Fireplace malfunction Big Country 4010RD

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
All,

We've had our rig just a few days past our 1 year warranty. Today, the fireplace stopped working -- I turned it on, as a do often in the morning during this winter, and it came on, as usual. I walked away for a couple of minutes and when I walked back into the room, I could see the where the air blows out was glowing bright red (it doesn't normally) so I quickly ran over and turned the unit off. I also realized the fan was not blowing from the fireplace like it should (it did when turned on moments before). It was also emitting a burning smell, almost a burning wiring or plastic smell. I unplugged the unit. The plug was not hot, and no issues with the plug that I could see.

I have read on Facebook of other 4010RD owner having similar experiences.

I have an email in to Heartland/Jamie Justis, whom I'm dealing with on some other minor warranty claims, so hopefully we can get a satisfactory resolution.

The manual for this fireplace has no brand name on it, and no warranty info, contact info, or troubleshooting -- other than "Discontinue use if... unit smokes or smells like smoke."

rxbristol

Erika,

Go ahead and update it like I did. I've read, in this forum, and heard of two others, locally, having their fire place quit this year. I believe all of them had the Greystone variety. It seems like you may have a generic version of the same inexpensive fireplace. Replacing it with an infrared type is one of the better upgrades we've done.

Last edited:

alwaysbusy

Creeper,
I could be wrong, but I think I remember seeing a schematic of the fire places posted somewhere on the forum here. While I have never had mine apart, I remember the post speaking of how simple the insides are and relatively how easy they are to repair.

alwaysbusy

Creeper,
I could be wrong, but I think I remember seeing a schematic of the fire places posted somewhere on the forum here. While I have never had mine apart, I remember the post speaking of how simple the insides are and relatively how easy they are to repair.

Ok, this is too funny but just ignore my previous. I indeed found the post I was speaking of and it was not a schematic; but it was pictures of the inside that reminded me of a schematic. It was posted by rxbristol below. That's funny, but amazing I remembered that from 8-9-15. Sorry, I had a moment! LOL

TravelTiger

Erika,

Go ahead and update it like I did. I've read, in this forum, and heard of two others, locally, having their fire place quit this year. I believe all of them had the Greystone variety. It seems like you may have a generic version of the same inexpensive fireplace. Replacing it with an infrared type is one of the better upgrades we've done.

Rex, I've already looked for a replacement and the problem is that it's a weird size. Opening is 35.5 wide x 17.5 tall. I don't think it's a Greystone. It's not curved in any way, and no name on it at all.

08804779524c5f37ece4ba36d3092aba.jpg
(ignore the tv).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rxbristol

Erika, I see what you're talking about. My replacement was not as tall, but raising the fireplace and adding additional trim was fairly easy due to the type of wood surround, but yours would be more difficult without changing the trim totally out...that sucks.

Jim.Allison

I'm glad we opted out of the fireplace on the BC3650RL, we got all kind of cabinet space as a result and one less thing to maintain.

happykraut

Rex, I've already looked for a replacement and the problem is that it's a weird size. Opening is 35.5 wide x 17.5 tall. I don't think it's a Greystone. It's not curved in any way, and no name on it at all.
Erika, mine is 35x17, flat and it is a Greystone.

happykraut

Interesting! Can you take a pic? Does the manual have any info about warranty, or contact info?
Sorry I couln't get back to you sooner, but we were down at the SPI Kite Fest. Greystone has something to do with Way Inter Global. Not sure if theyFIREPLACE.jpg are the MFR. I have two contact numbers, but they are from 2013. 574-971-4490 and 866-328-4537. Hope that helps.

danemayer

Erika,

I'd call Heartland Parts and ask where they get the fireplace for your unit and if they have model # info.

Link to Graystone Fireplace
from Way Interglobal Network.

Also, page 178 of your brand new RVPro supplier guide has a list of fireplace suppliers.

TravelTiger

Erika,

I'd call Heartland Parts and ask where they get the fireplace for your unit and if they have model # info.

Link to Graystone Fireplace
from Way Interglobal Network.

Also, page 178 of your brand new RVPro supplier guide has a list of fireplace suppliers.

Thanks Dan, the manual has the model number, just no manufacturer/brand name.

In hoping It'll be covered under warranty since it was just a few days past our delivery 1yr anniversary.

If they refuse, I'll have to consider other options.

BigGuy82

Mine died while we were doing the PDI, so they fixed it before we left. Then, on the road, it worked until it didn't. Two days later, it decided to work again. Then when, we got back, it wasn't working again. Took it to the dealer, who replaced it under warranty. We'll see what happens on the next trip, but I'm not hugely confident. Great advice from the manufacturer - "Discontinue use if ... unit smokes or smells like smoke". Guess I won't run it to take the chill off while we sleep. Couple that with other complaints on this forum and it says "junk". So the solution is to either live with junk or spend a few hundred more for a good one.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

TravelTiger

Mine died while we were doing the PDI, so they fixed it before we left. Then, on the road, it worked until it didn't. Two days later, it decided to work again. Then when, we got back, it wasn't working again. Took it to the dealer, who replaced it under warranty. We'll see what happens on the next trip, but I'm not hugely confident. Great advice from the manufacturer - "Discontinue use if ... unit smokes or smells like smoke". Guess I won't run it to take the chill off while we sleep. Couple that with other complaints on this forum and it says "junk". So the solution is to either live with junk or spend a few hundred more for a good one.

