Anyone used GS Pilot/Flying J travel card

Nabo

Southeast Region Director-Retired
With spring fast approaching and a massive cross country trip being planned, has anyone used the Good Sam's Pilot/Flying J membership card and or RV Plus Charge Card to get the discounts at the pumps? GS/Pilot Flying J offers two different types of cards; the deluxe members card with a little discount or the RV Plus Charge Card which has better discounts. Who has used one or both of these card, the plus's in using it but more important, any negative or bad experience with them. Any experiences would be greatly appreciated.

Bones

With spring fast approaching and a massive cross country trip being planned, has anyone used the Good Sam's Pilot/Flying J membership card and or RV Plus Charge Card to get the discounts at the pumps? GS/Pilot Flying J offers two different types of cards; the deluxe members card with a little discount or the RV Plus Charge Card which has better discounts. Who has used one or both of these card, the plus's in using it but more important, any negative or bad experience with them. Any experiences would be greatly appreciated.

If you use the Good sam discount card you have to walk into the office and prepay and get your discount. If you have the credit card I think you can just pay at the pumps and still get a discount.

BigGuy82

Just how significant is the discount? Is it worth going out of the way for? If it's 2 cents a gallon, I'm sure not wasting time looking.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

MCTalley

We have a Pilot/Flying J RV customer "rewards" card (independent of Good Sam) that we use to get a 3 cent per gallon discount all the time. In addition, I typically pay with either my American Express Blue Preferred card (3% back on all gas purchases) or, when in season, my Chase Freedom card (5% back on up to $1500 in fuel purchases during select three month periods, like Jan-Mar of 2017).

I won't go out of my way to hit a Pilot/Flying J since the majority of my savings are via the credit card perks.

danemayer

I've been using the RV Plus Card for a while. I typically use it in the truck lanes. The control code (PIN) authorizes it outside. So it avoids a pre-authorization walk inside and the need to leave my credit card inside as happens at many other truck stops. Because it's not a credit card, and you pay monthly via bank account debit, they pass along the pump's cash price, less the Good Sam discount of $.06 on diesel. So pricing is more competitive. I'm sure you can still get a few cents per gallon better deal if you use an app like GasBuddy. But at smaller stations you never know about age or quality of the fuel, or how good the access is when towing.

Apart from the card, using the truck lanes at Pilot/Flying J gets me bulk DEF fill up at a much lower price. $2.79/gallon beats paying $11-13 for a 2.5 gallon jug at most Walmarts ($4.40 - $5.20/gallon). The savings on DEF far exceeds any difference you're likely to find in the price of diesel.

I'm sure you can occasionally find DEF on sale and you could stock up. But using old DEF is an invitation to DEF quality issues.

So my net is that it is convenient, it helps with fuel cost, and using Pilot/Flying J truck lanes really helps with DEF cost.

Nabo

I was talking with one of the Pilot/Flying J representative at the rv show last month and this is what she sent me:

Per our conversation I wanted to send you an email with some details on the Swipe N Save/Loyalty Card & RV Plus Card. Please feel free to call me if you have any questions.

·[FONT=&quot] Must be a Good Sam Member to qualify for RV discounts[/FONT]

Good Sam Swipe N Save & Pilot Loyalty Cards

- Good Sam Membership Card
-Both Earn you 3 cents off Gas/Diesel Fuel
-Works alongside your credit card

RV Plus Card
-Fuel Charge Card
-*Fuel discounts are reflected off of the CASH PRICE when using RV Plus Card
-*Fuel discounts are based on level of Good Sam Membership*
-Exclusively at Pilot Flying J
-At Least 4 cents off every gallon of gas
-At least 6 cents off every gallon of diesel
-Propone Discounts
-Dump Fee Discounts
-So single transaction limit
-Pay at the pump, all lanes including truck diesel lanes

When I was asking about pay at the pump or inside, she wasn't sure. The plus card states that you can pay at the pump but how is billing handled?

travelin2

Pennsylvania Chapter Leaders-retired
Much cheaper fuel out there than Flying J & Pilot. I re-fuel at non-truck stop stations without issue, but that's me.
That's my 2 cents worth!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jassson007

Founding Louisiana Chapter Leaders-Retired
We use it. They email us a statement in months that we use it and pay via debit to our account

pegmikef

I only use my plus card if I am forced to fuel up in the truck lanes. As Dan says with this you don't have to go inside and put up a card as collateral. Day to day though, I use my Sam's Club MasterCard as it provides a 5 percent rebate for fuel at any pump (not just Sam's). The rebate is paid annually in February. It also pays a 3 percent rebate for travel (e.g., rv parks, restaurants, vehicle service) and one percent on all other purchases. My rebate this year was $360 so it does add up.

