Ram 5500

ramdually4100king

Has anyone thought about or is towing with a 5500?

My 3500 is getting old and I have the opportunity to get a new 2016 ram 5500 for a really good price (about $20000 less than a new 3500). I would also be upgrading from 4x2 to 4x4. I needed 4x4 on my last trip and not having it sucked. I'd put a CM truckbed (TM model) on it for storage and a b&w turnoverball comes with the bed. I've looked into commercial insurance and it is 1/3 of the price I currently pay for the 3500.

I just don't see a down side to having a truck with more storage and higher tow rating? Any useful advice would be helpful. And No I'm not going to look at fords. They wouldn't stand behind their warrantee on a previous vehicle and I'll never give them another cent.

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

The down side is it will ride like a tank. The good side is the wife won't want to ride with you anymore and she'll follow you in her owe car.
LOL

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

JWalker

Northeast Region Director-Retired
I'm not positive, but a heard the Chassy-Cabs do not have the higher torque and HP numbers.

LBR

Has anyone thought about or is towing with a 5500?

My 3500 is getting old and I have the opportunity to get a new 2016 ram 5500 for a really good price (about $20000 less than a new 3500). I would also be upgrading from 4x2 to 4x4. I needed 4x4 on my last trip and not having it sucked. I'd put a CM truckbed (TM model) on it for storage and a b&w turnoverball comes with the bed. I've looked into commercial insurance and it is 1/3 of the price I currently pay for the 3500.

I just don't see a down side to having a truck with more storage and higher tow rating? Any useful advice would be helpful. And No I'm not going to look at fords. They wouldn't stand behind their warrantee on a previous vehicle and I'll never give them another cent.
We have had a 5 series Ford truck for 13 years and tow with it. Worst thing I've run into with this setup is finding proper insurance for both it and the TH on the same plan.

ramdually4100king

The 3500's actually have the highest tow rating of any of the Rams.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I just looked it up. The 5500 has 800lbs more than the 3500.

The 3500 with the max tow package and only 4.10 gears is $70000. I'm looking at a 5500 with 4.88 gears for $45000. After adding the flatbed it's $51000. That's $19000 I can use to register it in the PROC. (People's republic of CA)

I will be taking it to NE and registering it there for a 10th of the price. I also don't need a commercial license like I would in CA.

danemayer

The 3500 with the max tow package and only 4.10 gears is $70000. I'm looking at a 5500 with 4.88 gears for $45000. After adding the flatbed it's $51000. That's $19000 I can use to register it in the PROC. (People's republic of CA)

I will be taking it to NE and registering it there for a 10th of the price. I also don't need a commercial license like I would in CA.

Two things you might add to your list of considerations: 1) have you got an insurance quote? Most companies will treat a 5500 as a commercial vehicle, even if you plan only personal use. That may affect availability and cost of coverage. 2) have you investigated how to establish NE as your domicile so you can survive a challege from PROC?.

firemailwv

It really doesn't matter, because I'm sure the truck will do whatever you need it to, but where are you seeing that? 31210 is the highest tow rating for the 3500. The highest I see for a 5500 is 30300.

sengli

Wow, 4.88 gears means you be screaming at about 2500rpm at around 60MPH. My rig with 3.73's stays around 1600rpm at 62MPH.

ramdually4100king

Two things you might add to your list of considerations: 1) have you got an insurance quote? Most companies will treat a 5500 as a commercial vehicle, even if you plan only personal use. That may affect availability and cost of coverage. 2) have you investigated how to establish NE as your domicile so you can survive a challege from PROC?.

Yes, progressive commercial will insure for private use for $860 a year with gap coverage and 100 miles a day for yearly mileage estimate. So as long as I don't go over 36500 miles in a year I'm good. There were many of those questions when I called for a quote.

I'm in the military so I can claim any state as my residence. My family is in NE though so makes it easer. CA already challenged me for licensing a car in CA and not filing a state tax return. I faxed a copy of my military ID to the judge and he threw the case out. Win for me.

LBR

Wow, 4.88 gears means you be screaming at about 2500rpm at around 60MPH. My rig with 3.73's stays around 1600rpm at 62MPH.
Not sure about the Ram 5500, but that is what mine has and does....4.88:1, 2500RPM, 60 MPH.

ramdually4100king

It really doesn't matter, because I'm sure the truck will do whatever you need it to, but where are you seeing that? 31210 is the highest tow rating for the 3500. The highest I see for a 5500 is 30300.

You are correct. The difference is with what you can put in the truck. The 3500 can carry 7200lbs. The 5500 can carry 11000lbs. My cyclone has a hitch weight of 4500 pounds leaving leas then 3000 pounds for me the family, 50gal aux tank, hitch and tools. I'd rather have a buffer then ridding the upper limit.

Wow, I didn't know there was that much difference between the 4.10 and 4.88. With the 4.10 I do 70 at 2300rpm. I guess I'll take being able to go over 40 towing up a hill over speed.

If you come upon a 5500 towing a cyclone at 55 in southern CA it'll probably be us.

LBR

You are correct. The difference is with what you can put in the truck. The 3500 can carry 7200lbs. The 5500 can carry 11000lbs. My cyclone has a hitch weight of 4500 pounds leaving leas then 3000 pounds for me the family, 50gal aux tank, hitch and tools. I'd rather have a buffer then ridding the upper limit.

Wow, I didn't know there was that much difference between the 4.10 and 4.88. With the 4.10 I do 70 at 2300rpm. I guess I'll take being able to go over 40 towing up a hill over speed.

If you come upon a 5500 towing a cyclone at 55 in southern CA it'll probably be us.
Congrats when you get it....Should be a solid truck hauling the CY!....

jayc

Texas-South Chapter Leaders
A buddy of mine had a 5500 with a tow bed and traded it in for a 3500 with pickup bed. He hated the harsh ride, the detuned motor and terrible mileage.

ramdually4100king

Congrats when you get it....Should be a solid truck hauling the CY!....

I'm waiting on taxes. We finally sold our house and the banks don't want to give us a 1099s (long story). Once we have that I'll know how much I'll have for a down payment.

I just wanted to see if anyone else was towing with a 5500 and how it was. I have a feeling being able to carry my tools and RV accessories will out weigh bad gas mileage.

jayc

Texas-South Chapter Leaders
I forgot to mention that there is no place to carry your spare tire. My buddy carried his in the trailer front storage compartment.

szewczyk_john

I was in this same position a week ago. I decided on going with the 3500. The 5500 gets you better steering, bigger brakes & rotors. The down side was fuel mileage and in the state of PA insurances and registration fees. I also got a Laramie trim package for the same amount that I was looking at a less attractive trim package within the 5500. Also consider that half of the $20,000 under sticker is going to go to adding a towing bed. So next I figured in the fact that mine is a daily driver and that my trailer by no means requires the use of a 5500 and I decided to go with the 3500. Also repairs and maintenance is going to be more on the 5500. I have state farm insurance and that was also cheaper to go with he 3500 by a considerable amount.