I would consider changing, but in this case the fireplace fits a hole in the surrounding marble-look laminate. I have yet to find anything close to fit that size. The depth is also very shallow.

I think the fireplace worked very well for the space, I miss it very much already.

On the note of junk, I'm not sure you can say that. Our previous rig, we added a fireplace to it since the cabinet was prewired for one. We bought a Dimplex, which wasn't cheap. Twice the blower motor went out, luckily it had a 2 year warranty, and they shipped a replacement part to us. The third time it went out, we decide to replace the fireplace. Still bought a Dimplex because it was the only one that fit the space without modification, but it used an infrared heater, (again, not cheap) and the blower assembly was different. Don't know if it would last, as we traded the rig a month later!

BigGuy82

I would consider changing, but in this case the fireplace fits a hole in the surrounding marble-look laminate. I have yet to find anything close to fit that size. The depth is also very shallow.

I think the fireplace worked very well for the space, I miss it very much already.

On the note of junk, I'm not sure you can say that. Our previous rig, we added a fireplace to it since the cabinet was prewired for one. We bought a Dimplex, which wasn't cheap. Twice the blower motor went out, luckily it had a 2 year warranty, and they shipped a replacement part to us. The third time it went out, we decide to replace the fireplace. Still bought a Dimplex because it was the only one that fit the space without modification, but it used an infrared heater, (again, not cheap) and the blower assembly was different. Don't know if it would last, as we traded the rig a month later!

So what's a good one? If I have to spring for another one, I'd buy the best.

mlpeloquin

When out we used the fireplace all the time until I read how they could fail. While we are up and in the RV we use it, otherwise we use a short tower set on the shelf above the fireplace next to the television. We use the tower at night almost exclusively since it has a digital temperature setting and safety thermal switch. Just in case the short tower would not keep up, we set to furnace to 68 degrees to make sure. So far with temperatures as low as 42 degrees at night, our furnace has not turned on. The bedroom is warm, but the living room is around 68 degrees. The furnace does turn on when the temperature fall below 42 degrees outside. In the morning, we turn the fireplace on and run the furnace for one cycle set at 72 degrees. Most of the heating is done by electric.

BigGuy82

I don't know if this was mentioned before, but the factory unit in My Bighorn is made by Intertek, Model# WF1436, 36" Wall Mount. This is the booklet that came with the replacement one the dealer just installed. It states: This electric fireplace unit is equipped with a temperature limiting control device. Should the heater reach and unsafe temperature, the heater will automaticaly turn off."

"This thread started out with this quote: "We've had our rig just a few days past our 1 year warranty. Today, the fireplace stopped working -- I turned it on, as a do often in the morning during this winter, and it came on, as usual. I walked away for a couple of minutes and when I walked back into the room, I could see the where the air blows out was glowing bright red (it doesn't normally) so I quickly ran over and turned the unit off. I also realized the fan was not blowing from the fireplace like it should (it did when turned on moments before). It was also emitting a burning smell, almost a burning wiring or plastic smell. I unplugged the unit. The plug was not hot, and no issues with the plug that I could see." So much for the "temperature limiting control device". Just my opinion here - I think these things are dangerous. Be sure you are sitting in front of it when using.

No dimensions are given. Absolutely no manufacturer contact information. The Intertek you find on Google is a huge, multi-national testing company - pretty sure this isn't the Intertek that built this thing. Rated power = 1,500 watts. If anyone needs a copy I can send out a PDF.

BusManRG

They have been using these fireplaces in 5th wheels for many years now. Have I missed something? I can't remember reading anything about rv fires due to the fireplace. I will definitely be more aware from here on out, but curious if this has been an issue over the years? Or should I consider it the same risk as leaving any electric heater on and unattended?

Sandy

BigGuy82

They have been using these fireplaces in 5th wheels for many years now. Have I missed something? I can't remember reading anything about rv fires due to the fireplace. I will definitely be more aware from here on out, but curious if this has been an issue over the years? Or should I consider it the same risk as leaving any electric heater on and unattended?

Sandy

I don't know if they have been using this particular one. And perhaps it's not a huge problem. My thought is that one fire can ruin your whole day, so I won't leave it unattended. There's another article about an Intertek fireplace catching fire and filling the RV with smoke on this forum. I think fires can happen with any electric heater, but I've used them at home in my workshop for years and I believe them to be hugely reliable, assuming you buy a recognized brand - I've never heard of Intertek. For reasons previously stated, I don't trust this brand/model. However, anything can happen to any mechanical device.

TravelTiger

My instructions say:

36" Wall Mount Electric Fireplace Model# WW36WM.

No brand name on the instructions or on the fireplace itself.

It also says: "The appliance comes equipped with an overheat protection safety device. Should the appliance begin to overheat for any reason, it will automatically turn all functions of the appliance off. "

We never ran the unit overnight, but I have been out of the room with it running (like to take a shower.)