy around here that does it, like recently mentioned by Porthole, uses a lawn sprinkler for flushing the underside of the truck.
So I guess that it needs to be at least reasonably clean.

Peace
Dave

Westwind

I don't know how long you keep your vehicles but the last vehicle I had a rust problem on was a 1969 Pontiac Lemans, it also had a leaky rear window that required body work. 2nd was my 2000 Toyota Pickup, loved that truck but didn't like the fact that Toyota had faulty frames which they paid dearly to repair and replace.
I usually hang on to my vehicles for 10+ years, frequent periodic under carriage washings seem to help, on our fifth wheel I've found not only periodic washings but I've had to paint the frame with Rustoleum since the factory finish is use less. Especially if we get caught on roadways that have been treated during our trip to Florida each winter.
I cannot afford nor would I (if I could) invest in any type of rust treatment, you might as well flush money down the drain.

szewczyk_john

Truth be told, I grew up in the same area that the business is currently located in. I spoke to my Mother's neighbors and friends and even stopped by a nearby bar and asked around about it. I also spoke to 4 different friends that all work in the automotive body repair business, one of which is an owner, and they all agree hat it is a good idea. I heard nothing negative. My belief is doing something that only cost $700.00 to try to protect the value of that window sticker price is a no brainer. Even if it just delays the start of rusting, I will consider it money well spent. I have been underneath the truck and I do not see any bare metal, but the coating that the factory applied is oh so thin. I will pay the money and follow up with the free annual inspections. I will be at the National Rally in Goshen, probably right by the entrance and the rail road tracks, the same as last time. stop by and see what I "wasted" my $700.00 bucks on. I plan on getting the dually depot auxiliary fuel tank added first and then the rustproofing. I also plan on getting between 10-15 years out of this truck. I got 12 years out of the 2006 that was purchased in July of 2005, and I got a fair trade in value. That is what is driving my thought process.

travelin2

Back in the day, 70's, I had a car then a pickup Zeibarted. Car held up well, truck box not so much. My current SD, now 4 plus years old with 84K miles, is holding up well without any commercial treatment. It has seen winter treated roads and salt air along the coasts. Other than the drive shaft and some steering components there's little sign of rust underneath. I pressure wash the undercarriage regularly or select the undercarriage wash using a drive thru, mine's a SRW. If you're washing the visible exterior, best to address the unseen as well.
IMO, I think today's finishes withstand corrosives better than previous ones.

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
Being from Michigan originally (where they used salt on the roads in the winter), we used to always get our vehicles undercoated.

Usually gave the body a few more years before they looked old and full of holes.

Here in Colorado, I can spot a vehicle from Michigan, Illinois or Wisconsin a mile away!

Usually rusted out around the seams . . .

travelin2

Should'a bought a DRW :rolleyes:

Maybe next time! But since I'm not addicted to that new truck smell, I'll keep this one awhile yet. Likely when I do buy a DRW, the diesel engine will sit aft of those DRWs!!!

murry135

New York Chapter Leaders - retired
Undercoating is all hype. Just move to Florida for the winter and all is good.:cool:

Dennyha

As a 30+ year experienced metallurgist, I assure you that nothing you spray onto your vehicle will soak into the metal. If the metal on your truck absorbs liquids, you have a much bigger problem than rust.
The first line of defense against automotive rust is the galvanizing performed by the auto manufacturers. The quality of their galvanizing lines has greatly improved over the years, and as a result, aftermarket "rustproofing" vendors have mostly dried up compared to 10 years ago. Of coarse, anything you can do to help such as washing off salt, and waxing/sealing to help with building a barrier to the painted surface will help delay and slow the progress of any rust. Sealing/painting of paint nicks is also critical, as a small break in the barrier will tend to rust faster than if you had no paint at all.