Wrong length cables for my patio deck!

schew

As I haven't had the chance to use my patio deck, I thought it would be a good idea to set up the patio and play around with it.
Turns out when the cables are attached and the ramp lowered, it only lowers about half the way , at roughly a 45° angle!
I'm fairly certain I used the correct mounting points- upper mounts are the gussets with holes located at the top of the door frames, and the bottom mounts are to the ramp theselves.
The cables seem to be about 4' short. They are approximately 8' long..

Anyone want to chime in with their cable lengths?

TxRoadWarrior362

As I haven't had the chance to use my patio deck, I thought it would be a good idea to set up the patio and play around with it.
Turns out when the cables are attached and the ramp lowered, it only lowers about half the way , at roughly a 45° angle!
I'm fairly certain I used the correct mounting points- upper mounts are the gussets with holes located at the top of the door frames, and the bottom mounts are to the ramp theselves.

I don't have my RW in the driveway, but they sound to short. Mine go from the top of the rear garage door frame to the end of the garage door when level to make the porch.

schew

I don't have my RW in the driveway, but they sound to short. Mine go from the top of the rear garage door frame to the end of the garage door when level to make the porch.

Thanks.
I'm in talks with Heartland at the moment.
They want to know the following measurements...
Top mount to ramp hinge, ramp hinge to ramp rigging point and the length of my cables.

Sounds like they are going to calculate and extrapolate a length for the cables needed but I find it awfully odd as I'm sure they would already have in place the use of a template for the attachment points. Its SOP for production building.
But I'm very happy that Heartland has jumped in immediately to resolve my issue.

TxRoadWarrior362

Thanks.
I'm in talks with Heartland at the moment.
They want to know the following measurements...
Top mount to ramp hinge, ramp hinge to ramp rigging point and the length of my cables.

Sounds like they are going to calculate and extrapolate a length for the cables needed but I find it awfully odd as I'm sure they would already have in place the use of a template for the attachment points. Its SOP for production building.
But I'm very happy that Heartland has jumped in immediately to resolve my issue.

It will look like this when level! Lol

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    184 KB · Views: 128

danemayer

Sounds like the pre-delivery walk through got skipped. Have you had a chance to try out the rest of the trailer features?

schew

Sounds like the pre-delivery walk through got skipped. Have you had a chance to try out the rest of the trailer features?
PDI and walk through wasn't skipped. But I visually noted the cables, and I have a comprehensive understanding about rigging as that's something I do at work.
Didn't think they would make the wrong length cables...

TxRoadWarrior362

PDI and walk through wasn't skipped. But I visually noted the cables, and I have a comprehensive understanding about rigging as that's something I do at work.
Didn't think they would make the wrong length cables...

small issue in the world of RV miscues. Longer cables will get you up and running

LBR

Our CY cables are doubled up with ramp door closed right now, but they measure 120" long...10' within an inch plus or minus....Hope this helps.

Not sure of their length, but you possibly were issued 2 cables for the side patio model deck by mistake...

schew

Danemayer,
Yes I've had the chance to try out the rest of the trailer. Took it on a 2000k+ mile trek to Wyoming for some Ek hunting not one day later after receiving the trailer. Never could get hot water on that rip and was stuck taking cold showers, finally figured it out once I got back home that someone never bothered to turned the winterization valve back off after checking it. I was upset at all the cold showers I had to take,but relieved the problem was solved.
Also, someone failed to properly tighten the pex connectors to both faucets, discovered that after seeing massive amounts of water on the floor, I freaked!!!

So you're from Pagosa Springs? There are some HUGE Mulies out where you live! I've hunted numeous times just south of you in New Mexico and loved going to the Patio Cafe for some great food in Ignacio...

- - - Updated - - -

Our CY cables are doubled up with ramp door closed right now, but they measure 120" long...10' within an inch plus or minus....Hope this helps.

Not sure of their length, but you possibly were issued 2 cables for the side patio model deck by mistake...

That would make sense. I was racking my brain wondering why they would make a cable that size for. I now need to search for picture showing the side patio deck, thought their attachment points were the same as rear patio decks...

schew

So Heartland was kind enough to send me a second pair of cables. But when I installed them, they seemed too long as now the ramp deck angles down, past 90°, and isn't parallel with the garage floor. The deck is no where close to square to the doorframe.
I took pictures and sent them to Heartland, and after much discussion they said that the replacement cables they sent are in fact the correct cables. Furthermore, they told me if I wanted the deck to be "more level", I could reposition the attachment point on the door 1" closer towards the hinge. He made it sound as if at this point it was more a question of personal preference as rather than the fact a deck should normally be somewhat level.

As of now my deck is more of a ramp than a deck! As you can see in one of the pictures, the deck has dropped more than 2" in a span of 24" . Can this be right??
If any owners of the TQ31 could kindly send me pictures of their deck, I'd greatly appreciate it. Please note in particular the photos showing how the deck sits in relationship with the framing square I used.

Check out these pictures and let me know if you guys think the deck is where it should be. Am I crazy?

Attachments

• 20170227_145849.jpg
    20170227_145849.jpg
    73.8 KB · Views: 91
  • 20170227_150037.jpg
    20170227_150037.jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 79
  • 20170227_150135.jpg
    20170227_150135.jpg
    68.3 KB · Views: 86
  • 20170227_145731.jpg
    20170227_145731.jpg
    68.8 KB · Views: 77

avvidclif

Time to talk to Heartland, again. That's not right. And moving the mounts leaves open holes. I've never put a square to mine but it's close enough I never saw a problem. Out of square would have been very noticeable to me. I would raise the deck to level/square and see how much shorter the new cables need to be and tell that to them.

schew

Torque TQ31 patio cables, wrong length?

When setting up my patio deck, I noticed that the deck isn't level, and I mean by a large margin.
I've been in talks with Heartland and after forwarding measurements of attachment points and cable lengths, they concluded they the cables are in fact the correct cables.
For those of you that have a patio deck, I'm reaching out to you for your feedback and experience.

When set up, is your deck level with the rv's floorplan?
Does it noticeably slope downwards towards the rear?
I placed a framing square against the doorframe and found that the deck drops over 2inches in the first 24 inches!
They said this is normal, how can this be!!!
Please look at my photos and let's hear your opinions...

Attachments

• 20170227_145731.jpg
    20170227_145731.jpg
    68.8 KB · Views: 56
  • 20170227_145849.jpg
    20170227_145849.jpg
    73.8 KB · Views: 51
  • 20170227_150135.jpg
    20170227_150135.jpg
    68.3 KB · Views: 51
Last edited by a moderator:

TxRoadWarrior362

Re: Torque TQ31 patio cables, wrong length?

When setting up my patio deck, I noticed that the deck isn't level, and I mean by a large margin.
I've been in talks with Heartland and after forwarding measurements of attachment points and cable lengths, they concluded they the cables are in fact the correct cables.
For those of you that have a patio deck, I'm reaching out to you for your feedback and experience.

When set up, is your deck level with the rv's floorplan?
Does it noticeably slope downwards towards the rear?
I placed a framing square against the doorframe and found that the deck drops over 2inches in the first 24 inches!
They said this is normal, how can this be!!!
Please look at my photos and let's hear your opinions...

ours is level, even with this fat boy sitting on it.

schew

Ended up making my own cables as I have the necessary thimbles, sleeves, hydraulic press and wire rope to make them. I find it unfortunate that heartland couldnt help resolve this problem as it was obvious, there was an issue with either the cable lengths or the placementof the attachment points.

Just picked up my 325 2 weeks ago and my cables are too long also, I haven't had a chance to take it back to the dealer yet