accordion doors? (to replace pocket doors)

myla296

Thanks for reading this...

I'm on an overhaul of the bathroom on a 2010 Road Warrior 305 and took apart the frame of the doorway to the bathroom via the bedroom since it was easier and will allow me to fit a 2' tall galvanized tank (3' diameter) as my new shower platform. Now that I'm looking at this opening, I am considering my options. By leaving that doorway wide, if I have a problem with the shower in the future, I can move forward with repairs without having to expand that doorway again (it was 21" and I needed to clear at least 24"). So...

I am not reading the best thing about accordion doors...any thoughts? If not accordion, other options?

Pro: wider doorway
Con: people seem to wind up hating them

Thanks for any thoughts! (why does this website flip images sideways???)
File Feb 03, 9 46 28 PM.jpg

Westwind

Not a fan of accordion doors in moving vehicles, they move too. Maybe you could fabricate a 24 inch pocket door. Not much of a difference in dimensions and you might find a stock HD door that fits.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
If there's room when it's slid open, maybe a "barn door" style, on the outside of the opening. Since you have a shower "trough", this might be appropriate. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

porthole

Retired
Thanks for reading this...

I'm on an overhaul of the bathroom on a 2010 Road Warrior 305 and took apart the frame of the doorway to the bathroom via the bedroom since it was easier and will allow me to fit a 2' tall galvanized tank (3' diameter) as my new shower platform. Now that I'm looking at this opening, I am considering my options. By leaving that doorway wide, if I have a problem with the shower in the future, I can move forward with repairs without having to expand that doorway again (it was 21" and I needed to clear at least 24"). So...

I am not reading the best thing about accordion doors...any thoughts? If not accordion, other options?

Pro: wider doorway
Con: people seem to wind up hating them

Thanks for any thoughts! (why does this website flip images sideways???)
View attachment 49671

We have a 2010 Cyclone 3010, essentially the same trailer.

My first thought is - what are you doing?

Second, the pocket doors of that era are probably the best doors Heartland has done.
On the Cyclone, at least the doors just about fill the opening (1.5" gap at the bottom).
Fit well
Are six panel
Have latches and locks

And - are finished on both sides of the door (true pocket door) instead of being hung like a barn door (Landmark Newport).

Personally I would really dislike an accordion door. And when I have seen them in trailers, there is not doubt they were installed for convenience and cost savings.