BigGuy82

I'm just a Good Sam Member (the regular old member, not DeLuxe). I don't have a Flying J credit card. According to the Flying J website, the savings is $.03/gallon. I have a 67 gallon tank meaning if I'm bone dry, $.03/ gallon saves me $2.01. Better than a sharp stick in the eye but only if they are price competitive with other stations. Also, I don't like the whole pre-approval nonsense and I especially don't like leaving the credit card at the desk. End of the day, really not worth it to me.

I could use other credit cards but I am a Marriott Rewards junkie - we travel overseas as well as camp in the US.

- - - Updated - - -

Much cheaper fuel out there than Flying J & Pilot. I re-fuel at non-truck stop stations without issue, but that's me.
That's my 2 cents worth!!!

I only do that if the rig is not attached - had too many problems with tight situations in non-truck stops.

Nabo

We prefer not to get a credit card. Right now we only have one credit card for emergency so getting another credit card, even for rebates, is out of the question. 99% of the time, we pay as we go so that was why the hesitation about getting the RV plus card.

jassson007

We prefer not to get a credit card. Right now we only have one credit card for emergency so getting another credit card, even for rebates, is out of the question. 99% of the time, we pay as we go so that was why the hesitation about getting the RV plus card.

It is more like the charge cards of old, you have to pay in full each month.

MCTalley

Other than an occasional Mom & Pop truck stop, I've never been asked to leave a credit card at the counter. With the major brands, you can go in and swipe your card for a pre-authorization amount. I usually over-estimate what I'll need by about 25%. They will give you a receipt for that amount, you go outside (with your credit card in wallet) and fill up. If you don't walk back in to get a final receipt, their equipment automatically charges you only for what you put in. Most T/A truck stops still make you come back in and sign a final receipt (that is printed on old-school dot matrix printers) so I'll avoid those.

Yes, there are cheaper stations out there. If I'm on the road with the fiver in tow and need to get fuel, a truck stop it is. Some actually have usable RV pumps out front and I'll use those if possible. We typically try to unhook on an overnight stay, run the truck into town and fill it up somewhere cheaper if possible. Without an aux tank, though, that leaves us with about a 300-325 mile range the next day. However, we typically will stay under that figure on most drives.

- - - Updated - - -

Given that scenario, the next time you are in a Pilot or Flying J, ask for one of their RV Customer cards. At least you'll get 3 cents per gallon off on diesel at the pump.

Roller4tan

I have the RV Plus Card and use it on occasion while travelling. I'll never understand, with the volume that they do, why Pilot/Flying J prices are so high. TA and Loves aren't much better. If possible, I'll unhook at an overnight stay and run into town.

travelin2

Pennsylvania Chapter Leaders-retired
Just to support my comment regarding pricing, currently at home Flying J is $2.99/gal whereas other big rig friendly stations are $2.77.
I have one of their cards. Used it once. No discount. When I questioned clerk, I received a sorry we don't honor. So like they say, "once bit..."
Like many things, it's a matter of personal choice.

Nabo

"If I'm on the road with the fiver in tow and need to get fuel, a truck stop it is. Some actually have usable RV pumps out front and I'll use those if possible. We typically try to unhook on an overnight stay, run the truck into town and fill it up somewhere cheaper if possible. Without an aux tank, though, that leaves us with about a 300-325 mile range the next day. However, we typically will stay under that figure on most drives."

We usually do the same Malcolm. However back when we were both working, and before we got the aux tank, we have been known to pull 14 hour days (we both drive) to get to a location. That meant several fill-ups within that time period so truck stops it was.

Ya'll have reminded me of the old time credit cards idea that were paid in full at the end of the month which is similar to the rv plus card. This might be an option since there's no carry over charges.

Any other plus' or minus'?

jassson007

"If I'm on the road with the fiver in tow and need to get fuel, a truck stop it is. Some actually have usable RV pumps out front and I'll use those if possible. We typically try to unhook on an overnight stay, run the truck into town and fill it up somewhere cheaper if possible. Without an aux tank, though, that leaves us with about a 300-325 mile range the next day. However, we typically will stay under that figure on most drives."

We usually do the same Malcolm. However back when we were both working, and before we got the aux tank, we have been known to pull 14 hour days (we both drive) to get to a location. That meant several fill-ups within that time period so truck stops it was.

Ya'll have reminded me of the old time credit cards idea that were paid in full at the end of the month which is similar to the rv plus card. This might be an option since there's no carry over charges.

Any other plus' or minus'?

We still travel like that as I am still connected to a J O B that does not give me summers off. We can and have done from our home park to goshen (20 hr total drive) in two days with time to spare on the second day. So we always look for truck stops. Also we don't normally stay in parks till we get where we are going. For us it works as you can budget and pay for a trip instead of putting it in a credit card or using a debit card and possibly getting it stolen. We too only carry one card, my Amex and are finding some places won't even take it but it too has to be paid each month.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
We found the RV lanes at the Pilot/Flying J are not always so RV friendly for long rigs. Exiting has lots of obstacles. And we've found, Since there's only 1 or 2 pumps, the wait behind another RV can be longer than going through truck lanes. (They gotta walk the dog, go inside for snacks, etc etc) I didn't realize the card also works in the truck lanes, so that's good.

Since we have 100 gal tank, we hardly ever fill with trailer in tow anymore.

Nabo

I agree with you in that the diesel pumps up front labeled for cars/rvs are not friendly when we are pulling the camper therefore we always head to the truck lanes. Sometimes the truck lanes can be a problem as well in that the driver is doing other things inside (eating, bathroom run and have even had one who decided to take a shower) which the station wasn't monitoring the lanes. Still traveling in a area of the country that we are not familiar with, truck stops, whether Pilot/Flying J, T/A, Petro or Loves, near major roads and interstates is a safer bet. If we can get a little discount on fueling is a bonus which is why asking about the GS member/Pilot Flying J program. If I remember correctly, no other truck stops offer discounts.

BigGuy82

Other than an occasional Mom & Pop truck stop, I've never been asked to leave a credit card at the counter. With the major brands, you can go in and swipe your card for a pre-authorization amount. I usually over-estimate what I'll need by about 25%. They will give you a receipt for that amount, you go outside (with your credit card in wallet) and fill up. If you don't walk back in to get a final receipt, their equipment automatically charges you only for what you put in. Most T/A truck stops still make you come back in and sign a final receipt (that is printed on old-school dot matrix printers) so I'll avoid those.

Yes, there are cheaper stations out there. If I'm on the road with the fiver in tow and need to get fuel, a truck stop it is. Some actually have usable RV pumps out front and I'll use those if possible. We typically try to unhook on an overnight stay, run the truck into town and fill it up somewhere cheaper if possible. Without an aux tank, though, that leaves us with about a 300-325 mile range the next day. However, we typically will stay under that figure on most drives.

- - - Updated - - -

Given that scenario, the next time you are in a Pilot or Flying J, ask for one of their RV Customer cards. At least you'll get 3 cents per gallon off on diesel at the pump.

Actually, our last trip down south, I had to leave my card with the cashier probably 5-6 times. In fact one brand, and I don't recall which brand this was (5 months ago), would not accept VISA (you heard right VISA - any VISA) unless you walked in, left the card and then filled up. And about their equipment automatically charging you the correct amount by refunding the overage if you overcharge? Good luck with that - I'm still arguing with VISA and a gas station in Alabama about that one (no, I didn't walk back in to get the receipt and I shouldn't have to walk in at all - it's a credit card and there's a reader on the pump). Also, using the "leave the card" or "charge it inside first" method, I had a double charge down in Florida - that was easier to fix because it was double to the penny.

Now, if you want to give them a certain amount, they can do that, but you cannot fill up without leaving the card, Your in the wallet method works great if you don't mind making two trips. And I rarely use Mom & Pop anything - I want fresh fuel.

Lot's of folks don't mind doing this nonsense - I do. I'm busy filling the truck, checking the rig, doing route planning, etc. Yes, I use the rest rom but that's only one trip, not two.